[Amazon Canada] Samsung Smartthings Hub V3 and Sensors 20% off

• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2019 9:49 am
[OP]
Jul 1, 2009
107 posts
161 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] Samsung Smartthings Hub V3 and Sensors 20% off

Edit 2: Sale has restarted as of May 1, 2019-05-01. Not sure how much longer the sale will continue but the v3 hub and all the v3 sensors are back on sale for 20% off.

The Samsung Smartthings Hub v3 is the latest version released back in the October '18 timeframe. It's currently on sale at Amazon.ca for $20 off, 20% off as its usually $100. If you're into a home automation / smart home setup and need Zigbee / Z-Wave device control this is the hub you'll want (controls things like Schlage door locks, contact sensors, motion sensors, smart switches and outlets, etc). Its automation support is fantastic, although some prefer and indeed still use v2 of this hub and software for various good reasons. You can use both versions of the software with the V3 hub as long as you first integrate your sensors with v3.

Here's a review from Tom's Guide.

In addition, all the new v3 sensors are currently on sale for 20% off: SmartThings Smart Button for $19.99 (save $5), SmartThings Motion Sensor for $27.99 (save $7), SmartThings Multi-Purpose Sensor for $23.99 (save $6), SmartThings Outlet Smart Plug for $39.99 (save $10) and the SmartThings Water Leak Sensor for $23.99 (save $6).

Discussion from previous Amazon Canada sale:
amazon-ca-samsung-smartthings-hub-v3-79 ... f-2257898/

Last edited by Elrondolio on May 1st, 2019 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
80 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11888 posts
3855 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I've been waiting for their leak sensors to go on sale so I will finally pick up a couple for the basement and laundry room. I've been using Xiaomi leak sensors but one of them keeps crapping out. Hopefully the ST brand will be better.

These are also on sale for the same discounted price at Lowe's:

https://www.lowes.ca/articles/samsung-s ... martthings
Sep 8, 2008
635 posts
165 upvotes
Are the Samsung sensors Z-wave? I’m looking for extra sensors for my Ring alarm. I.e water sensors
Feb 2, 2010
437 posts
239 upvotes
Cambridge
How is this better than the V2?

EDIT: Found my own answer in previous thread, it looks like I'll stay with the V2 for now. Think I'll pick up some of the Samsung water and MP sensors though. Thanks OP.
Last edited by Tapout123 on Apr 17th, 2019 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11888 posts
3855 upvotes
Toronto, ON
zeeden wrote:
Apr 17th, 2019 8:02 am
Are the Samsung sensors Z-wave? I’m looking for extra sensors for my Ring alarm. I.e water sensors
According to the product description they are zigbee.
Sep 13, 2015
975 posts
807 upvotes
Alberta
Best Buy is now also offering the same promotion. Previously it was written that you had to buy a hub + 3 sensors to receive the promotion but it worked with any 4 or more Smartthings devices. Now there are no restrictions on how many you buy to get the discount, matching this offer. I ordered 20 sensors already from Best Buy, but I think I will order a few more motion sensors. Thanks op!
Mar 15, 2005
428 posts
161 upvotes
I have a sheild link and kind of gave up on smart things when the xiaomi sensors I bought wouldn't hold a connection to it.

Thinking of giving it another shot with this deal.

Should I buy a v3 hub to work with my xiaomi sensors or official sensors to work with my sheild link?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
5426 posts
461 upvotes
Ottawa
I purchased my hub during the previous sale but still haven’t used it because I didn’t get a chance to get any sensors. So is xiaomi sensors not worth it? Do we have to get the Sammy versions?
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11888 posts
3855 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jeeva86 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2019 8:36 am
I purchased my hub during the previous sale but still haven’t used it because I didn’t get a chance to get any sensors. So is xiaomi sensors not worth it? Do we have to get the Sammy versions?
The samsung sensors are officially supported and very easy to pair to the hub. The Xiaomi sensors require 3rd party device handler and a method to get it recognized and paired to the hub. It is not as intuitive as the official sensors, but it is also very cheap to buy. So each have their pros and cons.
Sep 13, 2015
975 posts
807 upvotes
Alberta
I can't speak for the Xiaomi sensors, but the ST sensors work extremely well with instant response times. I'm mostly only using motion and multipurpose sensors to trigger hue lights and TP-Link switches.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1662 posts
605 upvotes
Port Coquitlam, BC
jeeva86 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2019 8:36 am
Xiaomi sensors work decently enough if you can figure out how to set them up. They take a long time to arrive from China, and don't include good instructions, generally requiring a lot of research. The Samsung ones are a lot more straightforward.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
5867 posts
633 upvotes
discoblues wrote:
Apr 17th, 2019 8:13 am
I have a sheild link and kind of gave up on smart things when the xiaomi sensors I bought wouldn't hold a connection to it.

Thinking of giving it another shot with this deal.

Should I buy a v3 hub to work with my xiaomi sensors or official sensors to work with my sheild link?
Your problem is Xiaomi sensors, not the Shield Link or hub. Getting V3 probably doesn't make much of a difference. Just buy the Samsung Smartthings sensors and it will work flawlessly.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
5426 posts
461 upvotes
Ottawa
GeeCee wrote:
Apr 17th, 2019 8:47 am
Xiaomi sensors work decently enough if you can figure out how to set them up. They take a long time to arrive from China, and don't include good instructions, generally requiring a lot of research. The Samsung ones are a lot more straightforward.
Works for me, do xiaomi's go on sale or is it pretty much the same price all the time on GB, LITB, etc.?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1662 posts
605 upvotes
Port Coquitlam, BC
jeeva86 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2019 9:08 am
Works for me, do xiaomi's go on sale or is it pretty much the same price all the time on GB, LITB, etc.?
On occasion, but with all the different sales on those sites, it's hard to keep track. As an example, though, I picked up temperature sensors for $8.59 a piece from GB (missing vibration sensor and door close sensor vs Samsung multifunction sensor so not a direct comparison) back in November 2018 as part of a 'flash sale'. Looking at the same part right now, there's another 'flash sale' for $11.99 a piece.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27188 posts
13184 upvotes
Ottawa
jeeva86 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2019 9:08 am
I bought several different sensors (door/window, motion, push button and water sensors) a few years ago between USD $10-$15 each.