Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Samsung Smartthings Hub V3 and Sensors 20% off

• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2019 9:49 am
Oct 6, 2018
293 posts
338 upvotes
Lush78 wrote: I just purchased another 3 motion sensors. I think my total in the past 2 weeks is 17 motion sensors, 4 multipurpose, and 2 buttons.
Out of curiosity, what are you using all the motion sensors for? The online reviews say it's not consistent on sensing and hence I haven't bought any. Maybe you can change my mind...
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3235 posts
3111 upvotes
Alberta
I've been putting them in every room. Some examples would include one under my dining room table to turn on the chandelier when I sit to the table only and not walking past it. My bathroom alone has 4, including a separate sensor for my closet and toilet room. and shower.
Entrance, hallways, stairs, basement, play room, office, garage, deck, living room, kids room, it adds up fast. My goal is to never manually operate a light switch again and program automation based on the time of the day. For example, my bathroom lights only come on at 30% during the night and early morning. Outside lights only after sunset and before sunrise.
Last edited by Lush78 on Apr 17th, 2019 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33927 posts
19769 upvotes
Ottawa
Chipppy wrote: Out of curiosity, what are you using all the motion sensors for? The online reviews say it's not consistent on sensing and hence I haven't bought any. Maybe you can change my mind...
I'm currently using some to automatically turn off lights in specific rooms, where there's no motion after (X)mins.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3850 posts
1380 upvotes
Montreal
Chipppy wrote: Out of curiosity, what are you using all the motion sensors for? The online reviews say it's not consistent on sensing and hence I haven't bought any. Maybe you can change my mind...
I've currently got racoons in my attic. Maybe a few of these to let me know when they have left so that I can then try to close up their entry/exit points. Oh, or maybe someone can suggest something it could trigger in the attic to scare the beejesus out of those f'n rodents, lol.
Last edited by GT!! on Apr 17th, 2019 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33927 posts
19769 upvotes
Ottawa
GT!! wrote: I've currently got raccons in my attic. Maybe a few of these to let me know when they have left so that I can then try to close up their entry/exit points. Oh, or maybe someone can suggest something it could trigger in the attic to scare the beejesus out of those f'n rodents, lol.
Best to call pest control for your issue Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2009
1419 posts
2323 upvotes
Lush78 wrote: I just purchased another 3 motion sensors. I think my total in the past 2 weeks is 17 motion sensors, 4 multipurpose, and 2 buttons.
Wow, @Lush78, thats a lot of sensors. I admire what you are going to accomplish and I'm sure they'll all eventually pay for themselves over the longer haul. There's a reason many newer commercial spaces use motion sensors to save on their hydro bill.

Might want to think about picking up some water leak sensors if appropriate. I keep one behind all my toilets on the floor, under the pipes beneath all my sinks and one under the dishwasher and laundry washer. I actually had a leak in my roof this winter in the air stack above the exhaust in my master bathroom and the sensor alerted me to it immediately. Probably saved a huge amount of money not having to replace any flooring. Take care.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3850 posts
1380 upvotes
Montreal
vkizzle wrote: Best to call pest control for your issue Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
I'm sure you are right, but playing with sensors and stuff sounds more fun!
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3235 posts
3111 upvotes
Alberta
Elrondolio wrote: Wow, @Lush78, thats a lot of sensors. I admire what you are going to accomplish and I'm sure they'll all eventually pay for themselves over the longer haul. There's a reason many newer commercial spaces use motion sensors to save on their hydro bill.

Might want to think about picking up some water leak sensors if appropriate. I keep one behind all my toilets on the floor, under the pipes beneath all my sinks and one under the dishwasher and laundry washer. I actually had a leak in my roof this winter in the air stack above the exhaust in my master bathroom and the sensor alerted me to it immediately. Probably saved a huge amount of money not having to replace any flooring. Take care.
Thank you. I have a sensor in my sump after my pump failed a couple of years ago. I may add some of these water sensors to locations like you described. I fear the end of the battery life cycle for all these sensors lol.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33927 posts
19769 upvotes
Ottawa
Elrondolio wrote: Wow, @Lush78, thats a lot of sensors. I admire what you are going to accomplish and I'm sure they'll all eventually pay for themselves over the longer haul. There's a reason many newer commercial spaces use motion sensors to save on their hydro bill.

Water sensors are good for warning, but what are you doing to prevent the flooding?
I plan to buy and install a z-wave main water shutoff adapter and use the water sensors as triggers.
https://www.amazon.ca/Dome-Automation-W ... B01LX3JFR8
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3235 posts
3111 upvotes
Alberta
vkizzle wrote: Water sensors are good for warning, but what are you doing to prevent the flooding?
I plan to buy and install a z-wave main water shutoff adapter and use the water sensors as triggers.
https://www.amazon.ca/Dome-Automation-W ... B01LX3JFR8
That would be the ideal setup. I may look into this next for any appliance or plumbing failures.

I have my water sensor located down inside my sump above the float switch limit. Nothing I can do to turn off that water supply though. But I should have enough time with a warning to deal with it before any flooding.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2008
1074 posts
432 upvotes
OK, I'm going to this comment at the risk of sounding really stupid..

but what are these hubs (such as this one and Hubitat) used for? Is it required? Can't you get all your smart devices (cameras, sensors, etc) and just use the app that comes with it? Or is the hub used to combine everything? Hoping for a "explain like I'm five" kind of explanation here for a n00b.. I'm looking to get into DIY home surveillance, and wondering if this is a good starting point.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33927 posts
19769 upvotes
Ottawa
fancypantsfloyd wrote: OK, I'm going to this comment at the risk of sounding really stupid..

but what are these hubs (such as this one and Hubitat) used for? Is it required? Can't you get all your smart devices (cameras, sensors, etc) and just use the app that comes with it? Or is the hub used to combine everything? Hoping for a "explain like I'm five" kind of explanation here for a n00b.. I'm looking to get into DIY home surveillance, and wondering if this is a good starting point.
The Hub is essentially the central nervous system, that integrates all of the devices.
You will have to decide on whether you want to use Samsung Smartthings, which operates via the cloud or the Hubitat which is all local processing.
Aug 13, 2006
753 posts
530 upvotes
Ottawa
fancypantsfloyd wrote: OK, I'm going to this comment at the risk of sounding really stupid..

Not all smart devices are equal. Sometime you can getaway with just an app and device itself (like smart switches for example). That's because most of smart switches use WiFi and your phone uses WiFi so they can communicate. The problem about WiFi is power consumption. It consumes a lot of power and usually device has to be constantly plugged in to work (that's why most of the smart switches are WiFi). But for something like water leak sensor it doesn't make sense to run a wire. That's where Z-Wave, ZigBee and other lower power consumption standards step in. Z-Wave devices could run years just powered by a small battery. So, now the question is how do you talk to these devices? Your phone doesn't have Z-Wave or ZigBee. That's where you need a hub. Hub supports Z-Wave and WiFi. Your phone "talks" to hub, hub talks to sensor.
Aug 17, 2018
169 posts
80 upvotes
Price matched with aditional 10% in Lowes. Got hub, 1 multipurpose, 1 button and 2 motion sensors.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)