Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Samsung Smartthings Hub V3 and Sensors 20% off

• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2019 9:49 am
Aug 13, 2006
753 posts
529 upvotes
Ottawa
jeeva86 wrote: What do folks do if you have a few google home minis already? Do you just ports all devices to ST? What’s the best way to manage if you have both?
They can peacefully coexist. If you need some device in both systems, then add it ot ST and expose it to Google home otherwise just use Google Home.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
6116 posts
720 upvotes
Ottawa
eugene_2005 wrote: They can peacefully coexist. If you need some device in both systems, then add it ot ST and expose it to Google home otherwise just use Google Home.
Is ST, then GH easier or GH to ST easier for adding devices or does the order not matter?
Aug 13, 2006
753 posts
529 upvotes
Ottawa
jeeva86 wrote: Is ST, then GH easier or GH to ST easier for adding devices or does the order not matter?
It all depends. Some devices could only work with GH through ST (like Z-Wave or ZigBee) so there is no other way as to add them to ST first. In regards of other devices if you need them in ST then provision them there first. If you don't, then don't use ST to control those devices at all. So you really don't need to go from GH -> ST.
Oct 6, 2018
234 posts
255 upvotes
I'd put all devices in ST first, then link GH to ST. That way you can automate anything via ST or by voice through GH.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
6116 posts
720 upvotes
Ottawa
Chipppy wrote: I'd put all devices in ST first, then link GH to ST. That way you can automate anything via ST or by voice through GH.
Can you just link with a magic button? I have nothing that is st specific yet. Just a few smart plugs, myQ, switches.
Aug 13, 2006
753 posts
529 upvotes
Ottawa
jeeva86 wrote: Can you just link with a magic button? I have nothing that is st specific yet. Just a few smart plugs, myQ, switches.
If you are taking about ST button then no. ST button is ZigBee so you have to go through ST hub to access it.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
12974 posts
4675 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jeeva86 wrote: Can you just link with a magic button? I have nothing that is st specific yet. Just a few smart plugs, myQ, switches.
@jeeva86 might be asking whether pairing devices to ST hub is as simple as pressing a connect button? It's almost as simple, but you do need to open the SmartThings app on a device and initiate the "Add a Thing" button. Then as long as your device is on, it should detect it and let you add to the ST hub.
Oct 3, 2006
108 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I'm new to smart home tech but want to piece together a basic home security system. Is it possible to connect the ST motion sensor to trigger a TP smart switch connected to a YI home cam?'
To further complicate things, is it possible to only trigger this sequence when our Ring alarm kit is armed and recognizes us as away from home?

Thanks in advance for any tips.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
12974 posts
4675 upvotes
Toronto, ON
k32m wrote: I'm new to smart home tech but want to piece together a basic home security system. Is it possible to connect the ST motion sensor to trigger a TP smart switch connected to a YI home cam?'
To further complicate things, is it possible to only trigger this sequence when our Ring alarm kit is armed and recognizes us as away from home?

Thanks in advance for any tips.
It's definitely possible, but you'll need to use custom device handlers to integrate the Ring Alarm and TP-link devices into SmartThings:

Ring Alarm integration
https://github.com/asishrs/smartthings-ringalarmv2

TP-link integration
https://community.smartthings.com/t/rel ... ntegration

Then you can use CoRE/WebCoRE to put together a piston (routine) that will turn on your TP smart switch so that your Yi home cam will turn on, with the condition that the piston only run when your Ring status is in away armed mode.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
1405 posts
127 upvotes
Can anyone explain the TP-Link handler ? I currently have 2 TP-Link switches, 2 plugs for swag lamps, 14 sengled bulbs, and Schlage lock. All connected to smartthings minus the TP-Link. We just purchased 1 motion sensor, 1 water sensor ( sump pump pit) and 1 ST button. I’ve setup an automation that when mention is detected and the lock engages to shut off the sengled lights. I’d like to add the tplink devices, but I’m so confused on how to do a handler, I’m reading I need a raspberries pi device. Anyone share some step by step instructions? I also just purchased a Wemo switch from amazon since it supposedly natively talks to ST.

Thanks in advance

Winky
Jul 9, 2010
42 posts
38 upvotes
mrwinky wrote: Can anyone explain the TP-Link handler ? I currently have 2 TP-Link switches, 2 plugs for swag lamps, 14 sengled bulbs, and Schlage lock. All connected to smartthings minus the TP-Link. We just purchased 1 motion sensor, 1 water sensor ( sump pump pit) and 1 ST button. I’ve setup an automation that when mention is detected and the lock engages to shut off the sengled lights. I’d like to add the tplink devices, but I’m so confused on how to do a handler, I’m reading I need a raspberries pi device. Anyone share some step by step instructions? I also just purchased a Wemo switch from amazon since it supposedly natively talks to ST.

Thanks in advance

Winky
Read the guide at this link on how to install custom smartapps/device handlers made by the community:
https://community.smartthings.com/t/faq ... ssic/16772

Then use that guide and knowledge to install the tp link smartapp that was posted right above your post. I did it recently, works great, regret not doing it sooner.
rvs007 wrote: It's definitely possible, but you'll need to use custom device handlers to integrate the Ring Alarm and TP-link devices into SmartThings:

Ring Alarm integration
https://github.com/asishrs/smartthings-ringalarmv2

TP-link integration
https://community.smartthings.com/t/rel ... ntegration

Then you can use CoRE/WebCoRE to put together a piston (routine) that will turn on your TP smart switch so that your Yi home cam will turn on, with the condition that the piston only run when your Ring status is in away armed mode.
Webcore is the best
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2004
1336 posts
201 upvotes
EDM Area
So if I am correct this would probably be the best way to combine my z-wave home security with my other wi-fi based plugs/bulbs and google home? I know that google home doesn't handle the z-wave directly (hey google tell alarm.com to...) but I was want something more natural for easier google home use?
Feb 7, 2010
229 posts
42 upvotes
Kingston
I bought a smarthings hub, but for somereason I can't register it? I looked online and it says the v3 is geo locked to the US only. Can anyone inform me of how they got their hub to register?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32122 posts
17969 upvotes
Ottawa
aznmafia wrote: I bought a smarthings hub, but for somereason I can't register it? I looked online and it says the v3 is geo locked to the US only. Can anyone inform me of how they got their hub to register?
Initial setup can be a pain.
Call in for support.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
2734 posts
2507 upvotes
Alberta
Strange... I have the v3 hub and don't recall anything out of the ordinary when I set it up...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)