[Amazon.ca] SanDisk 2TB Extreme PRO Portable External SSD - updated $399.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2020 11:07 pm
[OP]
Jan 13, 2009
354 posts
340 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] SanDisk 2TB Extreme PRO Portable External SSD - updated $399.99

SanDisk 2TB Extreme PRO Portable External SSD (SDSSDE80-2T00-G25) - Updated price $399.99)

It was hovering at $569.99 for the longest time.
For people who work with huge files, on the road, and have extra cash. ;)

If you really need it now, it's nice to save $170.
Not to be confused with the earlier version (SanDisk 2TB Extreme Portable SSD - SDSSDE60-2T00-G25 - $416.99).

"It's just not fast, it's super-fast!"
Last edited by Alfred25 on Jun 30th, 2020 10:33 pm, edited 11 times in total.
26 replies
Apr 14, 2017
188 posts
215 upvotes
Lol nice choice of price 512
Jul 21, 2011
795 posts
703 upvotes
Knowhere
For ssd prive without external case: 2tb is 512, then 1tb is abt 260. You know the nvme sn750 1tb is sold for 189..... And 2tb drive 's per tb price is often chaper than 1tb version.....

Like other said, seller is asking way too mch.
May 4, 2017
105 posts
105 upvotes
Montreal
You should do some research before you get a 10Gbps external SSD, especially if you have an AMD motherboard (X570, to be exact)
I got a Samsung T7 Touch and it kept crashing with my X570 board.
Also be careful with NVMe enclosures (in case you go for a PCIe M.2 SSD and an enclosure), some chips don't work with X570 (AFAIK the best one to get is the Realtek chip -- there is one from Plugable that works), also some don't play nicely with certain SSDs.

PS: If you want to get a PCIe SSD you don't need to get a super expensive one, you'll get bottlenecked by the 10Gbps USB bandwidth.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10055 posts
6107 upvotes
Can you add "External / Portable rugged SSD" to the title?
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10055 posts
6107 upvotes
NirajP wrote: Way too expensive, I would recommend getting https://www.amazon.ca/XPG-SX8200-Gen3x4 ... ref=sr_1_2 with https://www.amazon.ca/ROG-Arion-Aluminu ... wc-p13n2_0 for fanciest 2 TB portable SSD [There are cheaper enclosures too] and get similar or better performance for $100 less
Agree.

And for a slightly more rugged enclosure, this is an option: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07MZQF1H6/
Jun 4, 2019
46 posts
68 upvotes
muratp wrote: You should do some research before you get a 10Gbps external SSD, especially if you have an AMD motherboard (X570, to be exact)
I got a Samsung T7 Touch and it kept crashing with my X570 board.
Also be careful with NVMe enclosures (in case you go for a PCIe M.2 SSD and an enclosure), some chips don't work with X570 (AFAIK the best one to get is the Realtek chip -- there is one from Plugable that works), also some don't play nicely with certain SSDs.

PS: If you want to get a PCIe SSD you don't need to get a super expensive one, you'll get bottlenecked by the 10Gbps USB bandwidth.
I would still recommend getting fastest but economical NVMe drive, for thunderbolt will be 2021 standard and there will be lots of thunderbolt enclosure then. Every NVMe drive you buy is for at least 5 years, and so it should at least be fast enough provided the option already exists
Aug 14, 2015
854 posts
561 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Me: "Wow, a 2tb microsd @ $512 is impressive"
(Clicks on thread)
Me: "oh..."
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2006
5458 posts
933 upvotes
NirajP wrote: Way too expensive, I would recommend getting https://www.amazon.ca/XPG-SX8200-Gen3x4 ... ref=sr_1_2 with https://www.amazon.ca/ROG-Arion-Aluminu ... wc-p13n2_0 for fanciest 2 TB portable SSD [There are cheaper enclosures too] and get similar or better performance for $100 less
If im not wrong, the problem with all of these SSD enclosures (OP and this) is that you need a pc to plug into... it's not very feasible when you're traveling without a laptop and you need to backup photos from phone or camera.
Jun 4, 2019
46 posts
68 upvotes
TruE SkiLLS wrote:
If im not wrong, the problem with all of these SSD enclosures (OP and this) is that you need a pc to plug into... it's not very feasible when you're traveling without a laptop and you need to backup photos from phone or camera.
I don't have camera to test, but I just tested the ROG enclosure with XPG 8200 Pro 1 TB on my Huawei Mate 20 Pro phone, and it works as if it would with any USB drive, also, I think anyone carrying 1 TB or higher capacity drive, would generally have a laptop with them, correct me if I am wrong
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2006
5458 posts
933 upvotes
NirajP wrote: I don't have camera to test, but I just tested the ROG enclosure with XPG 8200 Pro 1 TB on my Huawei Mate 20 Pro phone, and it works as if it would with any USB drive, also, I think anyone carrying 1 TB or higher capacity drive, would generally have a laptop with them, correct me if I am wrong
I think more and more content creators (photographer, videographer) are starting to travel without a laptop (maybe an ipad or something).

For the last few years, I've switched from a laptop to carrying a lot more SD cards instead, but at the same time I still want a backup option if available. A laptop significantly increases the weight of your pack and I'd gladly trade it for more camera batteries/sd cards. Not a big deal if you're staying around in one location and not having to lug your gear everywhere.
Jun 4, 2019
46 posts
68 upvotes
TruE SkiLLS wrote: I think more and more content creators (photographer, videographer) are starting to travel without a laptop (maybe an ipad or something).

For the last few years, I've switched from a laptop to carrying a lot more SD cards instead, but at the same time I still want a backup option if available. A laptop significantly increases the weight of your pack and I'd gladly trade it for more camera batteries/sd cards. Not a big deal if you're staying around in one location and not having to lug your gear everywhere.
Good to know, makes a case to test whether the enclosure+ssd works with camera for backup. It should if camera doesn't have cap on storage devices for their usb port
Jul 17, 2012
748 posts
290 upvotes
Kamloops
i got excited thinking it's microsd first. not about the price but thinking that is available in the market.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)