• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2021 10:22 pm
[OP]
Oct 19, 2009
515 posts
514 upvotes
toronto

[Amazon.ca] SanDisk 400GB Ultra microSDXC 120MB/s - $59.99

I just bought a switch and in the market for a microSD card. I found this highly recommended card at its historical lowest price by some price tracker.

It is ship from and sold by Amazon.ca
23 replies
Oct 19, 2014
79 posts
64 upvotes
Saint-Laurent, QC
Thanks op, in for 1 for my switch, hope it's good long term.
Apr 27, 2017
212 posts
284 upvotes
It's a decent $/GB card for handheld consoles as you don't really need the performance of U3 for legitimate uses. Anticipate more real world use V10 speeds (~80MB/sec read ~25MB/sec write) in best case scenarios, which is perfectly fine for the switch.

Just be forewarned, Sandisk and kingston like to use their proprietary USB stick speeds in their advertisements. Which in overly simplified terms; uses an overclocked USB card reader, to achieve well above standard maximums. For non-handheld console people or people who need to install .nsp files for their "backups" and home brewed software, you might want to check if you can budget a U3 card for improved write speeds.
Sep 23, 2010
790 posts
3030 upvotes
T Dot
Personally I'm very leery of buying sd from amazon bc of a number of people reporting fakes.
reddit, 2mos ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/RetroPie/comme ... eceived_5/
some rfd microsd discussion: ordered-micro-sd-card-amazon-fake-real-2383985/

Also I think it seems too good a deal to be true. amazon has regular 512gb at $86, bestbuy has a regular price of $300, seller is best buy. I know bb is inflated but something doesn't seem right when amazon is <1/3 the price. V10 and uhs1 are the same from what I just found out. https://www.sdcard.org/press/thoughtlea ... lications/
Last edited by aquaman123 on Aug 25th, 2021 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 4, 2017
394 posts
502 upvotes
Whitby
Question to the experts... what would be the best SD for smartphones? I use it a lot for video and pics and need something fast and reliable. Tks!
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2004
1808 posts
1116 upvotes
Toronto, ON
MrMello wrote: Question to the experts... what would be the best SD for smartphones? I use it a lot for video and pics and need something fast and reliable. Tks!
buy sandisk extreme from bhphotovideo.
Apr 27, 2017
212 posts
284 upvotes
MrMello wrote: Question to the experts... what would be the best SD for smartphones? I use it a lot for video and pics and need something fast and reliable. Tks!
The easy and obviously subjective answer is just pick up a decent U3 V30 card and get the best $/GB you can with decent write speeds. You could use meta data sites like cameramemoryspeeds dot com try to maximize IOPS, sequential write, 4kb random read/write speeds, etc but the differences are probably not noticeable in real world use. Also, IOPS specifically is a bit of a mixed bag at the moment as that is supposed to be what dictates faster cards but realistically the IOPS are still so low, you're always at a disadvantage using it vs built in storage. Really the problem with micro SD cards is they are always the slowest piece of storage on a phone so its best to use it like an external storage for pictures and videos you wont need to access on a regular basis before even thinking about filling it with apps or games.

They tried (or sorta did technically) to introduce a new standard (the excessive abbreviations and symbols on every card) called A1/A2 for IOPS (inputs/outputs per second). 1500/500 IOPS read/write for A1 and 4000/2000 IOPS read/write for A2 to be better for phones/apps/games/retropie/etc but multiple tests on devices like the raspberry pi 4 have shown A2 storage is for some reason slower, and even then the minimum sequential write speed standard is the same in either A1/A2.

I'd be less concerned about fakes on amazon and more concerned with the vendor if you aren't S&S from amazon. A simple h2testw or crystalmarkdisk test is sufficient enough to know whether the card is faulty or not performing as advertised. I've had BB lexar micro SD cards corrupt before amazon cards in my camera so either way you pray to RNGesus.
Aug 14, 2009
493 posts
811 upvotes
AB
JurassicFlop wrote: I'd be less concerned about fakes on amazon and more concerned with the vendor if you aren't S&S from amazon.
Isn't the issue with Amazon that they throw all items of the same SKU into a single bin, regardless of whether Amazon procured them directly or a 3rd-party sent them in, so you've got just as much chance of getting a counterfeit card if you buy one S&S by Amazon as you are if you buy from a 3rd-party FBA?
Sep 23, 2010
790 posts
3030 upvotes
T Dot
trendless wrote: Isn't the issue with Amazon that they throw all items of the same SKU into a single bin, regardless of whether Amazon procured them directly or a 3rd-party sent them in, so you've got just as much chance of getting a counterfeit card if you buy one S&S by Amazon as you are if you buy from a 3rd-party FBA?
It seems like you are right. (Take it with a grain of salt bc internet) from Reddit 1y ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch ... urce=share

I’m a former amazon employee, I can tell you that amazon is aware of the problem but it’s impossible to detect the fakes from the real ones, I worked at Phoenix 6 and on a slow day we got in over 100,000 items in a 10 hour shift. Anything that says fulfilled by amazon just means the vender sent it to the warehouse and when you buy it amazon it shipping it, even if it’s “shipped and sold by amazon” that’s why reporting the fakes to amazon is important since they can trace it back to who ever sold them those items. I remember one time we caught a case of micro sd cards (only 400 of them, they came in 25 packs and those came in a bigger box) that we found out were counterfeit because a customer reported it. Best thing I can say is buy it in a store or just return it to amazon
Jul 4, 2020
148 posts
127 upvotes
I received mine and put it into my Switch.

The packaging and everything looks as advertised, the system is saying there is 366GB of free space. I have no idea if that means it is a fake or not. Just letting everyone know.
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
16248 posts
21225 upvotes
Toronto
GimmeDatDeal wrote: I received mine and put it into my Switch.

The packaging and everything looks as advertised, the system is saying there is 366GB of free space. I have no idea if that means it is a fake or not. Just letting everyone know.
Manufacturers advertise using GB

1GB=1,000,000,000 byte
https://shop.westerndigital.com/en-ca/p ... 400G-GN6MA

The Switch is using GiB

Why your memory cards never match the size on the box.

400 gigabytes = 372.529 gibibytes and some of it is reserved for the filesystem
Destiny is all
Sep 23, 2010
790 posts
3030 upvotes
T Dot
GimmeDatDeal wrote: I received mine and put it into my Switch.

it would still be a good idea to test - you can use h2testw which is freeware
https://h2testw.en.lo4d.com/windows

scammers can still fake it so it shows the full amount available initially, but if it's only 30gb in reality it will start giving errors and overwriting
Feb 19, 2020
265 posts
269 upvotes
What's the best Microsd card to look out for the Steamdeck?
Jul 4, 2020
148 posts
127 upvotes
aquaman123 wrote: it would still be a good idea to test - you can use h2testw which is freeware
https://h2testw.en.lo4d.com/windows

scammers can still fake it so it shows the full amount available initially, but if it's only 30gb in reality it will start giving errors and overwriting
I'm running a test now - thank you!
Dec 25, 2009
990 posts
225 upvotes
JurassicFlop wrote: It's a decent $/GB card for handheld consoles as you don't really need the performance of U3 for legitimate uses. Anticipate more real world use V10 speeds (~80MB/sec read ~25MB/sec write) in best case scenarios, which is perfectly fine for the switch.

Just be forewarned, Sandisk and kingston like to use their proprietary USB stick speeds in their advertisements. Which in overly simplified terms; uses an overclocked USB card reader, to achieve well above standard maximums. For non-handheld console people or people who need to install .nsp files for their "backups" and home brewed software, you might want to check if you can budget a U3 card for improved write speeds.
Is there any on sale that you'd recommend?
Dec 1, 2018
427 posts
392 upvotes
ON
do you guys know of this sd card can work with raspberry pi 4 as a boot disk?
KUBA: Know Understand Believe and Act.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2009
6656 posts
5322 upvotes
M-Arkham
good price, but i swore to never spend more then $50 on a memory card, that way if it dies on me, i won't feel as much pain.
1x Virgin $45 for 50GB w/ unlimited can wide talk n unlimited txt
1x Fido $45 for 50GB w/ unlimited can wide talk n unlimited txt
1x koodo $45 for 50GB w/ unlimited can wide talk n unlimited txt
[OP]
Oct 19, 2009
515 posts
514 upvotes
toronto
Got mine. The package looks good. I Ran F3 on the card. Took me more than 5 hours. There is no corruption in the end. What a relief.