Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Schneider Electric APC UPS 425VA UPS Battery Backup & Surge Protector, APC UPS BackUPS (BE425M) $52.43

• Last Updated:
  • May 7th, 2020 6:03 pm
[OP]
Dec 7, 2004
323 posts
55 upvotes
Burlington

[Amazon.ca] Schneider Electric APC UPS 425VA UPS Battery Backup & Surge Protector, APC UPS BackUPS (BE425M) $52.43

I need to replace the UPS for my router, modem etc as frequent power blips are upsetting the devices until I recycle them. This one at amazon is not exactly a "hot deal" at about $17 less than almost anywhere else. Anyone have experience with it or suggestion for something better.?
84 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15950 posts
8817 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
sammytheone wrote: I need to replace the UPS for my router, modem etc as frequent power blips are upsetting the devices until I recycle them. This one at amazon is not exactly a "hot deal" at about $17 less than almost anywhere else. Anyone have experience with it or suggestion for something better.?
There's a good chance that the problem with your current UPS is that the battery inside of the UPS needs replacement so when a power blip happens, the UPS doesn't have enough battery power to keep going. For most UPSs, the batteries are easily replaceable if you have any experience with using a screwdriver as the instructions are typically available online.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2007
1022 posts
148 upvotes
Saskatchewan
xcell wrote: How about this one at cost -- APC UPS 650VA -- has a replaceable battery, whereas the 425VA does not and it's $76.99 (but yes, you need a Costco membership).

https://www.costco.ca/.product.100306912.html
You don’t need a Costco membership for (the majority of) website purchases.
Last edited by merciscool on May 5th, 2020 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
2993 posts
978 upvotes
Ottawa
xcell wrote: How about this one at cost -- APC UPS 650VA -- has a replaceable battery, whereas the 425VA does not and it's $76.99 (but yes, you need a Costco membership).

https://www.costco.ca/.product.100306912.html
FYI - if the price is displayed online (such as in this case), then that means no membership card is required to order it
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1330 posts
2113 upvotes
Canada, eh?
I have this model.

Works pretty well, saved me a few times during outages. However it died 3 weeks ago during another outage, not sure if it was the battery that was dead or the internal circuits.

Either way, used it for 2 out of the 3 year warranty period. Schneider replaced the entire unit for me at no cost.

For reference, have it plugged into 2 monitors, 1 performance PC, and speakers.
Aug 20, 2008
97 posts
44 upvotes
Montreal
Can you still use the UPS without battery?
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
4360 posts
770 upvotes
ronienra wrote: Can you still use the UPS without battery?
yes, it just means only the surge feature of the UPS will function
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15950 posts
8817 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
soupmaster666 wrote: In my experience no tools nor instructions are required. Open the door, pull out the old battery, connect the red and black wires to the new battery in the exact same manner, put the battery back in, put the door back on.

Sealed lead acid UPS batteries basically all have the same charging voltage, cut off voltage, capacity for size, terminal configuration, etc.
That's my experience as well. However, one cannot assume that random people you meet on random internet forms share someone's ability to take apart, order the broken part, replace said part, and then reassemble. If you can, then 1/4 of the questions on most forums would disappear!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15950 posts
8817 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
ronienra wrote: Can you still use the UPS without battery?
mingyang wrote: yes, it just means only the surge feature of the UPS will function
softech wrote: I thought it will keep beeping.. i had an old UPS before. .it keep beeping when the battery died
Yep. most of them do keep beeping. Some of them will have a beep cancellation function.
May 18, 2007
767 posts
1317 upvotes
Toronto
Tip: this would be decent protection for a home automation system (or anything else that's fairly important) running on a Raspberry Pi. (I have a similar setup)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15950 posts
8817 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
NOTE> It's much cheaper to buy the other branded battery rather than the APC one. You can typically get them at most industrial battery shops or electronics stores for about 1/2 of the price. Just bring the battery to them so that they can match it up.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15950 posts
8817 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
softech wrote: almost can but a new one....
I believe that's what APC wants... I've found that USED UPSs are the best deal provided you know where to get the 3rd party batteries.
Last edited by craftsman on May 3rd, 2020 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2860 posts
1167 upvotes
GTA
gotglint wrote: what are good reputable 3rd party batteries?

i always feel like these are such a waste cos most people throw them out once the battery is done in 3-5 years, but everything else in it is still useful!
ExcessUps canada
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
13706 posts
3766 upvotes
Scarberia
i think it was much cheaper when staples had that 25off coupon deal that worked on almost any items! kicking myself i never bought one
i think with coupon it was 50 all in tx
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15950 posts
8817 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
gotglint wrote: what are good reputable 3rd party batteries?

i always feel like these are such a waste cos most people throw them out once the battery is done in 3-5 years, but everything else in it is still useful!
Hard to say. But APC doesn't make batteries either... they rebrand other batteries.

One important thing about these batteries - they are lead-acid batteries so things that kill standard lead-acid batteries will kill these batteries as well. One thing I've found is that most UPSs try to squeeze the battery in the tightest space which has next to zero or zero ventilation which causes the battery to get warm which is BAD for lead-acid batteries especially sealed ones! Why? Because warm batteries may mean that the battery has to off-gas and off-gassing means that fluid will leave the battery through vents so the cells will dry out faster. Since these batteries are sealed, you can't top off the fluid in the cells so once the cells dry out, the battery is toast. If you can cool the battery better, you can probably extend it's life.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
14921 posts
3314 upvotes
Toronto
Keep in mind that if you are having power interruptions in your area, chances are the Bell/Rogers hardware outside of your home will also be impacted. This UPS may keep your modem powered on, but the power blip will require you to still power cycle the modem once the Rogers/Bell hardware outside of your home is back online.

I am not sure about Bell, but Rogers used to put battery backups on their hardware at the tap (outside of the home) when people got home phone. They stopped that as it was a pain for them to maintain. Now the just say that if you have any power interruptions in your area, your Rogers services will be impacted.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless