Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Scotchgard protector - Starting at $6.1 + tax (with S&S and coupon)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2018 9:35 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
4449 posts
4611 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] Scotchgard protector - Starting at $6.1 + tax (with S&S and coupon)

With $2.3 coupon and 15% off from S&S, the price will be starting at $6.1 + tax. There are varies types of protectors. Remember to pick the right one for your application. There are youtube videos provide reviews by people. You can google and watch them if you are unsure what it is. The product is made by 3M

12 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
4449 posts
4611 upvotes
There is a comparison chart near the bottom of the page. The red one can only apply on "Delicate or dry-clean-only fabrics", but the black one doesn't mention this limitation. However, the result may be the same. You can google it and see if anyone else used both and have reviews on them.

I find the comment (See below). Most likely they work both the same. The black one is probably more heavy duty and targeting high traffic area. I guess you have to try it yourself and see what is the outcome. They both have coupons. The worst case is that you will only be stupid once to buy the expensive one once you try it.

Since it has S&S, you can place orders on both products first and think later in case of Amazon deletes the coupon or inflates the price of the product. If you know any car mechanic, they may be able to give you a better idea base on their experience.

It seems the black one is selling cheaper in Walmart USA. If you will go to USA, then you may want to buy there.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Scotchgard-A ... n/23340855
https://www.walmart.com/nco/Scotchgard- ... thena=true

Comment : The Scotchgard(TM) Auto Interior Fabric and Carpet Protectorhas better protection against oils than the Scotchgard Fabric and Upholstery Protector. The Auto Protector can also be used on the carpeting and floor mats of a vehicle where the Fabric and Upholstery Protector will not penetrate far enough to protect those areas.

Red one
------------
Upholstery
Throw pillows
Table linens
Fabric purses
Clothing
Canvas shoes
Luggage
Backpacks
Silk
Wool
Linen / cotton blends

Black one
-----------
Fabric seats
Floor mats
Car seats
Auto carpet
Trunk
Cargo space
Boat seat cushions
Jon Lai wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 9:50 pm
Is there anything special about the Auto fabric version? It's $4 more than the others. I'd just want to spray the carpet in the car and trunk.
Last edited by lcmt on Jul 12th, 2018 7:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jul 7, 2018
2 posts
3 upvotes
Published a few days ago:

Chemicals used in Teflon and Scotchgard are a much bigger health threat than previously disclosed
A group of chemicals used to develop Teflon, Scotchgard and other protective solutions has now emerged as a far greater menace to our health and environment than previously disclosed, ProPublica reports.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/09/how-the ... hreat.html
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
4449 posts
4611 upvotes
If I understand correctly, the article doesn't mention how dangerous we directly use the product from a customer perspective. It only mentions how it causes the water contamination and the health issues of the workers and people living close to the manufacturer.
SkySeeker wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 5:41 am
Published a few days ago:

Chemicals used in Teflon and Scotchgard are a much bigger health threat than previously disclosed
A group of chemicals used to develop Teflon, Scotchgard and other protective solutions has now emerged as a far greater menace to our health and environment than previously disclosed, ProPublica reports.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/09/how-the ... hreat.html
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
40905 posts
2218 upvotes
Richmond Hill
lcmt wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 5:18 am
There is a comparison chart near the bottom of the page. The red one can only apply on "Delicate or dry-clean-only fabrics", but the black one doesn't mention this limitation. However, the result may be the same. You can google it and see if anyone else used both and have reviews on them.

I find the comment (See below). Most likely they work both the same. The black one is probably more heavy duty and targeting high traffic area. I guess you have to try it yourself and see what is the outcome. They both have coupons. The worst case is that you will only be stupid once to buy the expensive one once you try it.

Since it has S&S, you can place orders on both products first and think later in case of Amazon deletes the coupon or inflates the price of the product. If you know any car mechanic, they may be able to give you a better idea base on their experience.

It seems the black one is selling cheaper in Walmart USA. If you will go to USA, then you may want to buy there.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Scotchgard-A ... n/23340855
https://www.walmart.com/nco/Scotchgard- ... thena=true

Comment : The Scotchgard(TM) Auto Interior Fabric and Carpet Protectorhas better protection against oils than the Scotchgard Fabric and Upholstery Protector. The Auto Protector can also be used on the carpeting and floor mats of a vehicle where the Fabric and Upholstery Protector will not penetrate far enough to protect those areas.

Red one
------------
Upholstery
Throw pillows
Table linens
Fabric purses
Clothing
Canvas shoes
Luggage
Backpacks
Silk
Wool
Linen / cotton blends

Black one
-----------
Fabric seats
Floor mats
Car seats
Auto carpet
Trunk
Cargo space
Boat seat cushions
I was actually thinking of getting the carpet one (not auto) for the car interior.
***Brand New Nintendo Switch Console with Grey Joy-Con ONLY $330!!***
Silver Coins | 3M Furnace Filters | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio
Heatware | RFD Feedback
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
4449 posts
4611 upvotes
I believe the red one should work, but you may need to spray it more frequently for high traffic area.
Jon Lai wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 8:00 am
I was actually thinking of getting the carpet one (not auto) for the car interior.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2008
1962 posts
813 upvotes
Richmond Hill
lcmt wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 5:58 am
If I understand correctly, the article doesn't mention how dangerous we directly use the product from a customer perspective. It only mentions how it causes the water contamination and the health issues of the workers and people living close to the manufacturer.
That should be reason enough not to use the product. The manufacturer needs to step up their protection of the workers and the environment.
:D
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2015
1027 posts
633 upvotes
Mont-Royal, QC
Too bad the one for carpet is 12.99$ with same 2.3$ coupon
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
4449 posts
4611 upvotes
I agree that the manufacturer should find a way to protect the workers and anyone living around there. I believe this can be done with nowadays technology although the manufacturing cost will be higher. However, avoiding to use the product or stop producing the chemical will not solve the actual problem. Otherwise, we will not have any materials to build our house and everyone will live inside a tent (In fact, the tent may be also made with chemicals). Besides, the chemical is not just used on Scotchgard, it is being used on other products such as non-stick frying pan. I believe more people are using the frying pan than Scotchgard.
moulamou wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 8:22 am
That should be reason enough not to use the product. The manufacturer needs to step up their protection of the workers and the environment.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
4449 posts
4611 upvotes
I just use the "tell us about a lower price?" function to message Amazon since Canadian Tire is selling at $9.99. Not sure Amazon will lower the price. Even if it does, it will take few days to one week for Amazon to change the price. You may want to try to send the message to Amazon too. It may speed up the process if Amazon is getting the message from more people

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/scotc ... 1099p.html
jackfollow wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 8:22 am
Too bad the one for carpet is 12.99$ with same 2.3$ coupon
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
4449 posts
4611 upvotes
Good catch. The dark blue is the protector and the light blue is the cleaner
Jon Lai wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 9:05 am
The carpet cleaner is $12.99 - the carpet protector is $9.99 ;)