Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

ScreenBeam MoCA 2.5 Network Adapter Starter Kit, Ethernet Over Coax $166.59

59 replies
Jun 30, 2019
66 posts
43 upvotes
It was 150$ a month ago and even went down to 137$. Not the greatest price, but still a discount.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2657 posts
1928 upvotes
Vancouveresque
Looks like this model only does gigabit ethernet speeds, which makes it a little silly to call them MoCA 2.5 devices..
Nobody cares which exploitative corporations you give your money to every month. Get that crap out of your signature.
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
16262 posts
21244 upvotes
Toronto
GeeCee wrote: Looks like this model only does gigabit ethernet speeds, which makes it a little silly to call them MoCA 2.5 devices..
2.5 is the version of the MoCA standard these devices are using.

MoCA 1.0 supports transmission speeds of up to 135 Mb/s.
MoCA 1.1 provides 175 Mbit/s net throughputs (275 Mbit/s PHY rate)
MoCA 2.0 offers actual throughputs (MAC rate) up to 1 Gbps.
MoCA 2.5 offers actual data rates up to 2.5 Gbit/s, continues to be backward compatible with MoCA 2.0 and MoCA 1.1

The MoCA 3.0 standard has been released and increases the maximum throughput to 10 Gbps

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimedi ... x_Alliance
Destiny is all
Nov 18, 2014
82 posts
19 upvotes
I have DECA, is there any other reason to replace with these? My internet max speed to the modem is only ~100Mb/s and the DECA seems to carry that to routers but besides speed is there any other advantages?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2018
1156 posts
1689 upvotes
Hamilton
jjbffb wrote: I have DECA, is there any other reason to replace with these? My internet max speed to the modem is only ~100Mb/s and the DECA seems to carry that to routers but besides speed is there any other advantages?
I wouldn't change a thing! If it isn't broke, don't fix it.
Jul 6, 2008
134 posts
118 upvotes
I'm grateful my house was wired with like three CAT5e cables by the developer. So I was able to follow the cable upstairs and terminate it myself and set up ethernet backhaul that way.

Otherwise I was about to jump on a MoCA adapter like this.
Mar 15, 2011
53 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
If you want to spend extra time to save money, you can do this:

1) Go to ebay and buy these adapters from the US. This seller doesn't ship to Canada directly, so use Cross Border Pickups or similar / find another seller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265655788793

2) Bid lower than the "buy it now" price.

3) Get it shipped to CBP and use their (annoying, unintuitive) interface to fill in the package details.

4) Pay the CBP fee & regular tax - there shouldn't be any additional duty charged for your purchase < $150 CAD

5) Pick up / get the package delivered to you.

I ended up paying around $120 CAD all-in for 2 adapters - they were brand new and work great.

Not for everyone, but if you want to put in the work you can save a bit of $
Nov 11, 2010
223 posts
192 upvotes
Montreal
stripesandsocks wrote: If you want to spend extra time to save money, you can do this:

1) Go to ebay and buy these adapters from the US. This seller doesn't ship to Canada directly, so use Cross Border Pickups or similar / find another seller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265655788793

2) Bid lower than the "buy it now" price.

3) Get it shipped to CBP and use their (annoying, unintuitive) interface to fill in the package details.

4) Pay the CBP fee & regular tax - there shouldn't be any additional duty charged for your purchase < $150 CAD

5) Pick up / get the package delivered to you.

I ended up paying around $120 CAD all-in for 2 adapters - they were brand new and work great.

Not for everyone, but if you want to put in the work you can save a bit of $
I bought from the same seller described here. Products have been working well for 6months now
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5118 posts
393 upvotes
Toronto
PerformingAzura wrote: How's the latency on these?
No different than a wired ethernet connection.

I struggled for several months when we moved into our multi-floor townhouse to get reliable internet in our living room (where the console is for gaming) versus the modem location on the 2nd floor (where desktop is for also gaming, lol). There was no way to run an ethernet cable (high velocity HVAC with very narrow pipes, high ceilings) without tearing out half the drywall.

I tried powerline adapters (terrible), Orbi Mesh Wifi (speeds were good but latency was bad for gaming) and ultimately landed on the MOCA adapters which have been fantastic. I now have Ubiquiti APs hardwired into the MOCA adapters and the setup works great.

One thing to note is that when I had Rogers, my speed over the MOCA adapters was around 400-500Mbps and I thought it was just the quality of the coax cables in the house. Once I got Bell, I was able to replace the whole house coax splitter and wire the coax runs together and now my speeds are around 930-950Mbps (limited by the gigabit port on the MOCA adapter). So if your speeds suck, try replacing your splitters. If you have Rogers, you should also install an inline filter on your coax line so your MOCA network doesn't extend outside your house.
Feb 28, 2014
964 posts
1141 upvotes
PerformingAzura wrote: How's the latency on these?
It adds about 3 ms latency on your connection. Personally, even for gaming purposes, I can't really tell the difference tbh...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 18, 2013
5100 posts
8290 upvotes
BC
Asad_A203 wrote: No different than a wired ethernet connection.

I struggled for several months when we moved into our multi-floor townhouse to get reliable internet in our living room (where the console is for gaming) versus the modem location on the 2nd floor (where desktop is for also gaming, lol). There was no way to run an ethernet cable (high velocity HVAC with very narrow pipes, high ceilings) without tearing out half the drywall.

I tried powerline adapters (terrible), Orbi Mesh Wifi (speeds were good but latency was bad for gaming) and ultimately landed on the MOCA adapters which have been fantastic. I now have Ubiquiti APs hardwired into the MOCA adapters and the setup works great.

One thing to note is that when I had Rogers, my speed over the MOCA adapters was around 400-500Mbps and I thought it was just the quality of the coax cables in the house. Once I got Bell, I was able to replace the whole house coax splitter and wire the coax runs together and now my speeds are around 930-950Mbps (limited by the gigabit port on the MOCA adapter). So if your speeds suck, try replacing your splitters. If you have Rogers, you should also install an inline filter on your coax line so your MOCA network doesn't extend outside your house.
I'm struggling with this right now, I'm a complete noob in this area. My gaming/console setup is just like yours, except my modem is in the living room so my PC I have telus fibre optic.

I found a cat5 cable in the room where my PC is but connecting it to the PC does nothing - do I need to activate it? I also have a coax in my upstairs bedroom but that would mean I would have to run an ethernet cable down the hall and into the room where my PC is, so not ideal for visual appearances.

Any advice? Cheers
Feb 28, 2014
964 posts
1141 upvotes
peakingduck wrote: I found a cat5 cable in the room where my PC is but connecting it to the PC does nothing - do I need to activate it? I also have a coax in my upstairs bedroom but that would mean I would have to run an ethernet cable down the hall and into the room where my PC is, so not ideal for visual appearances.

Any advice? Cheers
Is your ethernet cable in your room terminated somewhere on the other end? You'll need to find out where that ethernet cable goes and then have to terminate it to another device, usually into the modem/router so that it can get network access.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
2566 posts
1751 upvotes
deltatux wrote: It adds about 3 ms latency on your connection. Personally, even for gaming purposes, I can't really tell the difference tbh...
Asad_A203 wrote: No different than a wired ethernet connection.
If I'm remembering correctly a typical ethernet ethernet connection is under 1ms.

3ms is alot more than <1ms, probably not noticeable in most conditions though.
Feb 28, 2014
964 posts
1141 upvotes
PerformingAzura wrote: If I'm remembering correctly a typical ethernet ethernet connection is under 1ms.

3ms is alot more than <1ms, probably not noticeable in most conditions though.
Yes the added 3 ms can seem to be a lot, but personally, I haven't ran into issues, can't really tell a difference in practice even while gaming.

I've attached a screenshot of a PC connected to my main router via the MoCA network showing up to 4.7 ms compared to a PC connected to my main router via ethernet cabling going through a couple of switches at 1 ms.

If you need absolute low latency, you need to use ethernet cabling, MoCA while a great workaround, can't compete with ethernet in terms of latency.
Images
  • Screenshot from 2022-09-27 11-24-15.png
  • 27.PNG
Sep 11, 2007
406 posts
328 upvotes
TDot
This has been the price for a while, this is not the price for the 2.5 gbps version which was the previous sale
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
16262 posts
21244 upvotes
Toronto
ownthesky wrote: Back on sale! Ethernet over your home's preexisting coaxial cable system, no need to run Ethernet cables.
GoKartRacer wrote: This has been the price for a while, this is not the price for the 2.5 gbps version which was the previous sale

Yes, the version with 2.5 Gbps ethernet port was lower price. It could be on sale again for Prime 'Early Access' Sale next month

[Amazon.ca] ScreenBeam Bonded MoCA 2.5 ECB7250K02 (-11%) was 157.60 on Prime day now 158.52
Destiny is all

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)