21679 posts
2451 upvotes
Usual caution these are SMR drives
Mar 14, 2020
63 posts
150 upvotes
Montreal
Kasakato wrote: Usual caution these are SMR drives
I'm looking for an 8tb to shuck and use to dump movies and shows on for my plex server. How crucial is it that I avoid SMR drives and which externals should I look for if I want to go with PMR? :)
Jun 1, 2016
345 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto/KW
Anxiously awaiting the day a $20/TB deal comes back...
Sep 26, 2018
897 posts
1982 upvotes
ncheply wrote: I'm looking for an 8tb to shuck and use to dump movies and shows on for my plex server. How crucial is it that I avoid SMR drives and which externals should I look for if I want to go with PMR? :)
This is actually the best drive for your type of use. SMR is good for storing once and reading multiple times like what you just described
I have spoken
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21679 posts
2451 upvotes
ncheply wrote: I'm looking for an 8tb to shuck and use to dump movies and shows on for my plex server. How crucial is it that I avoid SMR drives and which externals should I look for if I want to go with PMR? :)
If you will rarely be writing to it, its fine. I use a few in a Unraid server for the same use.

That said, these do slow down parity checks as the buffer eventually fills.

I prefer WD externals as they usually have a Red He filled drive.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 27, 2004
8910 posts
528 upvotes
Toronto
I settled for 21.50/TB with the WD Red 4TB internal recently. Can't wait any longer!
Mar 14, 2020
63 posts
150 upvotes
Montreal
Kasakato wrote: If you will rarely be writing to it, its fine. I use a few in a Unraid server for the same use.

That said, these do slow down parity checks as the buffer eventually fills.

I prefer WD externals as they usually have a Red He filled drive.
I tend to be constantly adding to it, not just sort of a write once and forget it.

I've been eyeing the 8TB WD Mybook at Costco for $190, but I'll probably wait to see what Black Friday has in store.

Good to know that WD drives are generally a good bet :)
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2597 posts
2317 upvotes
Montreal
almasyseifer wrote: This is actually the best drive for your type of use. SMR is good for storing once and reading multiple times like what you just described
I would say that SMR are never the best drives for any situation (unless budget is an absolutely critical factor). In this situation, they "may be acceptable".

For example: if the drive becomes close to full, and the user wants to add a new batch of movies, then transfer speeds are horrible.

But yes, if you're only adding one movie at a time, then it will probably not be noticeable.

My recommendation: avoid all SMR drives all the time. Just wait for a sale on a PMR drive.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2597 posts
2317 upvotes
Montreal
ncheply wrote: Good to know that WD drives are generally a good bet :)
Not at all. Be sure to look up the specific model before you buy.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21679 posts
2451 upvotes
ncheply wrote: I tend to be constantly adding to it, not just sort of a write once and forget it.

I've been eyeing the 8TB WD Mybook at Costco for $190, but I'll probably wait to see what Black Friday has in store.

Good to know that WD drives are generally a good bet :)
I pull the trigger at $20/TB for WDs. Keep in mind the 8TB WD happens to be CMR, but they do make SMR drives in other sizes and have historically done a great job making things confusing.
Dec 26, 2007
388 posts
168 upvotes
Vancouver
I bought 3 of these drives. One returned within a week due to bad blocks. 2nd one started getting tons of bad blocks shortly after warranty expired. 3rd one is still going strong. I think it's better to pay a little more and go with WD.
Feb 26, 2017
607 posts
424 upvotes
I added 4 smr's to my openmediavault setup - 7 across mergerfs, and for whatever reason it slowed things down by a few seconds up clicking play. It was almost like it needed to spool up the drives, even though I set them to never sleep.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7175 posts
1942 upvotes
T dot 6
Kasakato wrote: I prefer WD externals as they usually have a Red He filled drive.
That was once true, but that is no longer the case from what I've read and my own personal experience. People were shucking and reselling WD Red as they are designed for NAS and have a price premium. If you were to buy today, its almost certain to be a white label.

Shucked a 8TB Bestbuy Easystore a couple of weeks ago and got a WD80EDAZ-11TA3A0. CMR, non helium. (Runs hot, requires active cooling, people speculate its a rebadged Hitachi which are excellent drives)

Shucked a 8TB Mybook from Costco.ca in April and got a WD80EZAZ-11TDBA0 CMR, helium.

Personally I would wait for a CMR. Your uses case might change in the future. SMR has a lower resale value. If you don't need it right now, Black Friday/Cyber Monday is about a month away and boxing day a few months away.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1507 posts
218 upvotes
Atillathepun wrote: I added 4 smr's to my openmediavault setup - 7 across mergerfs, and for whatever reason it slowed things down by a few seconds up clicking play. It was almost like it needed to spool up the drives, even though I set them to never sleep.
Hello, fellow mergerfs user! I just migrated from LVM over to mergerfs+snapraid in the Spring and expanded my array last week for the first time.