Seagate Expansion 16TB External HDD (STKP16000402) - $499

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2021 12:13 pm
[OP]
Jan 13, 2009
368 posts
368 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Seagate Expansion 16TB External HDD (STKP16000402) - $499

Seagate Expansion 16TB External Hard Drive HDD - USB 3.0, with Rescue Data Recovery Services (STKP16000402)

Seagate Exos X16 ST16000NM001G (CMR) inside. :)

Kinda warm for 16TB? ....I remember it was hovering around $599 - $525 a few months ago with the CHIA (XCH) craze. Same price at Best Buy.

Pricepulse (USD) - price tracker
_
Last edited by Alfred25 on Aug 20th, 2021 7:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Thread Summary
If you're looking for more options, RFD Reviews has a list of the best external hard drives!
47 replies
Apr 20, 2017
23 posts
31 upvotes
Higher capacities are great until they break, at that moment you find out how much data is really hold in 16TB haha ^^ I try to stay at 8TB, already takes a long time to fill out at max speed.

0.0311875$/GB isn't cheap
Dec 24, 2007
472 posts
167 upvotes
Vancouver
I wouldn't even consider this warm at that price. It was in stock from Dell not too long ago for $419 with another 8% rakuten.

You'd get much better value from the 14TB from Best Buy at $350. One thing to note is that the 14TB is likely a Ironwolf Pro instead of an Exos.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/se ... 0/15469301
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
2091 posts
1319 upvotes
Toronto
sandboxseb wrote: Higher capacities are great until they break, at that moment you find out how much data is really hold in 16TB haha ^^ I try to stay at 8TB, already takes a long time to fill out at max speed.

0.0311875$/GB isn't cheap
Any hard drives are great until they break.

Given that these are Exos drives, they are one of the best consumer HDDs you can buy.
Oct 27, 2009
164 posts
734 upvotes
Toronto, ON, Canada
I got 18tb for $380 in March from Best Buy. Seems it's something like every other month that drives like these can be had for ~$20/tb. If you're not in any rush for storage, I'd wait.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
3261 posts
1379 upvotes
pvdv wrote: I got 18tb for $380 in March from Best Buy. Seems it's something like every other month that drives like these can be had for ~$20/tb. If you're not in any rush for storage, I'd wait.
Not any time soon Post-Chia. You must think GPU prices are going to drop by the end of the year too.
Jul 10, 2019
582 posts
521 upvotes
Nikhilvoid wrote: It was $380 in June
good to know and always appreciate those who post historical all lows...i want the best and lowest possible price.
only price errors are true deals - such is the philosophy of RFD.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2007
1109 posts
671 upvotes
Canada
getting 2 x 8TB (2x225=450$) is cheaper and more safe IMO
also, instead of this consider buying NAS!
simple is the best...
Nov 27, 2008
201 posts
180 upvotes
hainkurt wrote: getting 2 x 8TB (2x225=450$) is cheaper and more safe IMO
You can always buy two of these and stick them in a NAS too. All depends on your storage needs.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29049 posts
14591 upvotes
sandboxseb wrote: Higher capacities are great until they break, at that moment you find out how much data is really hold in 16TB haha ^^ I try to stay at 8TB, already takes a long time to fill out at max speed.
This is why you run redundant storage. Losing *any* data sucks.
h8g7f6j9k0 wrote: good to know and always appreciate those who post historical all lows...i want the best and lowest possible price.
The issue with historical lows is that some things externally affect the current price.
Chia for example has murdered the hard drive market utilizing like 30+ exabytes of hard drive space.
So while it's nice knowing what the historical low is, without context of why today's price is so high a low is useless because you'll never hit it again.
hainkurt wrote: getting 2 x 8TB (2x225=450$) is cheaper and more safe IMO
Cheaper? No. The costs of utilizing the hard drive are something that no one considers, especially if it's a purpose built NAS/SAN. If you're just plugging into a spare port on your main PC, that's one thing but if this is going to be used as any sort of serious storage each slot cost money. I've managed to get down to about $20 per slot but if you use a fancy name brand NAS these slot costs can cost hundreds of dollars each.
Yeah I'd never use any drive "naked" that isn't in a NAS.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Apr 20, 2017
23 posts
31 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: This is why you run redundant storage. Losing *any* data sucks.
I agree, my comment still stand. From experience, if you increase your system drives' capacities it expose you more to the situation where you are losing a second or third drives while rebuilding. Again, just my 2 cent ^^
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2020
1047 posts
1088 upvotes
sandboxseb wrote: I agree, my comment still stand. From experience, if you increase your system drives' capacities it expose you more to the situation where you are losing a second or third drives while rebuilding. Again, just my 2 cent ^^
If you are running a multiply NAS (especially 4+ drive bays) you ideally want the biggest drive possible, and/or biggest at best price point (more likely), because many are running some form of RAID.
Bigger, identical drives mean I need to upgrade much later than smaller, identical drives...
My sweet spot for the past couple years was 10tb... until this mofo Chia crap came along...

$199 for a 10tb Seagate Ironwolf was the standard. Got one just this spring. As said though, who knows when that'll happen again thanks to speculate, garbage currencies that pollute our planet and consume electricity en masse. Peruse YouTube and you'll see Chia's not that much more energy efficient than bitcoin..
Last edited by DasHip on Aug 20th, 2021 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 23, 2006
289 posts
62 upvotes
sandboxseb wrote: I agree, my comment still stand. From experience, if you increase your system drives' capacities it expose you more to the situation where you are losing a second or third drives while rebuilding. Again, just my 2 cent ^^
At the same time? Got be uncommon. Either case you should have another backup
Oct 27, 2009
164 posts
734 upvotes
Toronto, ON, Canada
shutterbug wrote: Not any time soon Post-Chia. You must think GPU prices are going to drop by the end of the year too.
Maybe my advice was outdated - I don't know anything about Chia - but that's no cause for rudeness. I was trying to help a fellow RFD'er.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
3609 posts
3863 upvotes
Montreal, QC
TheDuffMan wrote: You can always buy two of these and stick them in a NAS too. All depends on your storage needs.
I would say, buy and use it as a BACKUP for the NAS :)
RAID is not a backup, so mandatory to have a second copy of your important data if you want to be safe.

Sorry, but I am a backup-a-holic ;)
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3376 posts
3710 upvotes
Montreal
I think the Chia effect is slowly receding. I've noticed that 10TB drives have begun dropping in price in the last weeks. Back down to $240 when for months there were zero discounts.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3376 posts
3710 upvotes
Montreal
This is extremely unlikely if you run a monthly data scrub.