Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Seagate Expansion 16TB External HDD (STKP16000402) - $499

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2021 12:13 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
3725 posts
4122 upvotes
Montreal, QC
death_hawk wrote: Or fat finger it and buy 23 of them

Yeah I belong in /r/datahoarder
Hehe.. datahoarder. I think many of us are. For me it is over pure laziness.
Got my self 2 rackmount NAS servers with 12x 12TB drives in each unit. And instead of using the opportunity to sort and clean up the dat I had on my other NAS units, I just created 1 Share folder for each existing NAS (on the rackmount unit) and then just dumped everything in there. There... Consolidated into a single NAS. But no time to sort :)

I recently cleaned up my office in the basement, to redo the floor, new paint and recessed lights. during the cleanup, I came by many of my old backups from the days of tape backups. Still had piles of DDS 4mm tapes, some DLT4 tapes, and even some Sony AIT cartridges. I even found 2 QIC-1000 tapes, but those were still new in packaging, probably left over from a previous cleanup. Scary part is, I still had all the drives to be able to read the media. But decided if I had not used them in the last 10+ years, then I probably did not need them, or had copies elsewhere. So just destroyed all the tapes.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4527 posts
26991 upvotes
Does anyone know what the warranty of a non-shucked drive is vs buying it as is.

I’ve been waiting for these Exos drives to go back down to $470 and it’s been slowly creeping down, want to upgrade my current 10TB drives to these 16TB Exos model. Currently running Seagate IronWolf and have 0 issues with them since I bought them back with my QNAP TVS-682T.

https://www.amazon.ca/-/en/Seagate-ST16 ... 860&sr=8-2
__
Want to know the latest Costco Clearance items and prices in Ontario.. check out my thread here.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
3725 posts
4122 upvotes
Montreal, QC
markopas wrote: Does anyone know what the warranty of a non-shucked drive is vs buying it as is.

I’ve been waiting for these Exos drives to go back down to $470 and it’s been slowly creeping down, want to upgrade my current 10TB drives to these 16TB Exos model. Currently running Seagate IronWolf and have 0 issues with them since I bought them back with my QNAP TVS-682T.

https://www.amazon.ca/-/en/Seagate-ST16 ... 860&sr=8-2
In America, these external drives all come with a standard 1yr warranty only. Oddly enough, the warranties vary depending on region. Once shucked however, unless you manage to put it back in the enclosure without damage, warranty is 0.
Datasheet: https://files.bbystatic.com/R8m8CZ2SQYY ... ta%2BSheet

EXOS drives are typically 5yrs as far as I know.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29319 posts
14826 upvotes
Emporium wrote: During the scrubbing period (typically once a month), it practically tortures the drive, and operating temperatures do rise typically, putting unnecessary stress on the bearings, and other components which it can not predict, when they will fail.
That's kind of the point though. A stress test to weed out failing drives.
Data integrity checking is a side point. You're gonna stress the drive when you rebuild anyways so I'd rather stress it beforehand.
Also there's opinions of going from sleep to operational repeatedly that kills motors faster than just constantly running.
Does it protect against failing media surface and identify weak and bad sectors ? yes.. But at the expense of other components. So it is a trade off.
While tape etc I've heard of the media surface failing, this is the first time I've heard of it in a hard drive without a head crashing.

Having a regular backup schedule for your data will also exercise the drives, and ensure that the source data is still readable every time it tries to back up.
Without ensuring data integrity though, a backup is useless.
You're making a copy of bunk.

I keep data scrubbing enabled, and it is more to detect data integrity errors early on, due to bad media, rather than disk failure. which unfortunately is unpredictable in "most" cases.
I didn't say it detects disk failure. If anything it "promotes" it but on my terms.
I don't go cheap on my drives so I don't really encounter many issues. All units go through a 1 week torture test before going into daily use environment, I buy decent quality drives. On my NAS collection, I have 1 with a set of WD Enterprise Gold, 2 units have Seagate EXOS drives, another 2 have Seagate Constellation ES3 drives, 1 has Seagate Ironwolf Pro drives.

Oddly enough I'm the opposite. Cheap as possible from any source (ie shucked).
I'll try to nail the EXOS or whatever if I know they're the only drive that exists in an external but I'd never buy one outright (for home purposes)
The tools are there to test drives regularly. People need to decide for themselves what they want to do and at what frequency.
True.
To be honest... I don't even test drives. I'm redundant enough that I can suffer a failure without much issue. Swap the drive, let it rebuild, call it a day.
I also buy cheap drives so I always have a few cold spares on hand so I don't have to run degraded for more than I have to.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Nov 17, 2006
417 posts
668 upvotes
Glad I jumped on the 14tb / easystore deal for $260 last December. Schucked it and have been using it as an internal storage driver without any issues.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3127 posts
1310 upvotes
Windsor
Have you tried copying the data off one of the older discs recently? We were doing DVD Edit: I meant CD backups at my work and found that they were unreliable after about 8 years. I honestly can't remember the brands specifically, but probably Verbatim, Maxell, Memorex, Sony ... I vaguely recall those brands. We mix and matched discs to avoid this issue, and duplicated the data, but I was surprised at how short their lifespan was (for the brands we bought).

Thankfully storage prices tanked when I was working there, so we used harddrives and rotated them. QuickPar as well. What a stupid time.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4527 posts
26991 upvotes
Emporium wrote: In America, these external drives all come with a standard 1yr warranty only. Oddly enough, the warranties vary depending on region. Once shucked however, unless you manage to put it back in the enclosure without damage, warranty is 0.
Datasheet: https://files.bbystatic.com/R8m8CZ2SQYY ... ta%2BSheet

EXOS drives are typically 5yrs as far as I know.

The extra 4yr warranty alone is worth the cost just for a piece of mind unless the cost is like $200 less vs the drive alone then I would just shuck.
__
Want to know the latest Costco Clearance items and prices in Ontario.. check out my thread here.