Seagate Firecuda 2TB Gaming SSHD - $118.74

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2016 11:13 am
[OP]
Mar 19, 2007
31 posts
9 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Seagate Firecuda 2TB Gaming SSHD - $118.74

Good hybrid hard drive for 500GB and 1TB console owners looking to increase storage capacity

Lowest price ever according to camel(x3), cheaper than the 3.5" Firecuda or even the 2TB regular drive
31 replies
Dec 29, 2003
677 posts
329 upvotes
Montreal
Great price.
Up to a few days ago the best price was around $135 from new egg.
Just installed it in my PS4 Pro but haven't switched it on yet.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." Benjamin Franklin
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2002
4983 posts
2640 upvotes
Consoles can't really benefit from the extra speeds. It helps in some but not other games. No where near the same benefits as using a console. I even tried a 2tb Samsung Evo 850 without huge gains. Price is good but don't expect to be blown away by speed. Samsung M9t is still best overall I think. Can be found in Seagate Backup Plus Slim drives for around $100
That's 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.
Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
11679 posts
5687 upvotes
I would do this with my new pro.But sony pissed me off last year.

I purchased a 2tb drive installed per there website but then i gave away the 500gb from the console then when my ps4 needed warranty service (nothing to do with hard drive they told me my warranty was invalid because i did not have the original hard drive.

So be careful and keep your stock drive incase you need warranty. They said i should of kept the original drive and installed it back before getting warranty.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user! Fido User!
EQ BANK!! SIMPLii !! Tangerine!!
Buy first think later!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
31619 posts
12926 upvotes
Does PS4 really benefit from this? I mean does it boot its OS from the HDD? There's only 8GB of NAND on this, I can't see that doing much for installed games and not sure if the firmware is optimized to do anything with it properly outside of a PC?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7905 posts
2805 upvotes
Washington, DC
These drives only really benefit speed in Windows due to the limited 8GB of NAND storage on this drive. All game load times will still be at 5400rpm speed except for commonly used game files.

If you're looking for game load time decreases you're better off getting a MX300 525GB SSD for $149.99.

https://www.amazon.ca/Crucial-MX300-525 ... ords=mx300

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
Banned
Nov 14, 2013
1701 posts
767 upvotes
Moncton
NightRain wrote: Consoles can't really benefit from the extra speeds. It helps in some but not other games. No where near the same benefits as using a console. I even tried a 2tb Samsung Evo 850 without huge gains. Price is good but don't expect to be blown away by speed. Samsung M9t is still best overall I think. Can be found in Seagate Backup Plus Slim drives for around $100
The ps4 pro finally introduces sata 3.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2002
4983 posts
2640 upvotes
KevinC268 wrote: The ps4 pro finally introduces sata 3.
Yes, but other internals bottleneck it still. It still performs roughly the same
That's 30 minutes away, I'll be there in 10.
Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.
Dec 12, 2007
301 posts
118 upvotes
London
Very good deal. Got one of these on Cyber Monday at Newegg for $120.

Quite fast for a spinning disk, and the 5-yr warranty is reassuring too.

Whoops, I got the 3.5" version for my desktop... still a good deal I guess.
Last edited by ibeleaf on Dec 24th, 2016 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 11, 2014
341 posts
261 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
NightRain wrote: Yes, but other internals bottleneck it still. It still performs roughly the same
There are actually benchmarks and videos online that show that having SSHD have good improvements. Obviously nothing significant but loading screens are sometimes cut by 2-5 seconds. For games like Bloodborne that's quite a good gain.
Dec 29, 2003
677 posts
329 upvotes
Montreal
There's a number of testimonials on Reddit and YouTube, that convinced me there's a difference between this drive and the stock Drive, especially with the load times.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." Benjamin Franklin
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3812 posts
1229 upvotes
Undecided I ordered 2TB Seagate Backup Plus Slim for $99 and planning to crack it open then use my old ps4 hdd in the seagate housing. Wonder if paying $20 is bucks worth shaving a few seconds on loading time and keeping the warranty.

Backup Plus Slim comes with the ST2000LM007 HDD, which is well rated for the PS4.
Oct 11, 2012
349 posts
252 upvotes
Winnipeg
dough4you wrote: There's a number of testimonials on Reddit and YouTube, that convinced me there's a difference between this drive and the stock Drive, especially with the load times.
Can you link them please, I have been trying to find something on load times, but can't find exactly what I am looking for.
Last edited by mian95 on Dec 24th, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 29, 2003
677 posts
329 upvotes
Montreal
mian95 wrote: Can you link them please, I have been trying to find something on load times, but can't find exactly what I am looking for.
Also I am wondering what the difference between a 7200 rpm and this would be.
I did this research about a week or two ago, and I don't have actual Links handy. And now I'm off to Christmas Eve dinner :-)
Basically I did a lot of Google searches with PS4 Pro and firecuda 2 terabyte. You'll see the ones that are reddit links.
Oct 11, 2014
341 posts
261 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
mian95 wrote: Can you link them please, I have been trying to find something on load times, but can't find exactly what I am looking for.
Here's one link:
https://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-T ... ce-Testing

Another one more relevant to the Firecuda:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/5 ... ro_so_far/

Just google the keywords: PS4, Reddit, SSHD, Firecuda and you'll come up with some results.

I personally have an SSHD in my PS4 and I feel that it has helped the games with loading screens. Games with fewer loading screens such as Infamous or Final Fantasy XV will benefit less.
Oct 11, 2012
349 posts
252 upvotes
Winnipeg
dough4you wrote: I did this research about a week or two ago, and I don't have actual Links handy. And now I'm off to Christmas Eve dinner :-)
Basically I did a lot of Google searches with PS4 Pro and firecuda 2 terabyte. You'll see the ones that are reddit links.
Thanks, I was looking for prices on regular 2TB harddrives and this seems to be cheaper or the same price, which is really weird.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)