• Last Updated:
  • May 2nd, 2021 9:23 pm
[OP]
Jun 12, 2010
787 posts
175 upvotes
Vancouver

[Amazon.ca] Seagate Ironwolf 6TB NAS-appropriate Internal HDD $171.99

For those who want Ironwolfs and not lucky enough to pull them out of some of the great external HDD shucks lately...
Around $29/TB. Matches an all-time-low as per trip C, compare to $216.99 at BB.
22 replies
Nov 23, 2018
958 posts
328 upvotes
Markham ON
Wouldn't getting X2 seagate barracuda 4tbs be better? Not sure if I am missing something here, or if Iron Wolf is better for durability.
Think Less, Imagine More
Costco is Bliss
Mar 15, 2016
140 posts
189 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Off topic but what’s a good NAS for a small home network?
Oct 3, 2018
101 posts
149 upvotes
sameerhira wrote: Off topic but what’s a good NAS for a small home network?
I've got a Synology DS218+. If you get one of the newer versions like the DS220+ you'll be good for a home environment. I only have 1 6TB Hitachi NAS drive inside, and use it for recording my 2 wireless video cams (front entrance and driveway), I use it to backup my laptop, store all my photos from the various household phones, store all my video from GoPro's etc.

I backup everything on a daily basis to my Amazon AWS S3 https://aws.amazon.com/s3/
In case my HDD dies, I have everything on the cloud which I can then download onto the new drive.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2954 posts
2793 upvotes
Montreal, QC
JonathanSun wrote: Wouldn't getting X2 seagate barracuda 4tbs be better? Not sure if I am missing something here, or if Iron Wolf is better for durability.
The barracuda drives are not NAS rated. Therefore critical features for NAS/RAID like TLER are not implemented on their firmware. Therefore if you plan to use them in a NAS with RAID, they can be very problematic.

I typically use seagate EXOS (enterprise class) drives in my NAS servers, but I do have one Synology DS1817+ with 8x 6TB Ironwolf drives in RAID 6, and for the most part they are all still working fine. 1 drive however developed 8 bad sectors, shortly after the warranty expired, BUT it has been stable at 8 sectors for nearly a year now, so for now, I am ignoring it.

Tried using regular barracuda drives 2 or 3 years ago, just to test something in an new NAS, and it was a disaster. Due to lack of TLER and other features, the RAID volume would be flagged as degraded pretty much every other week. I would never use current modekl barracuda drives for any production NAS server. In my opinion, the only use for barracuda drives is as a second drive in a machine for temporary storage.

I am not attacking seagate drives (I use them nearly exclusively - except for some WD Gold that I have in one NAS). But mostly the low end mechanical drives of all manufacturers). WD has their old WD Blue series which I have a pile of dead ones which used to come in Dell workstations, and would rarely survive past the first year. So it is NOT specific to Seagate.

$170 for a 6TB Ironwolf is a pretty good price if you need any NAS rated drives. They are equivalent to the WD Plus series. And the IronWolf Pro would be closer to the WD Red Pro.
Feb 12, 2008
216 posts
38 upvotes
Is this a good deal? Recently bought a DS920+, still in the box, to back up my critical office data.

6TB seems a bit small for the long haul. Would waiting for a deal on 10/12TB drives be much more?
Apr 14, 2017
61 posts
116 upvotes
If you have an old computer lying around, consider building an UnRAID server instead. It's not too difficult to get set up, and you can reuse old drives you have lying around.

https://unraid.net/
Aug 19, 2013
926 posts
884 upvotes
TORONTO
JonathanSun wrote: Wouldn't getting X2 seagate barracuda 4tbs be better? Not sure if I am missing something here, or if Iron Wolf is better for durability.
THose barracudas are SMR most likely so good for write once applications and not NAS. Only the old one is PMR/CMR.
Oct 8, 2009
103 posts
20 upvotes
Calgary
For older NAS, pay attention to the maximum volume size it can handle. Mine can only handle 16TB volumes. So depending on the raid, number of drives and drive sizes, one might hit the max supported volume size.

This is a pretty good price for the 6tb Ironwolf IMO. Having said that, Amazon.ca might not be an authorized dealer for Seagate Canada. I didn’t get a clear answer from Seagate Canada, but their response is check the “where to buy” section. And Amazon.ca is not listed there. Other places like bestbuy, memory express, Canada computer, are listed though. Seagate USA does have Amazon.com listed. Anyway, just a thought on if one has to get warranty support.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
2191 posts
633 upvotes
I was going to post this, came by though to ask a question as I do not see Amazon on Seagate's web site as an authorized reseller. Anyone know if this will create problems if a warranty claim comes up within 3 years?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2954 posts
2793 upvotes
Montreal, QC
ZeroGravity wrote: For older NAS, pay attention to the maximum volume size it can handle. Mine can only handle 16TB volumes. So depending on the raid, number of drives and drive sizes, one might hit the max supported volume size.

This is a pretty good price for the 6tb Ironwolf IMO. Having said that, Amazon.ca might not be an authorized dealer for Seagate Canada. I didn’t get a clear answer from Seagate Canada, but their response is check the “where to buy” section. And Amazon.ca is not listed there. Other places like bestbuy, memory express, Canada computer, are listed though. Seagate USA does have Amazon.com listed. Anyway, just a thought on if one has to get warranty support.
Sold and shipped by amazon, I would not worry too much. They clearly state 3 yr warranty on the listing. You can easily check warranty status directly on Seagate web site. If it is not 3yrs (or close to it) you would have just cause to return it anyhow. At work we buy most of our 1000s of Seagate drives each year from our supplier in the US (who is not listed either - but I know they buy direct from Seagate)), and we have no issue with CDN warranty claims (very rare we need them, since we buy exclusively the exos series), but the few times I did use it, it was pretty simple..

If it was sold by 3rd party, then I would worry more, in case they were OEM or shucked drives from external enclosures.

Seagate typically does NOT require proof of purchase if the warranty lookup is what you are going by. If however they were on the shelf for a while and 3yrs from purchase date would go past the date listed on their web site lookup, then you would need to prove when you bought it, in order to get the 3 years from purchase date.

PS: IF you have a 16TB Volume size limit, then that is probably because your volume was created on a device that had a 32bit processor. For devices with 64bit processors, I think the max volume size for s single volume is 108TB or something like that. This is true at least for Synology units. I am not sure the same applies to unraid, truenas, QNAP, etc.. devices.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
2191 posts
633 upvotes
thx OP, grabbed 2 for NAS hopefully they hold up past their warranty...
Dec 15, 2015
342 posts
293 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
My first 1TB NAS is the Seagate BlackArmor NAS 110 running for 9 years now. I also have the NETGEAR ReadyNAS RN212 for 5 years now running inside a Seagate 4TB NAS drive x 1. Haven't added another 4TB to run as Raid setup but I have been satisfied with it's performance used mostly as a Media server and File Backup.
"With great discounts comes great battle for self restraint"
May 17, 2020
31 posts
4 upvotes
Does anyone know a good deal on a cheap and reliable NAS with at least 2 bays?
Feb 11, 2019
388 posts
434 upvotes
ON
ZeroGravity wrote: For older NAS, pay attention to the maximum volume size it can handle. Mine can only handle 16TB volumes. So depending on the raid, number of drives and drive sizes, one might hit the max supported volume size.

Amazon is listed when you register your drive via the Canadian warranty registration page, registered two ironwolf 510s just today, no issues.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
2918 posts
2832 upvotes
Emporium wrote: The barracuda drives are not NAS rated. Therefore critical features for NAS/RAID like TLER are not implemented on their firmware. Therefore if you plan to use them in a NAS with RAID, they ca
I dunno man. From: https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/archive ... r-raid-nas
The responses I received from Synology, QNAP, NETGEAR and Buffalo all indicated that their NAS RAID controllers don't depend on or even listen to TLER, CCTL, ERC or any other similar error recovery signal from their drives. Instead, their software RAID controllers have their own criteria for drive timeouts, retries and when a drive is finally marked bad.
Mar 3, 2006
486 posts
130 upvotes
KATAMAPAH wrote: Does anyone know a good deal on a cheap and reliable NAS with at least 2 bays?
if you have an old computer check out unraid...
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2954 posts
2793 upvotes
Montreal, QC
The problem is that when a drive's firmware goes off into trying to reallocate a sector due to it being bad, you have no control over stopping it. You wait till it's done (it's like the infamous Windows "not responding"). Problem is, if that amount of time is too long, the drive array will go into degraded mode.
Most NAS units do have their own criteria for timeouts, but it works above and beyond the included firmware options, and it is great for the automated background volume health checks. I have at least 5 NAS units at home and 15+ at the office. And like I mentioned, I have occasionally used crappy basic drives for quick tests. And it is scary to see in many cases how quickly the RAID volumes degrade when using these drives.

Anyhow, it depends how much you value your data and time. Personally I would never use them in a production environment. Stick to Ironwolf/Ironwolf Pro or EXOS for NAS use (or equivalent WD or other brands [not that there is a huge choice anymore])
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3234 posts
1987 upvotes
SW ON
Emporium wrote: The problem is that when a drive's firmware goes off into trying to reallocate a sector due to it being bad, you have no control over stopping it. You wait till it's done (it's like the infamous Windows "not responding"). Problem is, if that amount of time is too long, the drive array will go into degraded mode.
Most NAS units do have their own criteria for timeouts, but it works above and beyond the included firmware options, and it is great for the automated background volume health checks. I have at least 5 NAS units at home and 15+ at the office. And like I mentioned, I have occasionally used crappy basic drives for quick tests. And it is scary to see in many cases how quickly the RAID volumes degrade when using these drives.

Anyhow, it depends how much you value your data and time. Personally I would never use them in a production environment. Stick to Ironwolf/Ironwolf Pro or EXOS for NAS use (or equivalent WD or other brands [not that there is a huge choice anymore])
Do you know how TLER works? What if the drive needs more time to reallocate sectors. TLER will make the drive available in short time but the drive still needs more time to reallocate sectors. What happens in this scenario? Does the drive postpones the procedure? Does the drive do it in a series of short dropouts?