Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Seagate SkyHawk 3TB Surveillance Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch $89.99

[OP]
Jul 29, 2010
377 posts
867 upvotes
Montreal

[Amazon.ca] Seagate SkyHawk 3TB Surveillance Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch $89.99

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07H2F373Y

Seagate SkyHawk 3TB Surveillance Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache for DVR NVR Security Camera System with Drive Health Management – Frustration Free Packaging (ST3000VX009)

114$ at Canadacomputers
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=100448
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
5540 posts
1381 upvotes
How would this be for just regular NAS usage for media files?
[OP]
Jul 29, 2010
377 posts
867 upvotes
Montreal
game_fanatic wrote: How would this be for just regular NAS usage for media files?
Should be fine.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4090 posts
1002 upvotes
Thanks OP. Good to upgrade my Lorex.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
5540 posts
1381 upvotes
Thought about buying 4 of these for my eventual 4-bay NAS but I just feel like I'd be upgrading again in a couple years. I have an 8TB external HD that's about 50% full and I've only had the thing for like 3 months lol
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2008
1055 posts
355 upvotes
Fraser Valley
FYI, Amazon ships bare drives in a thin bubble wrap envelope. I ordered a couple of WD Red 10 tb hard drives a few weeks ago and I was shocked at how it was shipped. Both Drives had issues and were sent back.

They seem to do a great job on packing other items, I'm not sure why they ship the drives in a way that they are going to be damaged
Oct 9, 2013
21 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON
FrostyButters wrote: FYI, Amazon ships bare drives in a thin bubble wrap envelope. I ordered a couple of WD Red 10 tb hard drives a few weeks ago and I was shocked at how it was shipped. Both Drives had issues and were sent back.

They seem to do a great job on packing other items, I'm not sure why they ship the drives in a way that they are going to be damaged
Yea, I would never suggest buying raw drives from Amazon unless you can pack it in with tons of other stuff in the box(soft). Shucking is different because the drive is in an enclosure built to protect the drive, inside a box meant to protect the enclosure, whereas a bare drive has what is given to it by the shipper. The other issue is who gets the package and where it is placed in the vehicle, if it is taken by a Amazon curriers car then it should be relatively safe assuming that worker doesn't throw your package on to the ground. Where is if it goes threw any type of automated sorting system or sits at the bottom of the cube van well, get ready for that return form.

They've also done horrible packing on items, I bought a router which didn't come in anything just the manufactures wrap with a shipping label, I also bought a water pump for my new computer that had the same thing happen to it. I think packaging comes down to the worker depending on the item really (plus if they are behind their quota), also no the website never stated the packages would ship showing whats inside, and neither where too big for a bubble wrap packet.

Edit: Going to the 4Tb selection amazon shows this: "Item arrives in packaging that reveals what's inside. To hide it, choose Ship in Amazon packaging at checkout." Which makes me wonder does seagate ship in boxes for the drives or do they ship like WD w/o a box?
Nov 29, 2003
353 posts
91 upvotes
North York
FrostyButters wrote: FYI, Amazon ships bare drives in a thin bubble wrap envelope. I ordered a couple of WD Red 10 tb hard drives a few weeks ago and I was shocked at how it was shipped. Both Drives had issues and were sent back.

This has never happened to me. They came in standard cardboard box, with plastic molds on each side that sandwich the HDD and ensure that it's lifted away from the sides of the box, basically 'floating' in the middle.

Analogies. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2008
1055 posts
355 upvotes
Fraser Valley
Elessar wrote: This has never happened to me. They came in standard cardboard box, with plastic molds on each side that sandwich the HDD and ensure that it's lifted away from the sides of the box, basically 'floating' in the middle.

Analogies. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I ordered 4 10 TB drives. 2 were from Amazon warehouse and arrived as you described. The other 2 were new and arrived, bare drive in thin bubble envelope. I suspect the 2 amazon warehouse drives were shipped out in a bubble envelope and returned (damaged in the process due to the poor packing), then carefully placed in the hard drive refurb box and shipped.

All 4 drives had to be returned. 1 amazon warehouse drive had physical damage, the other had a smart error with low helium, the other 2 new drives made grinding sounds when first turning on. I suspect all issues were due to poor packing.

Amazon is usually very good at packing, I'm not sure why they can't figure out hard drives need proper packaging.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2008
1055 posts
355 upvotes
Fraser Valley
EggRollz wrote: Yea, I would never suggest buying raw drives from Amazon unless you can pack it in with tons of other stuff in the box(soft). Shucking is different because the drive is in an enclosure built to protect the drive, inside a box meant to protect the enclosure, whereas a bare drive has what is given to it by the shipper. The other issue is who gets the package and where it is placed in the vehicle, if it is taken by a Amazon curriers car then it should be relatively safe assuming that worker doesn't throw your package on to the ground. Where is if it goes threw any type of automated sorting system or sits at the bottom of the cube van well, get ready for that return form.

They've also done horrible packing on items, I bought a router which didn't come in anything just the manufactures wrap with a shipping label, I also bought a water pump for my new computer that had the same thing happen to it. I think packaging comes down to the worker depending on the item really (plus if they are behind their quota), also no the website never stated the packages would ship showing whats inside, and neither where too big for a bubble wrap packet.

Edit: Going to the 4Tb selection amazon shows this: "Item arrives in packaging that reveals what's inside. To hide it, choose Ship in Amazon packaging at checkout." Which makes me wonder does seagate ship in boxes for the drives or do they ship like WD w/o a box?
When I ordered the 2 new WD Red 10tb drives, I selected ship in amazon packaging, and they arrived in thin bubble wrap envelope. I wonder if you don't select that option if the drive would arrive with a packing label sticker attached directly to the drive. Face With Tears Of Joy
Oct 9, 2013
21 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON
FrostyButters wrote: When I ordered the 2 new WD Red 10tb drives, I selected ship in amazon packaging, and they arrived in thin bubble wrap envelope. I wonder if you don't select that option if the drive would arrive with a packing label sticker attached directly to the drive. Face With Tears Of Joy
My pump did go threw a 3rd party courier I never heard of (tracking number didn't work either), so it could be an attempt to prevent damage?

However even if that was the case I personally wouldn't want a raw drive sitting in any sort of elements w/o protection. I've had packages properly placed by my door and improperly placed where the elements can easily go ham on it, and it seems like a 50/50 chance of getting the lazy driver.

Elessar wrote: This has never happened to me. They came in standard cardboard box, with plastic molds on each side that sandwich the HDD and ensure that it's lifted away from the sides of the box, basically 'floating' in the middle.

Analogies. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4 words if it lives longer than 6 months: Buy a Lottery ticket
Also how long ago was this? The DOA reviews on amazon for internals are not explicitly saying packing as a issue.
Also proper packaging doesn't mean no damage, hope you tested that thing to ensure nothing is wrong.
Oct 15, 2012
345 posts
364 upvotes
Sudbury

Generally Amazon packs reasonably well but I have had heavier items shipped with bags of chips for instance that didn't fair well-- or a box inside of another box that was 5x larger than it needed to be-- it seems some of the people packing the boxes aren't thinking a whole lot or really don't understand how the shipping companies handle the items especially on longer runs where the package can be handled multiple times by multiple people who may not be too gentle on your shipment-- I suspect Amazon incurs a lot of "damage in shipping" returns where one blames the other!. Hope my Seagate arrives alive!
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
13634 posts
3752 upvotes
Scarberia
Is this hard drive? 7200 RPM's Thank you.
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1129 posts
529 upvotes
game_fanatic wrote: Thought about buying 4 of these for my eventual 4-bay NAS but I just feel like I'd be upgrading again in a couple years. I have an 8TB external HD that's about 50% full and I've only had the thing for like 3 months lol
Not worth it when you consider the price per GB.

The 8TB drive from Costco is a much better deal.
Put three drives in RAID5 or two in RAID1.