• Dec 26th, 2019 12:59 pm
[OP]
Mar 8, 2013
337 posts
560 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] Sennheiser HD 599 SE Open Back Headphones - $129.95

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07RFNZYJZ

Deal of the Day (ends in 24 hrs). Was the same price on Cyber Monday.
13 replies
Jul 21, 2015
272 posts
316 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Great headphones and deal, be aware these are “open back” headphones, with all the pros and cons over the more common “closed back” design
Mar 20, 2008
83 posts
17 upvotes
Is this a really big upgrade from my Sony WH-1000XM3?
Also, since it's open-back, does it leak out a lot of sound? I've never had an open-back headphone before.
Lastly, do I need a DAC for it, I will be using it on my PC for movies and music.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2003
2297 posts
786 upvotes
eldeeb_hasan wrote: Is this a really big upgrade from my Sony WH-1000XM3?
Also, since it's open-back, does it leak out a lot of sound? I've never had an open-back headphone before.
Lastly, do I need a DAC for it, I will be using it on my PC for movies and music.
open headphones leak and sound better than closed headphones, but your closed headphones are really high end so they probably sound quite good. once you start spending hundreds of dollars on headphones they start sounding different, not better. and no these don't need a special dac
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5144 posts
3185 upvotes
Toronto
Loomy wrote: open headphones leak and sound better than closed headphones, but your closed headphones are really high end so they probably sound quite good. once you start spending hundreds of dollars on headphones they start sounding different, not better. and no these don't need a special dac
Open back headphones don't sound better than closed back. They're just different. They're often cheaper to get the same sq but you can easily find closed backs that'll blow the 599 out of the water.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2016
1091 posts
557 upvotes
I have the 579 open back. Imo open back headphones are in a class of their own and they are not meant to replace closed back headphones nor should one try to do so.
My 579 sound amazing, they are pretty good for music and gaming with the advantage you can hear what's going on around you as opposed to closed-back which will protect your hearing from ambient noise. Not he same type of sound and not the same usage.
For reference I have a pair of Sony MDR-something noise cancelling headphones as well.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3169 posts
884 upvotes
Mars
dumb Qs: wired only? what's open/closed back anyway?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5144 posts
3185 upvotes
Toronto
forgetpwd wrote: dumb Qs: wired only? what's open/closed back anyway?
Ya they're wired headphones. Open/closed back refers to whether the sound is blocked from escaping the back of the headphone. Most headphones people are familiar with are closed back so sound does not escape. Open backs do nothing to prevent sound from getting out but they also do nothing from letting sound getting in. That means they're use case is generally at home in a quieter setting. That said, it does change the sound profile and they are generally more comfortable, your ears don't get warm, etc. There's nothing like a good pair of open backs for listening in the privacy of your own home IMO but take it on a bus and you'll hear all bunch of bus noises and everyone will know what you're listening to so don't do it.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3169 posts
884 upvotes
Mars
Jep4444 wrote: Ya they're wired headphones. Open/closed back refers to whether the sound is blocked from escaping the back of the headphone. Most headphones people are familiar with are closed back so sound does not escape. Open backs do nothing to prevent sound from getting out but they also do nothing from letting sound getting in. That means they're use case is generally at home in a quieter setting. That said, it does change the sound profile and they are generally more comfortable, your ears don't get warm, etc. There's nothing like a good pair of open backs for listening in the privacy of your own home IMO but take it on a bus and you'll hear all bunch of bus noises and everyone will know what you're listening to so don't do it.
that's very enlightening and informative, i'm looking for something taking on the road when backpacking, i.e. bus, plane, hostel. i shall look for something else.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1482 posts
777 upvotes
Montreal
Loomy wrote: once you start spending hundreds of dollars on headphones they start sounding different, not better.
I find that not to be the case. I was listening to $4000 headphones and it had me in tears. It's hard to go back to the HD 599.
IBM 701 | germanium diodes | 2000 multiplication or division operations per second | 2048 word memory on 72 tubes, 1024 bits per tube| 38-bit Accumulator | 36-bit Multiplier-Quotient | 2 IBM 726 magnetic tapes - 2x 2 million digit storage
Jul 25, 2010
599 posts
430 upvotes
Vancouver
damn, missed the last sale but wanted the ivory one
May 20, 2008
98 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
forgetpwd wrote: dumb Qs: wired only? what's open/closed back anyway?
These are "high end" phones. At this level every detail matters, so the whole business of additional encoding / transmit by radio / receive / decode / amplify using small portable amplifier is pretty much out of the question. Too many compromises.

Also, manufacturers leave the back open not because they are saving plastic. As a rule in the same price range open back phones sound better than closed back. The best headphones are ALWAYS open back, there is no way around it.

There is a very simple procedure you can try to understand the difference. Pull the cups of your headphones a little away from your head so there is air in between. You'll immediately notice that the sound became more "open and airy". That's what open back headphones are after!
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
2392 posts
1016 upvotes
Montreal, QC
forgetpwd wrote: that's very enlightening and informative, i'm looking for something taking on the road when backpacking, i.e. bus, plane, hostel. i shall look for something else.
look at bose. they have sale going on. at the shopping channel, the QC25 (wired) is half price, $150 i think while the QC35ii is sub $200 at bose refurb
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5144 posts
3185 upvotes
Toronto
sumtimw0ng wrote: look at bose. they have sale going on. at the shopping channel, the QC25 (wired) is half price, $150 i think while the QC35ii is sub $200 at bose refurb
I'd only consider Bose if ANC is your chief priority.