Aug 27, 2014
6562 posts
2700 upvotes
Canuckland
Not bad but definitely won’t beat Sony XM3
Dec 15, 2018
56 posts
20 upvotes
I've already got 6xx. I like a lot of metal, prog, bit of dance and indie. Worth it to get these or keep just the 6xx
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2005
1433 posts
366 upvotes
Calgary
MatthewG566 wrote: I've already got 6xx. I like a lot of metal, prog, bit of dance and indie. Worth it to get these or keep just the 6xx
I would just keep the 6XX. I sold my 598 when I got these and have been happy.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1619 posts
896 upvotes
RiCHC3 wrote: People should start considering swapping to wireless headphones, especially at this price range. At worst, you plug in the physical cable and boom, you have a normal headset. At best, you can use it with your phone while you're out, do light stretches/exercises in the room while watching TV or a computer monitor, or even sit on the throne and skim reddit while listening to music. Added bonus if you're in a living situation where you can't just crank the music up and want to be considerate of others, cook your bacon and jam out.
The thing about wireless ones is they run their own dac/amp when acting as wireless headphones, so even if they sound great wireless(and tbh most dont sound as good as wired ones that are half as expensive. Like the WH1000XM3 probably sounds worse than these), they usually have different far less impressive sound profiles when plugged in. I know that was a huge complaint with the first and 2nd wireless momentum headphones, where it sounded quite good for a BT headphone, at the ~$400 price range, but sounded worse than sennheisers $100 closed headphones when it was directly plugged into a conventional dac/amp, bypassing all the DSP its internal dac used.
At that combined price, you really would be better served with just getting an antlion mod mic, unless you REALLY need a 1 cable solution. The antlion will sound noticeably better.
Aug 25, 2014
10 posts
131 upvotes
Longueil, QC
Scott86 wrote: The thing about wireless ones is they run their own dac/amp when acting as wireless headphones, so even if they sound great wireless(and tbh most dont sound as good as wired ones that are half as expensive. Like the WH1000XM3 probably sounds worse than these), they usually have different far less impressive sound profiles when plugged in. I know that was a huge complaint with the first and 2nd wireless momentum headphones, where it sounded quite good for a BT headphone, at the ~$400 price range, but sounded worse than sennheisers $100 closed headphones when it was directly plugged into a conventional dac/amp, bypassing all the DSP its internal dac used.

At that combined price, you really would be better served with just getting an antlion mod mic, unless you REALLY need a 1 cable solution. The antlion will sound noticeably better.
How much is the ModMic? 80ish? I'm using the boom pro with different headphones (For work and gaming). Also, didn't like the 2 wires solution with the antlion. Not sure about the sound bein noticeably better. Obviously, I cannot compare.
Oct 23, 2017
49 posts
30 upvotes
Ottawa
SamuelNapper wrote: Is it possible to get replacement earpads for this?
Not sure about these, but I had to call up Sennheiser and they shipped me ear pads for my HD598SE.

On a separate note, If anyone wants to make these wireless, I’ve been using the B-Tunes Bluetooth receiver for that for years. https://thebtunes.com/
(Make sure to select the HD598/599 model as they differ a lot!)

It’s a tiny little attachment that basically plugs into the 2.5mm jack in the headphones. It supports APTX and has excellent reception - the only issue I’ve had with these is the battery dying completely after about 1-1.5 years of heavy daily use. The battery lasts about 6 hours when new, but you can charge and use them at the same time (the battery may die quicker because of that, but I do that to be able to use these all day). For ease of life, I just have a magnetic charging cable tip plugged into it at all times and connect the other part whenever I want to charge it.

It does have a mic built-in, but due to how Bluetooth audio profiles work, if you use the profile that supports a microphone, you will have low quality audio, so I do not recommend using its microphone feature (usually the Bluetooth transmitter may add a recording sound device that you can disable).

I’ve used Avantree Leaf Bluetooth transmitter with these in the past and was pretty happy other than a weird bug where it maxed out the volume every time you connected to it. I eventually replaced the Leaf with Avantree Priva III and have been pretty happy ever since - it even supports 2 Bluetooth devices at the same time, so you can have 2 sets of Bluetooth headphones connected getting the same audio (even simultaneously if you want). Both transmitters provide connectivity for the whole house - I can even listen to these in the basement with the transmitter on the 2nd floor). The audio quality is excellent with either of these (over APTX), but Priva III has the option to plug it into the 3.5mm jack of your sound card.

The company ships these from California and their online support is pretty useless, but I’ve been using these for 4 years now and they work great.

Anyways, took me a long time to figure all of this out over the years, so I hope it will be helpful to someone :)
Aug 16, 2018
198 posts
104 upvotes
Scott86 wrote: At that combined price, you really would be better served with just getting an antlion mod mic, unless you REALLY need a 1 cable solution. The antlion will sound noticeably better.
I'm trying to find the Antlion mod mic but it's either unavailable or pretty expensive. Is this normal for it?
https://www.amazon.ca/Antlion-Audio-Mod ... B00R98JVVU
https://www.amazon.ca/Antlion-Audio-Att ... B07YN26PBT