• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2019 7:49 pm
[OP]
Oct 2, 2011
981 posts
306 upvotes
Edmonton

[Amazon.ca] Sennheiser HD569 Closed Back Headphones $130

Lowest price ever was $120 and they are currently $190 @ Best Buy/Staples. Going on a trip next week and was thinking about these for on the plane. Prime eligible.
24 replies
Mar 20, 2013
749 posts
935 upvotes
Winnipeg
Not a terrible price, but they aren't on sale ($130 is Amazon's current regular price). It's also the same price at walmart.ca and newegg.ca.

For use on a plane, I've found that noise cancelling is really helpful. Noise cancelling works best in environments with a steady noise, like the hum of an airplane engine.

My Sennheiser PXC 450's have always been great on airplanes, but you should be aware that most airlines will make you remove over-the-ear style headphones for take-off and landings, whereas they will normally allow you keep bud style earphones in place. That's a really minor inconvenience, but I've found it annoying when I was trying to finish a movie in the last couple of minutes before landing.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
43720 posts
7428 upvotes
Good price. May replace my worn out HD558s lol. By the way, any way to change these foam/velcro pads to a leather type pad? These love to collect lint, dust, etc. Not a fan of that.
Blanka
Oct 17, 2005
395 posts
710 upvotes
Toronto
Just note:
Sold by ELECTRONIQUE HI-FI INC and Fulfilled by Amazon

Sold by Amazon is $189
Jun 27, 2011
321 posts
456 upvotes
MONTRÉAL
Anyone can elaborate on sound difference with the 598c?
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
1890 posts
890 upvotes
GTA
djemzine wrote: May replace my worn out HD558s lol.
ChunkAhoy wrote: Anyone can elaborate on sound difference with the 598c?
Note that the HD569 is a closed back headphone though, which will sound differently than the open-back HD558/598.
I personally much prefer open-back headphones.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
2847 posts
1347 upvotes
Montreal, QC
ChunkAhoy wrote: Anyone can elaborate on sound difference with the 598c?
they are actually the same. just that the 598c is an amazon exclusive
Feb 11, 2016
461 posts
322 upvotes
wetcardboard wrote: Lowest price ever was $120 and they are currently $190 @ Best Buy/Staples. Going on a trip next week and was thinking about these for on the plane. Prime eligible.
Definitely, not for use on an airplane. Any IEM is better than on/over headphones (other than NC variants). The best option is foam earplugs if you don't mind them.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
43720 posts
7428 upvotes
Didn’t know it was a 3rd party seller. Will pass too.
Blanka
[OP]
Oct 2, 2011
981 posts
306 upvotes
Edmonton
Third party seller doesn't really matter to me if I'm still getting the product within 2 days.
[OP]
Oct 2, 2011
981 posts
306 upvotes
Edmonton
frugalfruit wrote: Definitely, not for use on an airplane. Any IEM is better than on/over headphones (other than NC variants). The best option is foam earplugs if you don't mind them.
I don't need complete noise isolation or anything for sleeping, just wanted some good sounding cans for movies that will dampen the outside noise. Have tried lots of earbuds and my ears always get sore. Never tried IEM though.
Sep 13, 2007
242 posts
152 upvotes
Kitchener-Waterloo, …
BlackXstar wrote: 3rd party seller. I will pass.
No affiliation to the seller (ELECTRONIQUE HI-FI INC) but I ordered headphones from them before, shipped quick, and I returned them without issue...ymmv, but i don't see it as being A deal breaker (if the deal is good that’s is)
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2010
1342 posts
683 upvotes
Surrey
wetcardboard wrote: Third party seller doesn't really matter to me if I'm still getting the product within 2 days.
jelloalien wrote: No affiliation to the seller (ELECTRONIQUE HI-FI INC) but I ordered headphones from them before, shipped quick, and I returned them without issue...ymmv, but i don't see it as being A deal breaker (if the deal is good that’s is)
Everything is rainbows and sunshine until something happens to the product and you have to RMA the thing.
0 tolerance for BS.

If I downvote, chances are it's less about the deal, and more about OP's inability to take criticism and constantly favoring their deal due to their ego.

A fool and his money are soon parted.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2003
2625 posts
2055 upvotes
djemzine wrote: May replace my worn out HD558
WARNING

Do not buy these closed headphones expecting them to sound like the open versions with the similar model numbers. Closed vs open is a BIG difference. Closed is only for keeping outside sounds out, or for keeping what you're listening to from getting out. The OPEN models are the ones that you want for good sound quality.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
43720 posts
7428 upvotes
Loomy wrote: WARNING

Do not buy these closed headphones expecting them to sound like the open versions with the similar model numbers. Closed vs open is a BIG difference. Closed is only for keeping outside sounds out, or for keeping what you're listening to from getting out. The OPEN models are the ones that you want for good sound quality.
Noted. Thanks! I didn't know the difference, but now I do.
Blanka
Feb 11, 2019
398 posts
438 upvotes
ON
598s (open back) have gone down to 100$ many times, much better buy for the average user, especially sans DAC, also really good for gaming IMO
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1815 posts
824 upvotes
Winnipeg
BlackXstar wrote: 3rd party seller. I will pass.
It may be a 3rd party seller but they are fulfilled by amazon which means the product is in Amazon's warehouse and they ship it to you. You also get Amazon's return policy and procedures with products that are fulfilled by amazon.
Lorenzo
Feb 11, 2016
461 posts
322 upvotes
wetcardboard wrote: I don't need complete noise isolation or anything for sleeping, just wanted some good sounding cans for movies that will dampen the outside noise. Have tried lots of earbuds and my ears always get sore. Never tried IEM though.

IEM are in-ear monitors that go inside your ears. Anyways, for good sound, any open back will be better than closed backs, but you may use them only at home. HD 559/579 are open backs.

One headphone won't fit all types of use.
  • For home use, always use open backs.
  • For outside of home, closed backs or IEMs.
  • For airplanes, noise cancelling or IEMs.
The link given here seems not to be sold by Amazon. Sennheiser won't provide warranty service unless it is an authorized dealer.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)