• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2021 11:54 pm
[OP]
Nov 20, 2017
502 posts
748 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Sennheiser PXC 550-II Wireless Over-Ear Headphones -- $280

Description:

"Superior sound quality and active noise cancellation: the PXC 550-II Wireless delivers Sennheiser legendary sound quality Exceptional battery performance up to 30 hours: The PXC 550-II Wireless delivers up to 30 hours of battery life One touch access to voice assistant: with the touch of a single button you have access to your AI helper: Siri, Hey Google and Alexa Touch pad control: a touch pad on the right ear cup provides volume, play, stop, pause and track skipping control Smart pause (activated via the app)/ auto on/off: swivel the ear cups to turn off, sensors detect when you wear the headphone and play/ pause music."

Comparable to offerings from SONY (Sony WH-1000XM4, $500 retail, $400 currently on sale) and the Bose 700's (Headphones 700, $479 retail, $379 currently on sale).

In a nutshell, Sennheiser PXC 550-II seems to have:

- better battery life,
- better portability (folds up),
- more Bluetooth protocols (aka better compatibility with devices/apps).
- slightly worse sound/ANC quality
- $100-150 cheaper

Per CCC, these go on sale at this price fairly regularly. I've just been looking for a good value pair of ANC cans with awesome battery life, Sennheiser build and good sound quality is a plus.

Thread Summary
If you're shopping around, check out RFD Reviews' top picks for the best wireless headphones!
22 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5118 posts
393 upvotes
Toronto
No time machine (I was going to post it but London Drugs bumped up the price before I could) but I got the Momentum 3 for $300 ~2 weeks ago.

From a build and sound quality perspective, they are great. The fact that I got them even cheaper than the XM4s was a bonus. I tried out the XM4s before the Momentum 3s and they just felt a lot cheaper. After having my Plantronics Backbeats Pro fall apart (after 5 years though), I have a lot more confidence in the Sennheiser build quality. If you need top notch ANC (I don't and I'm pretty happy with the Momentum 3's ANC), not sure you can beat the XM4s, Bose or Apple's new headphones.
[OP]
Nov 20, 2017
502 posts
748 upvotes
kimwoobingsu wrote: I think the better buy is the WH XM3 which are around the same price.
Why do you think so? This was my first Bluetooth-anything purchase, so I'm open to more info/use cases.
Feb 12, 2017
82 posts
57 upvotes
Keep in mind that the earcups on these are small (much smaller than the xm3/4 , qc35, and bose 700), so if you have big-ish ears, you might want to skip these.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
3144 posts
6413 upvotes
prodacc wrote: Why do you think so? This was my first Bluetooth-anything purchase, so I'm open to more info/use cases.
If you are looking for ANC, the Sony's are pretty much the best. They sound decent, but a good wired pair of $200~ headphones will likely have better sound quality.

My primary use case for these were as office/ airplane headphones, so their main job was to cut out the ambient noise.

I like the XM3 so much I own 4 pairs of them, and also a pair of XM2.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2059 posts
836 upvotes
BC
I've had a pair for over a year. It's lost its pairing over 20 times, and I keep saying, "get an RMA this weekend when I have time" and just procrastinate.

There's also some apt-x LL problem in the headphones or the apt-x codec, as it doesn't work properly with any apt-x LL transmitter I've tried.

Lastly, lately there's been some noticeable static that I hear all time when audio is muted or paused or whatever. It really is time for me to get them replaced.

Definitely turned me off from buying $300 headphones again.
Koodo: $45/10GB Unlimited Canada wide calling
Apr 26, 2020
126 posts
112 upvotes
Ontario
If calls are a priority, its mic is much better than the Sony’s.
Nov 29, 2013
24 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver
Timbo420 wrote: I've had a pair for over a year. It's lost its pairing over 20 times, and I keep saying, "get an RMA this weekend when I have time" and just procrastinate.

There's also some apt-x LL problem in the headphones or the apt-x codec, as it doesn't work properly with any apt-x LL transmitter I've tried.

Lastly, lately there's been some noticeable static that I hear all time when audio is muted or paused or whatever. It really is time for me to get them replaced.

Definitely turned me off from buying $300 headphones again.
100% what this guy is saying. The pairing is sub-par, and aptx low latency has massive issues with crackling, and i've tried 5 different receivers (the ones that "do" work essentially just force regular aptx over aptx-LL).
I also noticed headband pressure which i remedied by adding memory foam to the band. Still using the headphones since the audio quality is superb, but i'll definitely be checking out sony's offerings for my next pair.
Nov 14, 2008
843 posts
308 upvotes
while the quality of the sound is fine , i'd steer clear of headphones where is a mix of plastic/metal or just plastic at the folds. The momentums look like they are metal where they fold?
Asad_A203 wrote: No time machine (I was going to post it but London Drugs bumped up the price before I could) but I got the Momentum 3 for $300 ~2 weeks ago.

From a build and sound quality perspective, they are great. The fact that I got them even cheaper than the XM4s was a bonus. I tried out the XM4s before the Momentum 3s and they just felt a lot cheaper. After having my Plantronics Backbeats Pro fall apart (after 5 years though), I have a lot more confidence in the Sennheiser build quality. If you need top notch ANC (I don't and I'm pretty happy with the Momentum 3's ANC), not sure you can beat the XM4s, Bose or Apple's new headphones.
Nov 17, 2007
480 posts
1624 upvotes
Canada
Between these and the WH-1000XM4's, which would have the overall better sound quality?

I'd like to get some great ANC headphones for the office, but want them to have great overall sound quality as well.
Came for the deals...stayed...for the deals.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2003
1436 posts
551 upvotes
North York
This is pretty much their regular price, as I've been following it almost daily on Amazon.ca since the end of last year.

The cheapest was $208 on Nov 1, 2020 but that was with a coupon and I haven't seen the coupon available in awhile

sennheiser-pxc-550-ii-wireless-noise-ca ... n-2414697/

If you love your bass, then get the XM4's.

I ended up getting the Bose QuietComfort 35 II mostly for comfort from prolonged use, and I'm totally happy with them (these Sennheisers were my second choice and the XM4's my 3rd).
[OP]
Nov 20, 2017
502 posts
748 upvotes
AA7HBS wrote: Between these and the WH-1000XM4's, which would have the overall better sound quality?

I'd like to get some great ANC headphones for the office, but want them to have great overall sound quality as well.
Seems like super-generally speaking, Bose 700 has best ANC and calls; Sony XM3/4 has best sound; and Sennheiser PXC II has best value and connectivity options.

"Sound" is extremely subjective, as it would require knowing what your preference is for frequency affect. IIRC, Bose's signature is a flat response (sound in = sound out), and Sony will have a boosted bass (pleasing to "modern ears").

However, regular office noise is fairly easy for ANC to handle, so really, any of these choices from Sony, Bose or Sennheiser would serve you well. I just trust Sennheiser's emphasis on engineering and function over gimmicks like "Alexa assistant touch-buttons" or "talk-enabled muting".
Nov 24, 2007
569 posts
578 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I have a pair of the EPOS Adapt 660, which I believe are the same headphones as the PXC 550II bundled with a BT dongle and targeted to business users with UC requirements.

I've been VERY happy with the sound quality on these headphones - not as bass-heavy as my Sony WH-H900N , but a very detailed, neutral sound much like my PSB M4U (wired).

Although initially I was concerned about the durability given the plastic build, it is a very flexible plastic that has been holding up great over the last year, and LT owners generally suggest that LT durability has been very good. The light weight compared to most other high-end cans makes these very comfortable for extended wearing.

I have been using these a lot during WFH, having music play from my computer and taking calls from my phone or Teams. All the feedback I've received suggests that the mic quality is very good.
[OP]
Nov 20, 2017
502 posts
748 upvotes
I wouldn't recommend them if your gear needs to handle rougher travel.

Just my 2c, but if Edifier has created ANC headphones reviewed competitively against cans triple the price, I would bet the difference durability would be one of the categories to take a hit. The review also mentions they're plastic.

If you don't need ANC or a (good) mic, you can definitely get more durable headphones for that price (but I don't know any off the top of my head).
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
2934 posts
2537 upvotes
Antarctica
Wait for black Friday when these will come closer to $200.