Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Shan Zu Damascus Steel 7 inch Santoku Knife for 22.00$ after 60% off Coupon

• Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2019 4:12 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5443 posts
4731 upvotes
Deal seems sketchy as hell. OP, where did you find this 60% off code?... hope they didn't pay you to post this.

Fake reviews, inflated MSRP, fake damascus, suspiciously low price/coupon code..... not looking good at all
Sep 3, 2009
546 posts
233 upvotes
Calgary
I am trying it for $22, it's fulfilled by amazon, so return will be easy if it's really that bad. I have a few more expensive knifes, but won't mind to have a beater knife at $20 at least looks nice.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
3822 posts
4573 upvotes
Vancouver
superfresh89 wrote: Deal seems sketchy as hell. OP, where did you find this 60% off code?... hope they didn't pay you to post this.

Fake reviews, inflated MSRP, fake damascus, suspiciously low price/coupon code..... not looking good at all
Fake or not, it's $22 tax and S&H in. Could not be so bad that I'm not gonna get my monies worth of use from it.. Had cheaper looking knives for more $$$

And for the 'knife snobs' within us - this obviously is not a deal for you. Move on.
"A fool and his money are soon parted" Thomas Tusser (1524-1580)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5443 posts
4731 upvotes
max011 wrote: Fake or not, it's $22 tax and S&H in. Could not be so bad that I'm not gonna get my monies worth of use from it.. Had cheaper looking knives for more $$$

And for the 'knife snobs' within us - this obviously is not a deal for you. Move on.
Still not worth it. There are many reputable knifemakers with offerings at the $30-40 price range. A good kitchen knife is not something you want to cheap out on. I would go with the Victornox over this any day, even though it's slightly more expensive. Heck, if affordability is a real issue, a $10 President's Choice knife from Loblaws might be just as good as this crap.

Another option for this price range would be to buy a used knife
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
3822 posts
4573 upvotes
Vancouver
superfresh89 wrote: Still not worth it. There are many reputable knifemakers with offerings at the $30-40 price range. A good kitchen knife is not something you want to cheap out on. I would go with the Victornox over this any day, even though it's slightly more expensive. Heck, if affordability is a real issue, a $10 President's Choice knife from Loblaws might be just as good as this crap.

Another option for this price range would be to buy a used knife
OK, so go with the Victornox...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5443 posts
4731 upvotes
max011 wrote: OK, so go with the Victornox...
I would if I were looking for a knife.

I only posted to hopefully prevent RFDers from getting ripped off by this so-called "deal". This is the equivalent of buying an Invicta watch on a cruise for $80 that had an "MSRP" of $700
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
3822 posts
4573 upvotes
Vancouver
superfresh89 wrote: I would if I were looking for a knife.

I only posted to hopefully prevent RFDers from getting ripped off by this so-called "deal". This is the equivalent of buying an Invicta watch on a cruise for $80 that had an "MSRP" of $700
OK. Thank you. You made your point. Seven times over.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5443 posts
4731 upvotes
max011 wrote: OK. Thank you. You made your point. Seven times over.
Lol no. I said it just once at first. You forced me to repeat myself. Sorry you got tricked... It's not too late to cancel your Amazon order
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
3822 posts
4573 upvotes
Vancouver
superfresh89 wrote: Lol no. I said it just once at first. You forced me to repeat myself. Sorry you got tricked... It's not too late to cancel your Amazon order
I understood you the first time. I didn't listen. No need to keep going repeating.

I'm not shopping for the mortgage here. It's $22 all in and I'll happily throw it away.

It might just turn that this was OK deal after all. Or not. I really don't care. All I know, I'm not letting my wife handle expensive knives. Shes known to cut wires with them. So this will do just fine. Case closed.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5443 posts
4731 upvotes
max011 wrote: I understood you the first time. I didn't listen. No need to keep going repeating.

I'm not shopping for the mortgage here. It's $22 all in and I'll happily throw it away.

It might just turn that this was OK deal after all. Or not. I really don't care. All I know, I'm not letting my wife handle expensive knives. Shes known to cut wires with them. So this will do just fine. Case closed.
Not my problem if people can't read or listen.

RFD is a money-saving community. Not everybody has or wants to throw away $22, and most would certainly not do it happily.

"Case closed" when you haven't even recieved or used the product, lol ok sure.
[OP]
May 20, 2006
45 posts
19 upvotes
Well this escalated quickly.

I shared what seemed to me, at the time, as an interesting deal. The coupon is available all over the internet, and no, I am not paid for this. I was not expecting such negativity.

The Shan Zu joins my 6+yr old Fibrox, 2yr old Henckel pro, and 8-10yr old Chicago Cutlery. The fibrox is a workhorse that requires proper maintenance, like any other knife. I had originally paid around 25$, and at today's price of close to 50$, it's about as much as they are worth imo. The Henckel is garbage. The Chicago cutlery remains my all time favourite, holds an edge way longer than the fibrox, and cost under 20$.

Where does the Shan Zu fit in? Well it doesn't. It's an attractive knife for occassional usage. It is too early to tell how it'll age, but on first impression I would suggest it at 22$ (definitely not at MSRP).
Jan 22, 2006
166 posts
25 upvotes
Received mine.

I don’t know very much about chef knifes, but do have some experience with better quality pocket, and hunting knifes.

I would say this is not damascus for sure, but seems to be a well made knife with quite a bit of heft compared to “as seen on TV” type knives.

I bought mine to replace a crappy 7” Santoku Faberware knife from Canadian tire that I wrecked!

This one has much better build and finish and I think worth the price.

Time will tell!
Images
  • 9F636D5D-2648-46AF-9C04-787BB3E4F709.jpeg
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
3822 posts
4573 upvotes
Vancouver
acidburn5103 wrote: Well this escalated quickly.

I shared what seemed to me, at the time, as an interesting deal. The coupon is available all over the internet, and no, I am not paid for this. I was not expecting such negativity.

The Shan Zu joins my 6+yr old Fibrox, 2yr old Henckel pro, and 8-10yr old Chicago Cutlery. The fibrox is a workhorse that requires proper maintenance, like any other knife. I had originally paid around 25$, and at today's price of close to 50$, it's about as much as they are worth imo. The Henckel is garbage. The Chicago cutlery remains my all time favourite, holds an edge way longer than the fibrox, and cost under 20$.

Where does the Shan Zu fit in? Well it doesn't. It's an attractive knife for occassional usage. It is too early to tell how it'll age, but on first impression I would suggest it at 22$ (definitely not at MSRP).
Thanks and thanked for your post! You did a great job. Good find. I really appreciate it!!

As for these "experts", "well-wishers" and other threadcrappers that are always lurking around here. Happens all the time. They must be a hit at parties. Just disregard them.