Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Short 1ft extension cords, 10pk $20.39

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2019 2:29 pm
Mar 22, 2016
41 posts
21 upvotes
mindabsence wrote: Amazon is so sketchy for any sort of electrical products. The sheer amount of uncertified stuff they allow to be sold infuriates me (as the son of an electrician who understands the dangers and implications of what electrical products can look like if they aren't put through our rigorous certification standards in North America - which exist for a reason.). Really wish our regulatory bodies would put some pressure on Amazon to cut down on allowing that stuff because 90% of buyers don't know any better and just buy "because it's cheaper". It's all fun and games till part (or all) of your house burns down someday and insurance refuses coverage.
How would you go about verifying if the cert is legit or not? UL's site says the only way to know if it's UL certified is to check the product itself.
Jul 26, 2013
592 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
I have a set of these exact ones at home. My set says UL on it for anyone interested. Nice catch OP. +1
Last edited by needybot on Dec 10th, 2019 10:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2004
5083 posts
2804 upvotes
Edmonton
CheapoFillipo wrote: Can someone explain why we have "adapters" on some plugs?
I don't get it, are they intentionally made to block the second plug on a wall?
I assume it's just a cost factor? Devices that run on DC power need some sort of transformer. Probably cheaper to put it into the power cord and keep the device smaller.

But, the power adapter itself generates heat, so you don't want a ton of them side by side either hence blocking the next outlet. You also don't want that heat in your device either... And power bars are cheap so they make them as small as possible too with minimal spacing.

Things can be small and efficient, but always at a cost factor so you get big bulky adapters.
Jul 26, 2013
592 posts
371 upvotes
Toronto
jm1 wrote: At first I thought "1 foot extension cords? That's ridiculous!", then I looked at how they were used, and now I'm like "1 foot extension cords? That's brilliant!"
I used to think the exact same thing. Now I think a 1/2 foot extension would be even better lol (even cheaper and less space)
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1801 posts
1266 upvotes
jm1 wrote: At first I thought "1 foot extension cords? That's ridiculous!", then I looked at how they were used, and now I'm like "1 foot extension cords? That's brilliant!"
Right? Theres so many places i can think of using these that currently look like a mess because of wall warts. Ideally id like to find a flat rotatable plug thats 1' long with 2 or 3 female outlets. I could use about 5 of these ones, but i could get along fine with just 2 if they had more than one female outlet. I bought a bunch of those primecables power bars that screw directly into an outlet and have 2USB ports. They're great for everything except the outlets are placed too close together(even closer than a standard outlet) so even using chunky regular plugs can block the neighboring outlet.
Nov 22, 2016
732 posts
454 upvotes
waynecarrigan wrote: I use the flat rotating 1ft cords for plugs behind appliances, furniture I want to push as close the the wall as possible.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B071KSM5DQ/

Also use the ones from the OP for outdoor outlets and power bars where the plug of an item is grounded flat or and large adapter.

If only we could find a ten pack of these for this price!!! This design has much more purpose.
Jan 11, 2012
410 posts
351 upvotes
PORT ALBERNI
I think that it's pretty hard to verify. I'm pretty sure as well that the sketchy cheapo manufacturers don't think twice about faking the CSA / UL stickers. I wonder a lot about some of the stuff on the shelf of the local dollar store in this regard.
windrixx wrote: How would you go about verifying if the cert is legit or not? UL's site says the only way to know if it's UL certified is to check the product itself.
Jun 26, 2019
348 posts
839 upvotes
windrixx wrote: How would you go about verifying if the cert is legit or not? UL's site says the only way to know if it's UL certified is to check the product itself.
These are not UL certified.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2018 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
dealzhuntr wrote: Make sure you check that the ground on these is actually connected.

Also, I doubt these are actually CSA rated so if you have an electrical fire your insurance may deny your coverage.
Isn’t the UL certification accepted here? The problem is UL and/or CSA certification increases the cost, even for things made in China where almost all of these types of electrical components are made. Preople won’t pay the difference and we’ve been really short sighted in allowing our manufacturing capability to vanish.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2005
5355 posts
2721 upvotes
WFH
Your insurance provider would go nuts if they saw 10 of these plugged into a power bar
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17375 upvotes
Markham
Writer wrote: I just checked mine and I can confirm the cords from Primecables have UL and CSA logos on them. (Made in China.)

The photos of the Etekcity cords at Amazon show the UL logo but not CSA.
Thanks for confirming the Primecables are certified.

FYI I've found Primecables to be good for safety. I bought a portable Ceramic, oscillating adjustable thermostat heater last year from them and they contacted me to say it was recalled. They wanted it shipped back at their cost and they refunded my money. Most retailers don't care to contact ppl, they just post a notice.

It's the same heater I've seen at a lot of other retailers just re-branded and yet those heaters were still on the shelves.

Put the Primecables short extension cords on my wish list and will wait to see if pricing comes down...nice that I don't have to buy 10 of these.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2004
3379 posts
710 upvotes
North Etobicoke
Is there any extension cord about 25-50ft that I can plug in stuff about every foot. I need it for the Christmas decorations outside (Lights, lighted reindeers and other Christmas stuff) It's all plugged in but I have to keep joining extension, plug 2 items, another extension. ect. and it leads to one receptacle.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1501 posts
3477 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
dealzhuntr wrote: These are not UL certified.
Well, the cable has a UL number (0029842G5) taped around it. I know it's easy to fake these labels, but then I don't know of an easier alternative to verify it's legitimacy either.

There're millions of products with UL listing numbers on them, trouble is that there's no consumer-facing database available to the general public to validate against.

e.g., TP-Link Kasa smart plugs have the number E481494, but a search on UL's website returns nothing!

Image.jpeg

Image 2.jpeg
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1915 posts
1500 upvotes
Longueuil
mindabsence wrote: Amazon is so sketchy for any sort of electrical products. The sheer amount of uncertified stuff they allow to be sold infuriates me (as the son of an electrician who understands the dangers and implications of what electrical products can look like if they aren't put through our rigorous certification standards in North America - which exist for a reason.). Really wish our regulatory bodies would put some pressure on Amazon to cut down on allowing that stuff because 90% of buyers don't know any better and just buy "because it's cheaper". It's all fun and games till part (or all) of your house burns down someday and insurance refuses coverage.
Do you have evidence of an insurer denying claims because an electrical product was not CSA certified? I keep hearing that but when I do searches, I cannot find any evidence to back this up (newspaper articles etc). With the internet, I suppose a bunch of people buy stuff that is not CSA certified or has a fake CSA certification. Yet, I cannot seem to find any specific cases. I am not saying you are wrong, I am simply looking for some actual events of this occurring (not in theory, real occurences that actually happened). I'll admit I have a hard time believing an insurer would go that far to find evidence that the fire was caused by an electronic device that was not CSA certified (I suppose it must not be easy) and then denied the claim. Furthermore if the certification is fake, most people will never know. You cannot expect the general public to know when the CSA certification is real or fake.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1501 posts
3477 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
JEDI Force wrote: Do you have evidence of an insurer denying claims because an electrical product was not CSA certified? I keep hearing that but when I do searches, I cannot find any evidence to back this up (newspaper articles etc). With the internet, I suppose a bunch of people buy stuff that is not CSA certified or has a fake CSA certification. Yet, I cannot seem to find any specific cases. I am not saying you are wrong, I am simply looking for some actual events of this occurring (not in theory, real occurences that actually happened). I'll admit I have a hard time believing an insurer would go that far to find evidence that the fire was caused by an electronic device that was not CSA certified (I suppose it must not be easy) and then denied the claim. Furthermore if the certification is fake, most people will never know. You cannot expect the general public to know when the CSA certification is real or fake.

I think this becomes more important when people start messing with wiring inside the walls of a building that goes against safety codes. For these cables, CSA/UL cert is just a means to inform a customer that the product has been tested against certain safety standards in US/Canada. Other than that, no where in a contract from your insurance broker will it read that you will need to validate UL/CSA listing of a product before using it in your household.

I used to think so as well, but then it would be common knowledge and a majority of the public would have an easily accessible means to verify a product’s UL/CSA listing status. It just seems impractical to do so at the moment and appears to be more of a naysayers fear-mongering tale than otherwise.

Happy if someone proves me wrong here.
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2004
1472 posts
2777 upvotes
Ontario
JEDI Force wrote: Do you have evidence of an insurer denying claims because an electrical product was not CSA certified? I keep hearing that but when I do searches, I cannot find any evidence to back this up (newspaper articles etc). With the internet, I suppose a bunch of people buy stuff that is not CSA certified or has a fake CSA certification. Yet, I cannot seem to find any specific cases. I am not saying you are wrong, I am simply looking for some actual events of this occurring (not in theory, real occurences that actually happened). I'll admit I have a hard time believing an insurer would go that far to find evidence that the fire was caused by an electronic device that was not CSA certified (I suppose it must not be easy) and then denied the claim. Furthermore if the certification is fake, most people will never know. You cannot expect the general public to know when the CSA certification is real or fake.
Ten years ago the house across the street from us burnt down. As soon as it was determined it was an electrical fire, and where the fire started, every single electrical item in that area was heavily investigated and we were told by the neighbor that this was one of the things they were drilling into when trying to understand what exact electrical product it was that went up in flames and how it happened. Fire ended up being the result of a faulty product that was installed as part of some electrical work that was redone to modernize the house a few weeks earlier (nobody was at fault, it was something with the product itself that just went up in flames due to a defect right off the assembly line, yikes.). Sadly, the whole house was bulldozed and the elderly owner's health went downhill from the stress and he never lived to see the new place.

Second source: my good friend's spouse works in insurance. I've texted him this morning to ask and he confirms insurance companies will 100% look into certifications on products if fire investigations give any suspicion that the fire was started due to electrical or due to an electrical product. Insurance companies always want a reason to not pay and will go the extra mile to find something that goes against the clauses in your policy :)
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1442 posts
1406 upvotes
CheapoFillipo wrote: Can someone explain why we have "adapters" on some plugs?
I don't get it, are they intentionally made to block the second plug on a wall?
Usually, it's because the device actually runs on DC; the brick is a transformer to convert to wall AC and step it down to a usable DC voltage and current.
Beep\Bop\Boop
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
6019 posts
3614 upvotes
Toronto
I bought a bunch of 3-socket power bars with 15" cords from Dollarama a few years ago. On a per-socket basis they were cheaper. I don't know current availability or price.

There are octopus/squid power cables too, like this https://www.primecables.ca/p-314228-cab ... nema-5-15p or https://www.amazon.ca/STANLEY-31500-5-G ... B007X5RERW

It's hard to say which is messier.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1915 posts
1500 upvotes
Longueuil
mindabsence wrote: Ten years ago the house across the street from us burnt down. As soon as it was determined it was an electrical fire, and where the fire started, every single electrical item in that area was heavily investigated and we were told by the neighbor that this was one of the things they were drilling into when trying to understand what exact electrical product it was that went up in flames and how it happened. Fire ended up being the result of a faulty product that was installed as part of some electrical work that was redone to modernize the house a few weeks earlier (nobody was at fault, it was something with the product itself that just went up in flames due to a defect right off the assembly line, yikes.). Sadly, the whole house was bulldozed and the elderly owner's health went downhill from the stress and he never lived to see the new place.

Second source: my good friend's spouse works in insurance. I've texted him this morning to ask and he confirms insurance companies will 100% look into certifications on products if fire investigations give any suspicion that the fire was started due to electrical or due to an electrical product. Insurance companies always want a reason to not pay and will go the extra mile to find something that goes against the clauses in your policy :)
I am not doubting what you said but I would still like to see something "official" about this issue (article, report etc). I have a hard time believing the insurance company would be able to determine that a simple extension cord was CSA certified or not after a house burned (I am not talking about doing renovations not up to code which is different IMO). My insurance is about to get renewed (this month) so I'll take a look out of curiosity to see if there is any mention of that in the contract (I assume any reason for denial must be written). And no, I do not plan to have non-CSA certified equipment, I am simply curious because it is not the first time I hear this but I cannot find any solid evidence to back this claim.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Addict
May 8, 2001
1185 posts
1762 upvotes
PrimeCables has free shipping today with code PCFS on Primecables branded products, So if you just need a couple of these they were still cheaper per piece than this 10 pack but now with free shipping. I linked to these earlier in the thread but here it is again

https://www.primecables.ca/p-360809-cab ... tly_viewed

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)