Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Silicon Power 128GB / 256GB / 512GB / 1TB for $18.99 / $25.99 / $41.99 / $81.99 SATA 3D NAND SSDs (M.2 ATL too!)

Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2019
2109 posts
5297 upvotes
North York ON
Ridinginoffice7 wrote: share link of the $6.99 bracket, also will the TV detect this as a regular hard drive when connected via USB?
It depends on the TV. LG, for example, needs the drive formatted to exfat and it is good to go.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2019
2109 posts
5297 upvotes
North York ON
jaksdj22 wrote: any 2tb deal
Quite a few, just search SSD 2TB on Amazon with prime filtering enabled.

NVMe: ADATA Swordfish 2TB https://a.co/d/g0thFba

SATA 2.5": Silicon Power 2TB https://a.co/d/cWc2msK

The SP one was ~$10 lower a few days ago. So I would wait until the Early Access event for Prime on Oct 12/13. Chances are prices will go back down for that. Possibly even lower.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 6, 2006
7948 posts
2864 upvotes
Washington, DC
Ridinginoffice7 wrote: share link of the $6.99 bracket, also will the TV detect this as a regular hard drive when connected via USB?
Why are you plugging a hard drive into your TV instead of your router?
SSD is a waste of money for a network drive. Just get a 4TB spinner.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 6, 2006
7948 posts
2864 upvotes
Washington, DC
ES_Revenge wrote: Nah you prolly know more about it than me, lol. I never paid that much attention to PS4 so if you've read that the Pro benefits, I'm guessing it does. I do remember articles showing the original PS4 didn't benefit much but things change and as you say the Pro does have faster hardware.

This more recent article seems to say you do get a performance boost in either PS4:
https://www.techradar.com/news/should-i ... or-ps4-pro
That article doesn't have any benchmarks.

If you watch PS4 SSD benchmarks on YouTube the average difference is 5-20 seconds, but in the majority of games there's barely any difference.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 26, 2008
1284 posts
256 upvotes
Ottawa
Hi,

I currently (the last 5yrs) have Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe PCI-E 250GB Solid State Drive, Read:3,200 MB/s, Write:1,500 MB/s (MZ-V6E250BW) on my main win10 rig.
The reason I want to upgrade is to upgrade to 1TB from 250Gb. Would 1TB A60 be good enough as OS drive and replacement? or should I wait for black Friday specials?
Temp. Banned
Jun 20, 2020
17142 posts
22927 upvotes
Toronto
amd111 wrote: Hi,

I currently (the last 5yrs) have Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe PCI-E 250GB Solid State Drive, Read:3,200 MB/s, Write:1,500 MB/s (MZ-V6E250BW) on my main win10 rig.
The reason I want to upgrade is to upgrade to 1TB from 250Gb. Would 1TB A60 be good enough as OS drive and replacement? or should I wait for black Friday specials?
For an OS drive, I would get an SSD with DRAM.

I would wait for Black Friday deals.
Destiny is all
Jr. Member
User avatar
Feb 20, 2019
180 posts
261 upvotes
Just sharing a little "showthought" I had regarding the nvme drive... as I intend to put one in my brand new refurbished optiplex 7050 micro which I got from the other thread deal :)

So, I was wondering how long I could last this drive (in theory). Because the MTBF is completely useless ; 2 Millions hours, or roughly 228 years !! Face With Tears Of Joy

As I was checking SP's published specs, I noticed the P34A60 only had a reported TBW of 600... which to me at first, seemed low (seeing as, at $dayjob, I use enterprise drives which are in the upper 8000 TBW)...

Well, rough calculations led me to an unexpected conclusion... which is that, with my use case (a small proxmox and docker lab), I will probably NEVER be able to achieve the drive's TBW limit...

  • 336 GBW/day = 5 years
  • 168 GBW/day = 10 years
  • 84 GBW/day = 20 years

So, am I so wrong to say that TBW is basically a non-issue, except for specific VERY write-intensive workloads?

I mean, who writes hundreds of gigabytes of NEW DATA each and every single day, consistently, for years?!?!

Cheers,
Deal Fanatic
Dec 26, 2014
7547 posts
8310 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
patthan wrote: The videos I have seen reviewing the pro getting an SSD upgrade state substantial rendering and load time improvements with horizon load time being cut in half.

The pro has a faster hard drive data transfer rate than the regular PS4 so it can utilize (I think 600 vs 300) the benefits more.

That's my noobie analysis...please correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes the PS4 Pro is SATA III vs the OG PS4/Slim only being SATA II, so there is improvements there. There's demonstrable improvements in load times and such. The only issue is that Sony put a hard cap on the data transfer rate in the firmware so it never truly sees the FULL benefits of being USB 3.0. Also it obviously doesn't recognize it's an SSD instead of an HDD so games still get installed like they would on an HDD (so taking up lots of space because of repeating assets and such).

If you want to put an SSD in it the best use of your money is to get a smaller SSD for internal storage and a larger HDD (up to 8 TB) for external storage. External HDDs also show measured improvements because they have access to USB 3.0 speeds (it's more apparent using an external on an OG PS4/Slim vs a Pro).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5692 posts
3831 upvotes
Toronto
AgedOne wrote: Just sharing a little "showthought" I had regarding the nvme drive... as I intend to put one in my brand new refurbished optiplex 7050 micro which I got from the other thread deal :)

So, I was wondering how long I could last this drive (in theory). Because the MTBF is completely useless ; 2 Millions hours, or roughly 228 years !! Face With Tears Of Joy

As I was checking SP's published specs, I noticed the P34A60 only had a reported TBW of 600... which to me at first, seemed low (seeing as, at $dayjob, I use enterprise drives which are in the upper 8000 TBW)...

Well, rough calculations led me to an unexpected conclusion... which is that, with my use case (a small proxmox and docker lab), I will probably NEVER be able to achieve the drive's TBW limit...

  • 336 GBW/day = 5 years
  • 168 GBW/day = 10 years
  • 84 GBW/day = 20 years

So, am I so wrong to say that TBW is basically a non-issue, except for specific VERY write-intensive workloads?

I mean, who writes hundreds of gigabytes of NEW DATA each and every single day, consistently, for years?!?!

Cheers,
600 TBW is actually pretty standard for TLC drives. QLC is considerably lower, with some smaller capacity drives list as low as 60 TBW. Still, that would be around 33.6GB a day (I'm assuming your math is right cause I'm too lazy to redo it) just to reach that in 5 years and since most people aren't even buying 256GB anymore, still probably not an issue. Especially because the TBW reported by the manufacturer is for warranty purposes, they don't expect the drive to just up and die the second it reaches that total.

So yes, there are cases where TBW does matter, but most consumers shouldn't worry about it. It's far more likely the controller on your SSD (especially cheap ones) will fail than the NAND failing.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 17, 2003
7739 posts
762 upvotes
Vancouver
Yesterday I received a 512gb labelled SSD, true capacity was 119.xx, someone ordered a 128 and 512, pryed apart the 512 and put that cover on the 128 , (swapped) Beware, sent it back for refund w description, appears easy to do but very lame
How can I be broke when I am saving so much?
Jr. Member
User avatar
Feb 20, 2019
180 posts
261 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: 33.6GB a day just to reach that in 5 years
Not 33.6, remove the decimal! I re-checked my math, just to be sure...

600 TB x 1024 = 614 400 GB
5 years = 1825 days

614 400 GB / 1825 days = 336 GB/day !


That's an insane amount of data. I mean, maybe someone downloading every new torrent they can find 24/7... but even then.
Jep4444 wrote: Especially because the TBW reported by the manufacturer is for warranty purposes, they don't expect the drive to just up and die the second it reaches that total.
Very good point!

Thanks for confirming I'm not so off-base ;)

Edit: That was for 60TBW...
Last edited by AgedOne on Oct 4th, 2022 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5692 posts
3831 upvotes
Toronto
AgedOne wrote: Not 33.6, remove the decimal! I re-checked my math, just to be sure...

600 TB x 1024 = 614 400 GB
5 years = 1825 days

614 400 GB / 1825 days = 336 GB/day !

That's an insane amount of data. I mean, maybe someone downloading every new torrent they can find 24/7... but even then.



Very good point!

Thanks for confirming I'm not so off-base ;)
Forgot to account for at least one leap day but I'll let it slide. Face With Tears Of Joy

Anyways, the 33.6GB was for the smallest TBW rating I could find on a current consumer drive, which was 60 TBW.

As for how one might hit it, obviously specific write intensive workloads would be a concern (especially video editing). Also an OS will also add some writes to a drive on the regular. The most obvious concern for a regular consumer would be if they have insufficient RAM and they're relying heavily on page swapping. I'm really curios how well the lowest spec'd M2 MacBook is gonna hold up given that 8GB is not enough RAM to run a modern web browser, it's a single chip design, which may or may not be QLC (could have a very low TBW) and Apple's propensity for using swap space like it's water.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Feb 20, 2019
180 posts
261 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: Forgot to account for at least one leap day but I'll let it slide. Face With Tears Of Joy

Anyways, the 33.6GB was for the smallest TBW rating I could find on a current consumer drive, which was 60 TBW.

As for how one might hit it, obviously specific write intensive workloads would be a concern (especially video editing). Also an OS will also add some writes to a drive on the regular. The most obvious concern for a regular consumer would be if they have insufficient RAM and they're relying heavily on page swapping. I'm really curios how well the lowest spec'd M2 MacBook is gonna hold up given that 8GB is not enough RAM to run a modern web browser, it's a single chip design, which may or may not be QLC (could have a very low TBW) and Apple's propensity for using swap space like it's water.
Which side are you... 365.2564 , or 365.24217 days per year? Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes But I disgress...
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24774 posts
32470 upvotes
The 512gb SATA for $41.99 is a good deal.

I needed another one so I ordered.
.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2010
2430 posts
1212 upvotes
burlington, on
ES_Revenge wrote: Was going to mention the same thing but I wasn't sure about the Professional edition. That said are 2.5" HDDs even much cheaper than SSDs these days?

...

Answering my own question, looks like at 1TB there's not much savings with an HDD but above that yeah...a 2TB HDD is like $100 to a SATA SSD which is like $200, and that money in HDD buys you 5TB (in 2.5").
What are pro-contro between sata SSD and NVME SSD other than connecting ports? Sorry trying learn if I should build a computer myself or buy as always a prebuilt
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5692 posts
3831 upvotes
Toronto
cayolargo wrote: What are pro-contro between sata SSD and NVME SSD other than connecting ports? Sorry trying learn if I should build a computer myself or buy as always a prebuilt
I could go at length about the differences but the only real con to NVMe over SATA is that ports are more limited. If you're building a new machine, you'll likely have 2-3 NVMe ports so it's an easy decision given the prices are so similar as is. Personally, I advocate for learning to build yourself (if you have the time), you have way more control over the parts that go into it so you're less likely to end up with some garbage proprietary component.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)