• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2019 11:25 am
[OP]
Jul 1, 2009
330 posts
554 upvotes
wahabk1234 wrote:
Jul 30th, 2019 1:49 pm
Thanks for the info, the SP is cheaper for me. You seem like you know what you are talking about, do you think this price will fall in a couple months?
I'm certainly no expert but have done a lot of research and have some personal experience with quite a few NVMe and SATA drives. As for pricing? I don't know. Watching the trends over the past six months and the prognosticators in the tech and finance fields I would certainly think so (specially around Black Friday) but as the Thailand floods back in 2011 and bitcoin rush in 2017 taught us all, anything can happen. Buy when you're comfortable and don't look backwards, I guess ;) .
Oct 18, 2012
143 posts
84 upvotes
Montréal
It appears this (P34A80) use Phison E12 controller+DRAM Cache buffer where XPG s11 Pro use SMI SM2262EN controller+ DRAM Cache buffer.
controller wise, both SSD has DRAM cache, but E12 performances better comparing to SMI 2262EN in most tests.
So, theoretically P34A80 should have betterperformance than XPG S11 pro, but it lacks of heatsink which may results a speed reduction when ssd reaches to certain temp
Aug 19, 2018
38 posts
8 upvotes
I ended up getting WD Black SN750 1 TB during amazon prime deal of the day. But I paid $241.49 all in. Never opened the box yet.
At this point I feel like I should return it and either get the MP510 or this SIlicon Power one... Thoughts?
Nov 22, 2012
160 posts
25 upvotes
Smiling Face With Open Mouth i bought the silicon one was waiting for the adata gammix to get to 160$ but this one get there first! 162$ for me in QC
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
1528 posts
463 upvotes
This looks like a great deal for a great drive! The Gammix S11 Pro doesn't have taxes charged on it and it is 185 bucks with a 15 dollar coupon so the net difference right now is about ten bucks in Ontario if the price for this drive is showing 155 bucks for you . . .

I would probably buy this drive for ten bucks cheaper than the S11 Pro if I was buying all over again but I already have the S11 (for 200 bucks which is the new normal price apparently).
[OP]
Jul 1, 2009
330 posts
554 upvotes
makaheehee wrote:
Jul 30th, 2019 2:40 pm
I ended up getting WD Black SN750 1 TB during amazon prime deal of the day. But I paid $241.49 all in. Never opened the box yet.
At this point I feel like I should return it and either get the MP510 or this SIlicon Power one... Thoughts?
It really does depend on your use case. If you'll be needing long, sustained reads or writes, nothing beats the 970 EVO Plus and similar performing WD Black SN750. Neither drive drops off much in read or write speeds from its beginning peak during relatively long sustained reads/writes. A drive like this Silicon Power will have lower transfer sustained speeds about 10-30 seconds in (still very, very fast, but not peak). This may be important to you in heavy database use cases, heavy NAS use from multiple simultaneous users and other more niche uses, etc.

In practical terms for the average or even heavy desktop users: you'll notice barely any difference, if at all. Games will load about the same, standard video editing will have about the same performance, etc (except when drives are getting full, then the SM2262EN based drives have serious issues). I own a few 970 EVOs and one WD Black as well as some other more budget SSD drives such as this Silicon Power, etc. All are outstanding in most use cases.

TLDR: You won't get anywhere near 50% more speed improvement from the WD Black, but you paid 50% more. That may be a great bargain for what you'll use it for... but most likely not if your use case is typical.
Aug 19, 2018
38 posts
8 upvotes
Wow thank you for the detailed reply.

The drive will be used for gaming and some music production. So probably better bet would be to return the SN750 and to go with with one of the other two. Can almost buy two for the same price =/

That being said, would there be any benefit of the Silicon Power over the Corsair MP510?

Thanks again for the reply.
[OP]
Jul 1, 2009
330 posts
554 upvotes
makaheehee wrote:
Jul 30th, 2019 3:53 pm
Wow thank you for the detailed reply.

The drive will be used for gaming and some music production. So probably better bet would be to return the SN750 and to go with with one of the other two. Can almost buy two for the same price =/

That being said, would there be any benefit of the Silicon Power over the Corsair MP510?

Thanks again for the reply.
No problem, you're welcome. The SP has slightly more storage space (75ish GB) and is less expensive currently, both have the same warranty (5 Year, 1665 TBW for the SP, 1700 TBW for the Corsair) and both come with only paper backed foil heat-spreaders. Corsair is a more known and established "name brand" in the SSD space (SP's been around for decades too, though). Both use identical drives with slightly tweaked firmware differences. The SP is currently Amazon.ca and the Corsair is currently NewEgg at this pricing. That's about it. I'd purchase the Silicon Power for less money and slightly more storage (and, less important, I like Amazon's return policies better), personally. Some like Apple products because they get hypnotized by the pretty apples, however, so that might come in to play in some form, I guess... ;)
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2004
1978 posts
391 upvotes
Richmond, BC
Elrondolio wrote:
Jul 30th, 2019 4:09 pm
No problem, you're welcome. The SP has slightly more storage space (75ish GB) and is less expensive currently, both have the same warranty (5 Year, 1665 TBW for the SP, 1700 TBW for the Corsair) and both come with only paper backed foil heat-spreaders. Corsair is a more known and established "name brand" in the SSD space, but both use identical drives with slightly tweaked firmware differences. The SP is currently Amazon.ca and the Corsair is currently NewEgg. Thats about it. I'd purchase the Silicon Power for less money and slightly more storage (and, less important, I like Amazon's return policies better), personally. Some like Apple products because they get hypnotized by the pretty apples, however, so that might come in to play in some form, I guess... ;)
I mean if you're only gaming and have a typical workload, the 660P is more than enough for anyone (yeah yeah QLC blah blah blah). It suffers the same full-drive-bad-performance problems as the SM but it's $260 for 2TB. It's what I use and I love. That said if you're trying to squeeze every last drop of performance then you shouldn't be looking at these SSDs anyway. Just my two cents.
[OP]
Jul 1, 2009
330 posts
554 upvotes
syn3rgetic wrote:
Jul 30th, 2019 4:16 pm
I mean if you're only gaming and have a typical workload, the 660P is more than enough for anyone (yeah yeah QLC blah blah blah). It suffers the same full-drive-bad-performance problems as the SM but it's $260 for 2TB. It's what I use and I love. That said if you're trying to squeeze every last drop of performance then you shouldn't be looking at these SSDs anyway. Just my two cents.
I hear ya and see some validity in what you're saying. However, I've never met a drive I haven't filled... multiple times through its lifecycle (computer/laptops specifically, not in some other use cases in my home and business). Maybe that makes me atypical but I'd bet otherwise. Due to that fact alone I wouldn't purchase a 660P, P1, etc for my computer/laptop uses. To me, that'd be like buying a blender for a bit less money that slows to a crawl blending my smoothies when I fill the glassware. I'd much prefer to pay nearish or even identical prices for a blender that takes all my fruits and juices and blends them quickly. These are very fast, very capable drives for a pretty effective outlay vs storage vs speed comparisons at a great price.

Saying that: I purchased two cheap 1TB 660P's and put them to use in my Synology 918+ NAS as cache, sonarr-radarr-etc buffer and so on. They certainly have their uses in my home.
Jun 7, 2017
104 posts
88 upvotes
Will this work ok with the Lenovo y540 and y545's that everyone has been snatching up lately?
[OP]
Jul 1, 2009
330 posts
554 upvotes
DavidA511606 wrote:
Jul 30th, 2019 5:40 pm
Will this work ok with the Lenovo y540 and y545's that everyone has been snatching up lately?
Should, yes (I don't have one). Lenovo specs specify m.2 2280 (80mm) NVMe x4 slot which these are designed for.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2013
2336 posts
874 upvotes
Burnaby
I have a 256gb Corsair sata ssd.
Would these style drives be a big perfoemance boost?
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2004
2722 posts
325 upvotes
Montreal
Yazzy88 wrote:
Jul 30th, 2019 2:02 pm
Wondering if its because this item is set as PST exempt, but since Ontario charges HST there is no way to separate it out
It's this.
In QC, PST shows as $0.00
$162.74 taxes in.
An RFDer and his credit card number are soon parted.
Apr 4, 2017
566 posts
309 upvotes
Elrondolio wrote:
Jul 30th, 2019 1:26 pm
The XPG Gammix S11 Pro and ADATA SX8200 Pro (same drive, different heatsink) use the inferior Silicon Motion SM2262EN which tanks when the drive reaches anywhere near full capacity (experienced this personally). See Anandtech's review here and here as well as others, such as the review in the first post. Beyond that, the warranty for this drive is simply outstanding at 5 years or 1665 TBW - very high for this segment (compared to the 640 TBW of the Gammix, etc).

edit: fixed link and text
Thank you for the response.

Debating on whether to return my XPG Gammix S11 Pro and buy this drive instead. I already have it installed.

Tough decision.