Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Silicon Power 1TB NVMe 3,400/3,000MB - HOT at $131.74

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2019 11:25 am
Oct 18, 2016
342 posts
197 upvotes
Those performance numbers put my Intel 660p to shame! Wow.
Jul 2, 2011
168 posts
78 upvotes
Pickering, ON
Elrondolio wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 12:47 pm
While it alternately surpasses and follows the SX8200 Pro depending on what is being tested, overall it may be somewhat slower. However, you wouldn't notice either drive's differences in near all home use cases when it comes to these metrics. What makes the Silicon Power drive superior to the SX8200 Pro, hands down, is it maintains its speed when full - ie: it doesn't tank in speed as the SX8200 Pro does as it runs out of SLC cache. In real use you most definitely feel that particular difference (from personal experience with both drives).
Quick question for you OP. Given these parameters, if you owned both of of these NVMe's, which one would be the better boot drive (i.e. C:) and which one better for data storage (i.e. D:)? I'm thinking that the SX8200 Pro would be fine as a boot drive but the Silicon Power would be much better for data storage. Or am I completely misunderstanding?

Thanks again,

Tom
Feb 10, 2014
646 posts
489 upvotes
Toronto
tom_no.1 wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 6:31 pm
Quick question for you OP. Given these parameters, if you owned both of of these NVMe's, which one would be the better boot drive (i.e. C:) and which one better for data storage (i.e. D:)? I'm thinking that the SX8200 Pro would be fine as a boot drive but the Silicon Power would be much better for data storage. Or am I completely misunderstanding?

Thanks again,

Tom
I would agree with the above. The SX8200 pro has better read/burst speeds. The SP has better consistency on long write runs and TBW.
[OP]
Jul 1, 2009
516 posts
869 upvotes
tom_no.1 wrote:

Thanks again,

Tom
I agree with @Coresu that if you owned both drives, the SX8200 Pro would be the slightly better drive as a Windows drive since it'll most likely not hit the 60%-70% full threshold and thus hit the SLC bottleneck. Before that point, the SX8200 Pro is indeed better in initial read/burst speed. The Silicon Power would indeed make a great game/data drive is it retains most of its fastest read/write speeds even to %100 full... plus its very high terrabytes written warranty.

If you could only have one or the other, I'd certainly pick the Silicon Power as it has no glaring weaknesses compared to the SX8200 Pro, if a touch bit slower at 4k random reads.

Good luck!
[OP]
Jul 1, 2009
516 posts
869 upvotes
Coresu wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 1:17 pm
Yes that is true, but only if the user is writing large amounts of GB`s all the time. I use my PC primarily for gaming, so Im more concerned about the read speeds then the write since really Im writing data only as fast as Steam or Epic etc lets me download which is no where near any of the thresholds above.

Every review of the 8200pro show game load times about 2-3 seconds faster then the SP 1TB drive, and seeing how many say that NVME and SSD game load times are very near identical, those extra few seconds help in every way.
You make some good points: the SX8200 Pro will indeed load games, etc a second or two faster and that can be enjoyable (albeit: not too perceptible in real use). The SM2262EN based drives don't require long, sustained writes to hit their SLC cache issues, however, once the drive is 70%+ full. Even moderate writes will slow this drive down in comparison. I agree with your assessment that it'd be an ideal inexpensive boot drive but as an all-arounder I'd prefer a drive without capacity issues.
[OP]
Jul 1, 2009
516 posts
869 upvotes
makaheehee wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 1:15 pm
Very tempted to get one of these for my pc now....

Question with nvmes. I was thinking of getting an external drive for my Xbox One X and read that SSD's make some decently significant improvements to load times and such, and I know that the Xbox One X is limited by USB 3.0. However, would putting this drive in an external drive enclosure for USB 3.1 be future proofing myself versus getting an external SSD for cheaper?
I also came across an OEM 1TB Toshiba NVME (With lower read / write than this) for $100. Should I just pull the plug on that and save myself ~60 bucks if I will be primarily utilizing it for my Xbox for now anyways?
It certainly couldn't hurt to put one of these SP NVMe drives into an external enclosure if you could find a relatively inexpensive one (such as this $36 Orico from NewEgg here), but you wouldn't realize any near term speed differences on the xbox as its usb 3.0, not 3.1 iirc. Any SATA SSD would be close to as fast under those circumstances. With the SP drive's very high TBW rating, however, you'd be in good hands if you decided to move the drive to a PC, etc in the future. I'd suggest combined cost of both drive and enclosure compared to a relatively cheap SATA SSD should be the main focus in this use case, however.
Jul 2, 2011
168 posts
78 upvotes
Pickering, ON
Elrondolio wrote:
Aug 18th, 2019 5:03 pm
I agree with @Coresu that if you owned both drives, the SX8200 Pro would be the slightly better drive as a Windows drive since it'll most likely not hit the 60%-70% full threshold and thus hit the SLC bottleneck. Before that point, the SX8200 Pro is indeed better in initial read/burst speed. The Silicon Power would indeed make a great game/data drive is it retains most of its fastest read/write speeds even to %100 full... plus its very high terrabytes written warranty.

If you could only have one or the other, I'd certainly pick the Silicon Power as it has no glaring weaknesses compared to the SX8200 Pro, if a touch bit slower at 4k random reads.

Good luck!
Thank you very much Sir! I got a great deal on the SX8200 ($127) and now that I've received this Silicon Power drive as well, that's my plan. I'm really looking forward to this new build. Thanks again!

Tom
Jun 24, 2017
59 posts
27 upvotes
Hmmm I got a good deal on the sx8200 (non-pro) but also bought this. Does the regular sx8200 also have the benefits of faster load times? I might just stick with that if so.

The silicon power doesn't come with heat shield and It'd cost me $20 more. Also I'm not so familiar with the brand. But if it's really a class above hopefully its worth it
May 7, 2011
26 posts
6 upvotes
Calgary
Dudeydudee wrote:
Aug 18th, 2019 11:19 pm
Hmmm I got a good deal on the sx8200 (non-pro) but also bought this. Does the regular sx8200 also have the benefits of faster load times? I might just stick with that if so.

The silicon power doesn't come with heat shield and It'd cost me $20 more. Also I'm not so familiar with the brand. But if it's really a class above hopefully its worth it
Hey guys,
I'm in the same boat as "Dudeydudee". I ordered a SX8200 Non-Pro from Amazon for $139 the other day which hasn't arrived yet, but this drive is looking like it might be a better choice. Most of the comparisons I can find for this drive are against the SX8200 Pro. I have seen people say the the controller on the SX8200 Pro is tuned to basically look better to benchmarking utilities, and may not be any more performant in the long run. Does anyone have any opinions on the SX8200 Non-Pro vs the Silicon Power? Thank you.
[OP]
Jul 1, 2009
516 posts
869 upvotes
Dudeydudee wrote:
Aug 18th, 2019 11:19 pm

Killadelphia wrote:
Aug 19th, 2019 12:34 am
Hey guys,
I'm in the same boat as "Dudeydudee". I ordered a SX8200 Non-Pro from Amazon for $139 the other day which hasn't arrived yet, but this drive is looking like it might be a better choice. Most of the comparisons I can find for this drive are against the SX8200 Pro. I have seen people say the the controller on the SX8200 Pro is tuned to basically look better to benchmarking utilities, and may not be any more performant in the long run. Does anyone have any opinions on the SX8200 Non-Pro vs the Silicon Power? Thank you.
Sorry for the late reply (wife has been sick).

The SX8200 and Gammix S11 are based on the previous gen SM2262 firmware (Pro versions are SM2262EN). Here is Anandtech's SX8200 and Gammix S11 review (both non-Pro versions). In an nutshell, the SX8200 has these basic specs (compare to the original posts specs for the Silicon Power):

Sequential Read 3150 MB/s, write 1700 MB/s
5 year, 640 TBW warranty

The key takeaway of the SX8200 Pro review:
The SM2262EN is well-tuned to turn in stellar scores on many other benchmarks, and it is near the top of the charts for almost all of our synthetic benchmarks. However, it is clear that Silicon Motion is making some serious tradeoffs to attain these scores. The SM2262EN's performance degrades severely when the drive is full, and this effect seems to be even stronger than for the SM2262 drives we've tested. Silicon Motion has developed the fastest SLC write cache currently available, but once it's full, the situation isn't pretty.
See both reviews for details. The SX8200 may not be as fast in almost all areas (4k random reads, etc specifically) but it doesn't have the SX8200 Pro's biggest weakness, as stated above, either. The Silicon Power of this thread would be the better drive all around than either the SX8200 or Pro variant but none of these are bad drives by any stretch.

Good luck!
Jun 24, 2017
59 posts
27 upvotes
Thanks so much for your helpful reply! I think I'll go with the Silicon Power since it seems better all around and is only marginally more expensive. Cheers and hope ur wife gets well soon!

Elrondolio wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 11:15 pm
Sorry for the late reply (wife has been sick).

The SX8200 and Gammix S11 are based on the previous gen SM2262 firmware (Pro versions are SM2262EN). Here is Anandtech's SX8200 and Gammix S11 review (both non-Pro versions). In an nutshell, the SX8200 has these basic specs (compare to the original posts specs for the Silicon Power):

Sequential Read 3150 MB/s, write 1700 MB/s
5 year, 640 TBW warranty

The key takeaway of the SX8200 Pro review:

See both reviews for details. The SX8200 may not be as fast in almost all areas (4k random reads, etc specifically) but it doesn't have the SX8200 Pro's biggest weakness, as stated above, either. The Silicon Power of this thread would be the better drive all around than either the SX8200 or Pro variant but none of these are bad drives by any stretch.

Good luck!
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3533 posts
824 upvotes
1. Hey, can you guys post your idle / working temps. Would love to see if the XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro's heatsink makes a 10C difference. Word on the street say yes.

2. Here goes the debate. If the nvme drive idles at 40C (with heatstink) vs 50C (without), wouldn't the internal of the PC contain the same amount of heat? Just that the heatsink moves the heat away from the drive quicker. ie. the amount of heat that is exhausted out of the case is the same? I think so but many others do not. Go.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13998 posts
4161 upvotes
Montreal
tom_no.1 wrote:
I'm thinking that the SX8200 Pro would be fine as a boot drive but the Silicon Power would be much better for data storage. Or am I completely misunderstanding?
Agreed, and that's how I'd use them.
Official Response from Dollarama Management:

Dollarama has a no exchange/no refund policy, and as a result, all sales are final. This information can be found on the screen of each check-out/point-of-sale in our stores as well as on each receipt.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2005
1244 posts
903 upvotes
bowmah wrote:
Aug 21st, 2019 2:28 am
1. Hey, can you guys post your idle / working temps. Would love to see if the XPG GAMMIX S11 Pro's heatsink makes a 10C difference. Word on the street say yes.

2. Here goes the debate. If the nvme drive idles at 40C (with heatstink) vs 50C (without), wouldn't the internal of the PC contain the same amount of heat? Just that the heatsink moves the heat away from the drive quicker. ie. the amount of heat that is exhausted out of the case is the same? I think so but many others do not. Go.
It seems like you are not considering the fact that the drive generates it's own heat.