• Sep 2nd, 2019 11:25 am
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
3806 posts
1525 upvotes
Toronto
Elrondolio wrote:
Jul 30th, 2019 4:09 pm
No problem, you're welcome. The SP has slightly more storage space (75ish GB) and is less expensive currently, both have the same warranty (5 Year, 1665 TBW for the SP, 1700 TBW for the Corsair) and both come with only paper backed foil heat-spreaders. Corsair is a more known and established "name brand" in the SSD space (SP's been around for decades too, though). Both use identical drives with slightly tweaked firmware differences. The SP is currently Amazon.ca and the Corsair is currently NewEgg at this pricing. That's about it. I'd purchase the Silicon Power for less money and slightly more storage (and, less important, I like Amazon's return policies better), personally. Some like Apple products because they get hypnotized by the pretty apples, however, so that might come in to play in some form, I guess... ;)
I know I missed the current batch of deals but I'm eye-balling these two drives because they seem to be the best performing budget drives that don't use a SM2262EN. My main question at this point is which would be a better brand in terms of honoring their own warranties. As of now the SP only went up $15, so I'm leaning that way but I don't want to get stuck with a lemon 6 months from now. It is really hard to find information on RMA experiences with them since they are a smaller company.
[OP]
Jul 1, 2009
330 posts
569 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote:
Aug 25th, 2019 6:55 pm
I know I missed the current batch of deals but I'm eye-balling these two drives because they seem to be the best performing budget drives that don't use a SM2262EN. My main question at this point is which would be a better brand in terms of honoring their own warranties. As of now the SP only went up $15, so I'm leaning that way but I don't want to get stuck with a lemon 6 months from now. It is really hard to find information on RMA experiences with them since they are a smaller company.
I don't have any experience using the RMA process at either Silicon Power or Corsair. Anecdotally: I have purchased many USB drives from both over a few decades and a few SSD drives from both in the past few years. As stated, I have never had to RMA any of them. Tiniest sample size you can get but thats my experience. A not insignificant percentage of every single drive on earth fails at some point, however, due to their inherent nature so I more than understand you seeking knowledge in this regard.

I'd surmise that since you can't find much of any information on the RMA experience at Silicon Power on the web: thats a good thing. People who have good experiences with companies don't post online near as much as those who have bad experiences... since there isn't a lot out there, that'd point to mostly satisfaction, right? Just an educated guess, of course.

Here is the RMA page at Silicon Power if it is of any help:

https://www.silicon-power.com/web/RMA_service.php

Good luck!
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1414 posts
590 upvotes
Calgary
I was considering the Crucial P1 or Intel 660p for my Dell Latitude 5290 2-in-1, but now might spend the extra for this Silicon Power drive. Thanks OP!
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
3806 posts
1525 upvotes
Toronto
Elrondolio wrote:
Aug 26th, 2019 4:39 am
I don't have any experience using the RMA process at either Silicon Power or Corsair. Anecdotally: I have purchased many USB drives from both over a few decades and a few SSD drives from both in the past few years. As stated, I have never had to RMA any of them. Tiniest sample size you can get but thats my experience. A not insignificant percentage of every single drive on earth fails at some point, however, due to their inherent nature so I more than understand you seeking knowledge in this regard.

I'd surmise that since you can't find much of any information on the RMA experience at Silicon Power on the web: thats a good thing. People who have good experiences with companies don't post online near as much as those who have bad experiences... since there isn't a lot out there, that'd point to mostly satisfaction, right? Just an educated guess, of course.

Here is the RMA page at Silicon Power if it is of any help:

https://www.silicon-power.com/web/RMA_service.php

Good luck!
Ya it's tricky. I've added the Patriot VPN100 to my list since it is also an E12 and the same price as the silicon power atm. From my basic googling, they seem to have better anecdotal rma experience than corsair lol. The tricky part about silicon power is because they're a smaller company, by nature rma data will be sparse. People tend to not rma USB keys as they're viewed as disposable but this is not a $10-20 purchase.

Not sure if I'm a fan of the giant heatsink atm but I have the clearance for it so it's not a deal breaker. I read people saying heatsinks are bad for nand but that sounds like a load of horse**** to me considering the heatsink won't lower the temps below the good threshold anyways. It's also going to be sitting between my video card and my CPU so not exactly a cool spot in the system, my mobo did include a heatsink as well though. That said it's a single sided pcb vs the silicon power being dual sided so I won't be trapping heat between the drive and the mobo so that's a plus for the Patriot drive.
[OP]
Jul 1, 2009
330 posts
569 upvotes
Updated original post with hot new sale price of $131.74. Excellent buy at this price.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2007
2998 posts
1245 upvotes
Can you trust your data to these no name drives? I bought a cheapo no name ssd from Amazon before and it died within 3 months. Any experience with this brand?
Jul 2, 2011
163 posts
75 upvotes
Pickering, ON
Since when was Silicon Power a "no name brand"?

Tom
[OP]
Jul 1, 2009
330 posts
569 upvotes
anhtuan wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2019 10:47 am
Can you trust your data to these no name drives? I bought a cheapo no name ssd from Amazon before and it died within 3 months. Any experience with this brand?
Silicon Power isn't no-name but it isn't as known as many other brands either. Regardless of brand or labelling: its the firmware, chips and board design that matter on SSD drives. This particular drive is basically an OEM manufactured drive that has very highly regarded firmware and chips as stated in the original post. So, yes, you can "trust" this is a high quality drive.

As always, however: there is a 1-2% failure rate of ALL new mechanical drives and just under that for solid state drives, regardless of brand or manufacturer... that's just the inherent quality of manufacturing these types of components. So a standard 321 backup plan should always be in place for any and all storage solutions. If it were to fail this drive has class leading TBW included in its excellent 5 year warranty.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10708 posts
10811 upvotes
tom_no.1 wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2019 10:57 am
Since when was Silicon Power a "no name brand"?

Tom
It's not no-name, it's huddled in the crowd of mediocre reputable brands.

Bill
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3205 posts
2277 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks. Upvoted just for OP's detailed answer and helpful posts in this thread, very impressive. Smiling Face With Open Mouth