Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

SKIL 91030 Carbide Router Bit Set, 30-Piece | $94.72 (Reg $150) | Prime Free Shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2023 2:32 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2006
2956 posts
24054 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] SKIL 91030 Carbide Router Bit Set, 30-Piece | $94.72 (Reg $150) | Prime Free Shipping

8 in stock
Well reviewed

About this item
30-piece carbide router bit set
Variety of popular cutting profiles
Solid wood felt lined case
Last edited by kingsford on Feb 27th, 2023 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
9 replies
Aug 6, 2012
72 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
Been looking for a router for home. Do I need a table to mount it on? Or can you use a router freehand for so simple things like cabinet doors and diy projects?
Dec 4, 2017
448 posts
614 upvotes
Whitby
rfdhearn wrote: Been looking for a router for home. Do I need a table to mount it on? Or can you use a router freehand for so simple things like cabinet doors and diy projects?
Compact routers are handy for simple things. If that's your first router, the compact one should be fine. I recommend to avoid the Ryobi one, it's good but in my experience, it has issues to keep the bit in the exact same position.
Plunge routers will give you much more flexibility, they are are usually much more powerful and you can use it for a long period of times (if required).
Plunge router can be attached to table routers, it's essential when precision is required as you can easily control depth, distance from border, ...
I have both, I would recommend to go with plunge router first for 3 reasons: it's more flexible, better dust control and price point is similar.
Aug 6, 2012
72 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
MrMello wrote: Compact routers are handy for simple things. If that's your first router, the compact one should be fine. I recommend to avoid the Ryobi one, it's good but in my experience, it has issues to keep the bit in the exact same position.
Plunge routers will give you much more flexibility, they are are usually much more powerful and you can use it for a long period of times (if required).
Plunge router can be attached to table routers, it's essential when precision is required as you can easily control depth, distance from border, ...
I have both, I would recommend to go with plunge router first for 3 reasons: it's more flexible, better dust control and price point is similar.
Thanks for the info!

So does a plunge router need to be fixed to a table in order to use it? Or can you use it freehand?
Dec 4, 2017
448 posts
614 upvotes
Whitby
rfdhearn wrote: Thanks for the info!

So does a plunge router need to be fixed to a table in order to use it? Or can you use it freehand?
They don't need to. Some of them come with the 2 options, fixed and plunge (check the Skil one on amazon). So I keep the fixed base attached to a DIY router table and the other one I use when required, I just switch the main body (the router itself) to the the base that I need.
Aug 6, 2012
72 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto
MrMello wrote: They don't need to. Some of them come with the 2 options, fixed and plunge (check the Skil one on amazon). So I keep the fixed base attached to a DIY router table and the other one I use when required, I just switch the main body (the router itself) to the the base that I need.
Oh I get it now. That 14amp Skil has the two different bases depending on how you want to use it. Looks like it's $208 right now, I'll keep and eye on it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)