• Sep 27th, 2018 8:52 pm
[OP]
Aug 3, 2010
242 posts
507 upvotes
North York

[Amazon.ca] Sleeping Bag, 5°C to 12°C - $19.94

unnamed.jpg

Seems like a pretty good deal with the 50% off coupon code: 3X24DN2C (scroll down to "Special offers and product promotions"). It's reviewed quite well - 4.2/5 and scored great on Fakespot/ReviewMeta. Perfect for fall weather.

Note: the $2.00 coupon displayed under the price did not stack for me.

Enjoy!
28 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2011
4174 posts
9949 upvotes
Quebec
Got one
Thx
In my opinion, every intervention in RFD deserve a "thanks". Thanks given until now: more than 100,000

Giving "Likes" gives cancer.... Don't do it!!!!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
9125 posts
2105 upvotes
Vancouver
Was about to buy it but one review complains it’s small and he’s a 5 foot 5 person. This thing claims it’s good for over 6 foot people. I’ll pass
Autocorrect sucks
Jan 22, 2017
144 posts
53 upvotes
Thanks OP.

How do I unclip the $3 off coupon, anyone?
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2005
2112 posts
514 upvotes
Scarborough
Deal is dead.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
2735 posts
458 upvotes
Just ordered 4. Have to put the coupon in and it works
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4942 posts
3537 upvotes
So what happens when temperature drops below 5C?
[OP]
Aug 3, 2010
242 posts
507 upvotes
North York
xt21 wrote: Deal is dead.
Still on for me, don't forget to apply the coupon code.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15172 posts
6193 upvotes
WL1980 wrote: So what happens when temperature drops below 5C?
You die.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Jan 20, 2009
32 posts
11 upvotes
Burnaby
Thanks OP... purchased
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21069 posts
3764 upvotes
YUL
I don't know if I'd trust a $19 sleeping bag at close to freezing temperatures. Just sayin
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5747 posts
7331 upvotes
Remember our body has thickness. Once you go into the bag, you immediately lose the width of the bag by that thickness amount. In my case of about 6-inch thickness, the width of the bag immediately decreases to 27.5-inch even on the large size. I don't think I will feel comfortable with only have 27.5-inch widths. The length should be fine for all people. Besides, many people complain the bag is not warm enough.
Aug 1, 2013
443 posts
365 upvotes
The Lower Mainland
GangStarr wrote: Was about to buy it but one review complains it’s small and he’s a 5 foot 5 person. This thing claims it’s good for over 6 foot people. I’ll pass
It comes in medium and large
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3456 posts
422 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
WL1980 wrote: So what happens when temperature drops below 5C?
It's up to a few key factors.

From Hotcore (a sleeping bag brand):
There are no North American standardized temperature testing criteria for sleeping bags. Most manufacturers agree that temperature ratings are merely a starting point for the discussion of comfort.

Temperature ratings are not absolutes; there are many factors contributing to how warm a person sleeps. Be realistic with your expectations and err on the side of caution regarding temperature ratings.

Insulation– Synthetic and down insulations are great, but they are only designed to trap warm air from your body and slow the movement of air. It is this trapped air that insulates you and helps keep you warm. It is important to remember that sleeping bags are not heaters; if you are cold when you get into a sleeping bag, chances are you will remain that way. Follow the tips provided to improve your chances of a warm night’s sleep.

Metabolism– Consider age, fitness level, body size, warm or cold sleeper, male or female (females generally are colder sleepers). Also consider your physical condition upon retiring – if you are dead tired and out of energy you are much more likely to be cold during the night.

Equipment– Temperature ratings assume the use of a proper sleeping pad (this insulates below you), appropriate tent for the season and outside conditions, and proper use of the sleeping bag. Discuss this equipment with your outdoor retailer. If you are a cold sleeper consider buying a sleeping bag that is warmer and form fitting to your body.
When I (a male) went trekking in Northern Europe, I got sweaty during the day and faced physical exhaustion, so I changed into separate (and non-sweaked-soaked) sleepwear at night. Night temperatures in that area usually went down to around 3-4 degrees Celsius, so I wore two top layers (long t-shirt + fleece jacket), a pair of sweatpants + briefs, a clean pair of wool socks, and had an additional down vest sitting nearby in case it got too cold in the middle of the night. I also cinched the top of my sleeping bag around my neck to keep my body heat inside. Our tent's fly was designed to cover all sides of the tent to block out wind and rain. I also slept in close proximity with another male (it was a two-person tent). The sleeping bag rested on an inflatable sleeping pad with an R-value of 3.4. With all of these preparations my body (from neck down) was warm for most of the trip, through heavy rain and high winds.

From American outdoor equipment retailer REI:
Many sleeping bags are rated for temperature by an independent testing protocol, the European Norm (EN) 13537. Each bag gets two ratings: a Comfort rating and Lower limit rating. The Comfort rating is the lowest temperature at which the bag will keep the average woman (or "cold sleeper") comfortable, and the Lower Limit rating is the lowest temperature at which the bag will keep an average man (or “warm sleeper”) comfortable. Everyone's body and sleep comfort is different, so EN Ratings are merely a guideline to help you compare products.
As a rule of thumb, a sleeping bag's comfort rating is 10 degrees higher than its lower limit. If 5 degrees is the comfort rating, then the lower limit of the bag should be -5 degrees. You won't freeze to death at -5 degrees, but you won't be comfortable either. The manufacturer hasn't specified what their temperature rating represents, so I'm more inclined to believe that the bag's lower level is 5 degrees...

My sleeping bag (the Hotcore T-200) was given a temperature rating of -10 degrees by the brand (no comfort rating or lower limit given), but in reality it was already struggling during a few days of the trek (one night the temp dropped to 1 degree). It really didn't matter at that point how many more layers I wore, because whatever heat that escaped my body almost immediately escaped the bag, and the heat wasn't coming back. Given the price of the bag in this deal, I would not rely on it to keep me warm in fall season Ontario, and would be sure to dress in more layers for summer season Ontario.
Last edited by loserga on Sep 26th, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jan 20, 2009
32 posts
11 upvotes
Burnaby
The large one came to $20.49
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2820 posts
1484 upvotes
B.C.
The $20 Walmart sleeping bag (their store brand Ozark Trail) is pretty good incase anyone doesn't feel like amazon.
Jul 23, 2011
565 posts
357 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Bought 3 last time they were on sale for the kids. The stitching on 2 of the 3 is already coming undone. Spend as little more for better quality.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
2302 posts
2994 upvotes
Toronto
Ive had many sleeping bags. From woods to northface rated to -20. I went winter camping with it and at night got to -15, the north face didnt keep me warm. the warmest and the most comfortable sleeping bag is a down sleeping bag from rei. From now on, i will only buy a down sleeping bag. When compressed it is about the size if a thermos