Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Small spaces? - $16.98 Salton 6 Cup Automatic Rice Cooker with Bonus Food Steaming Basket, Measuring Cup & Spatula

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2021 11:27 pm
Deal Guru
Oct 21, 2015
12851 posts
135813 upvotes
888888 upvotes
They usually go on sale at Superstore or Saveonfoods for $10.
I purchased a red one in February.
Costco West: BC, AB, SK & MB
Costco East: ON, Québec , NB, NS & PEI
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2004
1818 posts
1731 upvotes
Rice cookers stop cooking when the water runs out, in that the bottom of the bowl can only be so hot when there is water in the bottom of the pot.

I use a rice cooker at my desk for rice / chili / soups / mr noodles / etc ... handy to have something small to warm up food.
Dec 29, 2008
588 posts
892 upvotes
Mississauga
oicthat2013 wrote: can you explain how you cook the rice so that it doesn't burn at the bottom? maybe it depends on what type of grain you use. based on the comments above, many people criticize this cooker because it burns rice. or they're just snobs
so far i've only used botan calrose rice and basmati rice in the cooker, neither has burned bottoms. At most, they turn a little yellow and crispy (rarely). Perhaps it's a luck of the draw thing. In the end it depends on the temperature probe in the cooker.
Jun 17, 2018
767 posts
1440 upvotes
I got one recently. I have used it to make noodles. It gets the job done. Note that it takes almost 10 mins to get the water to a boil. Stove top will be faster in case you are in a hurry. Heat output is not adjustable, like most rice cookers. Two particularly important points to keep in mind before getting this:

The cup measure used by rice cookers (typically around 150 mL) is much smaller than the standard measuring cup (~ 235 mL) used in the kitchen. On the other hand, this is definitely big enough to make an amount of rice that is generous for one person, and can probably make enough rice for a meal for two.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup_(unit)

This is a very lightweight device. The cooking bowl is almost feather light. I suspect that it will get damaged if it is dropped. It may not last very long. I needed a short term solution and the price is appropriate for that. If long term use is what you have in mind, get something better. There are options even at this small size range.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)