• Sep 15th, 2020 9:48 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2015
2061 posts
1344 upvotes
Montreal, QC

[Amazon.ca] Smith Optics Session MIPS Men's Cycling Helmet $149.98

I was looking for a good quality bike helmet today and randomly came upon that one. I did some research and it's USD$160 on Smith's US website. This is a high quality helmet and can't be compared to all these $50 (or less) helmets you can find on Amazon (I currently have one of those, it's fine but quality is very average and it's self imploding). Size small and large are in stock @ Amazon (for black color) at listed price, no medium size it seems. Reviews on Smith US are very good.
Happy Koodo Public Mobile customer :-)
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5227 posts
1922 upvotes
Debtario
Looks good, but I'll have to do my homework since I'm not familiar with Smith - thought they were a sunglasses company. Seen some Giro and Oakley deals in previous months, but passed due to sizing uncertainty.

I am looking around for a MIPS helmet though, preferably in bright green or orange for visibility. I currently use a Bell Costco helmet and while it;s comfortable, I can see it sliding off during a side or back impact, the coverage doesn't look too promising.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Oct 1, 2006
53 posts
65 upvotes
I would not buy a helmet based solely on price or discount. Go into a shop and try it on for fit before you buy. there are good helmets at all price points, but they are useless unless the fit is good and the straps are fitted correctly. I see lots of people with helmets tilted back for comfort and fitted with loose straps that will not function well in a crash.

Also the type of riding you do will also impact the helmet that you may wish to buy - if you ride MTB downhill - full face protection and body armour may be a something that you or your kids may want. I recently had a friend that crashed and broke her jaw on a downhill run...she's riding full face now.

I'm a XC rider and love my non MIPS Smith helmet, but lot of other helmets that I tried did not fit well and hurt my head after 1-2 hours

here is article from MEC about buying a helmet - https://www.mec.ca/en/explore/how-to-ch ... ing-helmet
Dec 16, 2018
161 posts
393 upvotes
Purchased this helmet at the beginning of the riding season full price. After hundreds of hours of use its a great helmet (for my head). Very comfortable and adjustable. I like how the padding comes out so you can wash it. I got a matte color and it looks great.

Highly recommended.
There are people so damn poor all they have is their money.