• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2020 11:52 am
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 14, 2013
33 posts
271 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Sony NW-A105 Walkman A Series $378

Dont know if this warm enough but i bought one and i cant find anywhere for this price $100 off right now, mine $396 shipped to Winnipeg,

Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/Sony-NW-A105-Walk ... B082PMB7BQ
Last edited by TomRFD on Dec 2nd, 2020 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added Amazon
64 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2006
1326 posts
668 upvotes
Didn't know music players still existed, thought everyone just listened to their phones by now.
[OP]
Aug 14, 2013
33 posts
271 upvotes
Dam i have been eye on this on amazon and its been $499, last week it did came down to $378 but shipping in jan 20th, its $23 cheaper than amazon anyways
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2011
1539 posts
3384 upvotes
Isn't it cheaper to buy a phone instead?
Nov 1, 2016
60 posts
56 upvotes
strangerbynight2 wrote: Dont know if this warm enough but i bought one and i cant find anywhere for this price $100 off right now, mine $396 shipped to Winnipeg,

Looks like a good device. However won't play 24/96 or 24/192 from tidal. Even my phone does that. That's a big drawback for me. I guess if you have a "large" DSD library it might be useful. I italicized large because there really isn't much of interest to most people
Sep 7, 2006
962 posts
647 upvotes
jetertmac wrote: Isn't it cheaper to buy a phone instead?
You're paying for the hardware. High end DACs and upscalers which you'll barely ever get in phones. This is a niche product meant for enthusiasts
Dec 20, 2018
304 posts
451 upvotes
damnu wrote: Lol, this author failed at the tittle. Definitely not Sony's first android walkman.
I agree. The tittle is a failure.

A used LG phone may be an alternative worth consideration.
May 27, 2015
161 posts
485 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Siinvestor wrote: Looks like a good device. However won't play 24/96 or 24/192 from tidal. Even my phone does that. That's a big drawback for me. I guess if you have a "large" DSD library it might be useful. I italicized large because there really isn't much of interest to most people
I own one and it supports hires streaming / download for Tidal and Amazon Music HD. There have been numerous firmware updates to upgrade its functionality.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4630 posts
2733 upvotes
Yes but having a dedicated music player is a different experience some people are willing to pay an extra premium for. Also some phones have garbage DACs, I remember my old Samsung S2 died, i bought a S2X and it was terrible, huge difference. HTC phones had great DACs with enough power to drive headphones well too.

The worst is enjoying your music then suddenly someone calls to ask if you need air duct cleaning. Also phones, especially Android have quirks and app crashes. A CD player doesn't do that, record player or network streamers.
May 27, 2015
161 posts
485 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The only phones with comparible sound quality would be LG V series that employ a quad DAC.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
9669 posts
1052 upvotes
I have an old Cowon S9 player that I use with my IEMs. It looks like shit but the battery is still good and works well.

Tempted to upgrade...
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2773 posts
5483 upvotes
Not very knowledgeable about DAPs but I always thought that at around this price these Japanese DAPs had balanced outputs.
Dec 13, 2012
805 posts
556 upvotes
TORONTO
Don't have one, but according to that Gizmodo review, the battery isn't that good:
Out of all the NW-A105’s shortcomings, none is more annoying than its battery life. Perhaps it’s because I’m used to smartphones, but the new Walkman’s battery life is just too short. The main problem is the combo between Android and the wifi connection. Case in point: Just leaving the Walkman idle overnight (with the wifi connection activated but without using the device) consumes between 30-40% of its battery. I only activated notifications on two applications (Gmail and Telegram), and I barely received any messages overnight.

This problem has been partially solved by a new firmware update (the Walkman now consumes less battery when it’s idle), but the battery still doesn’t last long.
Akizuki wrote: For those that have this, what is the battery life on it?
Jun 28, 2020
88 posts
82 upvotes
I bought a NW-A55 from bhphotovideo for $60 off during the BF. It's still being back-ordered. 45hrs long battery.
All the way from +62
Sep 8, 2013
122 posts
33 upvotes
the 'Peg
coztex wrote: I bought a NW-A55 from bhphotovideo for $60 off during the BF. It's still being back-ordered. 45hrs long battery.
Damn that is an awesome deal. It's a great unit with excellent battery life. I put a 128gb card in there and loaded it up with my ripped music. I got mine while vacationing in Japan