Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Sony WH1000XM3 Noise Canceling Headphones Black - $402.18

Nov 26, 2013
516 posts
328 upvotes
Winnipeg
Awesome sounding headphones but the touch controls suck in the cold. For that reason I went with the QC35's over this.
Jun 15, 2017
96 posts
46 upvotes
lightmeup wrote:
May 16th, 2019 10:56 am
amazon has better return policy. headset is not returnable to bestbuy once opened
Yeah that's the answer I got at my local bestbuy. They said opened box earphones all types (in ear/on ear and over ear) are not returnable due to "hygiene" issue.
Nov 26, 2013
516 posts
328 upvotes
Winnipeg
acepoker999 wrote:
May 16th, 2019 11:04 am
Yeah that's the answer I got at my local bestbuy. They said opened box earphones all types (in ear/on ear and over ear) are not returnable due to "hygiene" issue.
You may not be, but a lot of people are disgusting.
Oct 12, 2012
676 posts
796 upvotes
Just a PSA for those who are considering this.

I've owned the Bose QC35 II since October 2017. I heard all the ranting and raving about the WH-1000XM3 and decided to get a pair and see if it was worth the hype.

I ended up returning the Sony pair and keeping the Bose. Here's why:

-Pro: the WH1000XM3 sound much better and have better ANC (I could not hear the Skytrain at all while wearing them on board, can hear it a bit with the Bose)
-Pro: they have a bunch of different customizable equalizers in the Sony app, Bose doesn't have this.
-Con: the cold weather touch sensitivity issue (not a problem in Vancouver lol)
-Con: it's bulkier and heavier than the Bose. After using the Sony for 3 weeks and going back to the Bose, I was shocked by how light and comfortable the Bose are in comparison... But I guess the size is needed to make them sound better and have better ANC.
-Con: can only connect to 1 Bluetooth device at a time. I like having my Bose connected to my laptop and phone at the same time while at work, without having to disconnect the BT to quickly listen to something on my laptop.
-Con: it's a lot harder to tell if they are powered on or not compared to the Bose. Bose has a switch on the side and a quick glance at the side tells me if it's on or not, and I rarely ever accidentally leave them on. The Sony has a power button that you need to hold to turn it on, and if it's on there is a slowly blinking blue light beside it. It's a lot easier to accidentally leave it on and let the power drain overnight because you don't want to wait 10 seconds to see if the power light is still blinking. This was the biggest dealbreaker for me, as I often found myself accidentally leaving it on.

So although the Sony's sound better and have better ANC, user experience is still important to me and I hated constantly having these left powered on. I'll take the slight decrease in sound quality for a better UX.
Last edited by cursayer on May 16th, 2019 11:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jun 15, 2017
96 posts
46 upvotes
ReaperEXE wrote:
May 16th, 2019 11:05 am
You may not be, but a lot of people are disgusting.
They could swap out the pads and/or disenfect them
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3375 posts
774 upvotes
Home
No one's concerned with the cold temperature issue? Isn't it critical for outdoor headphones? In Canada?
Koodo $40 6GB
Jan 9, 2014
401 posts
291 upvotes
Regina
beneran89 wrote:
May 16th, 2019 10:55 am
In regards to the touch controls, was this in cold weather or room temperature?
Room temperature.

I'm not a fan personally. At almost full retail price I think one is better off waiting for a few months and buying the 1000XM4 for $450.

Refurb QC35 for $250 was a much better deal now that I've done some thinking.
Nov 26, 2013
516 posts
328 upvotes
Winnipeg
acepoker999 wrote:
May 16th, 2019 11:11 am
Not sure why a retailer would do that when they'd have the cost (labour, ear pads, or both) of refurbishment, and then they'd have to sell at a discount anyway because it's 'used' and not even manufacturer refurbished. Any profit margin would be gone. A lot of manufacturers won't even accept an RMA for headphones, but will funnily enough have a return policy when you buy from them direct.
Oct 12, 2012
676 posts
796 upvotes
AnujS699 wrote:
May 16th, 2019 11:17 am
Room temperature.

I'm not a fan personally. At almost full retail price I think one is better off waiting for a few months and buying the 1000XM4 for $450.

Refurb QC35 for $250 was a much better deal now that I've done some thinking.
If you can get the QC35 for $250, it's a no brainer. I don't see these being worth the $450 price tag given the big cons relative to the QC35, but YMMV.
Jan 9, 2014
401 posts
291 upvotes
Regina
acepoker999 wrote:
May 16th, 2019 11:11 am
They won't resell used headphones as brand new. They come sealed. Used ones will be sold as refurbished
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2002
4570 posts
982 upvotes
Vancouver
go the warehouse section of amazon and get it for 374. Those are most likely new in box with box just slightly damaged
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2010
1763 posts
349 upvotes
One day I want to be enough of a baller to spend $400 on headphones. Until then, I will stick to my $60 Cowin headphones.
Jun 15, 2011
39157 posts
5746 upvotes
King City
TomRFD wrote:
May 16th, 2019 10:51 am
Ooo boy it's tempting at that price.
You missed this deal then! :(

100-off-purchase-399-when-you-trade-you ... #p30652326

I stand corrected. It was $349 + taxes for these Sony headphones and not less than that.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
2 posts
Bought these at full price, fantastic headphones. Felt comfier (to me) than QC35's, excellent ANC and sound quality.

I work on freight trains so I'm gone for 30+ hrs each trip, these do a great job at cancelling cab noise for the 8-12 hoursI'm on duty. A round trip, including listening to music at my Away from Home terminal, and I can still go over a week on one charge with these things.