[OP]
Sep 13, 2006
65 posts
224 upvotes
Etobicoke

[amazon.ca/the source.ca]Amazon Fire HD 8 (newest edition) $89.99

Deal Link:
Price:
The deal is live now on Amazon.ca and the source.ca. Regular price is $109. Sale is $89.99

Extra 1% off with rakuten @ the source and @amazon.ca

It's the first time the newest version will be on sale. The fire HD 8 was just released the last couple of months looks to be a good deal if you are looking for an inexpensive tablet...i.e) for kids, home automation tablet with actiontiles

It's loaded with amazon software and no google play. There is a bunch of sites online which explain ways to sideload the google play
https://liliputing.com/2020/06/how-to-i ... -2020.html
Last edited by mikea on Jul 16th, 2020 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
78 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
2603 posts
504 upvotes
Is there going to be a new fire 10 or just fire 8?
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
2422 posts
865 upvotes
lethbridge alberta
mtlboy wrote: Is there going to be a new fire 10 or just fire 8?
We just got the latest 10 last fall. It has a USB-C power cable.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1409 posts
1558 upvotes
Pros: Newer version has USB-C, more RAM, faster processor, better speakers? and android pie.
Cons: Cannot remove bloatware - probably won't be able to due to OS pie locked down tight.
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2015
1637 posts
929 upvotes
NOYFB
Based on the info I gathered on feedback this tablet still gets really laggy after a period of time.

You do have ways to get around it but I wish it was > 2GB RAM
plz don't touch my signature.

don't make me less of a human just cause i don't share your "idiotologies".

👮‍♂️👮‍♀️lives matter
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2012
2837 posts
1010 upvotes
Saskatoon
Before you buy this piece of ... technology.
Screen is not high end or good quality by any means
Camera is very low performance
It is slow, and gets slower with every update
You will need to buy memory card, add it your expenses
Can’t access google play store
These are from previous A. warehouse tablets, I don’t think this one gonna be any better.
And forgot to add, it is tailored in a way to get you hooked on their services.
No need to type thank you; upvote=thanks.
Buffett, investors are focusing “not on what an asset will produce but rather on what the next fellow will pay for it.”

“Because gold is honest money it is disliked by dishonest men.” – R. Paul
[OP]
Sep 13, 2006
65 posts
224 upvotes
Etobicoke
If you are into home automation, lots of peeps have been using the fire 8 as a hub (with actiontiles and smartthings) since it's an inexpensive tablet that can sit on the wall and display information. I'm trying to home automate an old alarm system and I need a tablet to become a hub to replace the panel. It can also act as a media room tablet too...if you are so lucky to have a media room.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
1933 posts
1122 upvotes
Laval
ukrainiandude wrote: Before you buy this piece of ... technology.
Can’t access google play store => Yes you can. There are guides to do it
These are from previous A. warehouse tablets, I don’t think this one gonna be any better.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2012
2837 posts
1010 upvotes
Saskatoon
mtlmonk wrote:
Unfortunately they don’t always work exactly the same on a Fire.
Buffett, investors are focusing “not on what an asset will produce but rather on what the next fellow will pay for it.”

Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
2422 posts
865 upvotes
lethbridge alberta
ukrainiandude wrote: Unfortunately they don’t always work exactly the same on a Fire.
???
Jan 14, 2008
256 posts
119 upvotes
I think we can remove the idea that you can't access Google play on these devices. You can and you've been able to for awhile and it's super easy.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
1933 posts
1122 upvotes
Laval
Perfect for kids to use matched with a Amazon Freetime subscription...thousands of apps/books/videos no ads fitting your child's age
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1765 posts
2484 upvotes
VANCOUVER
mikea wrote: If you are into home automation, lots of peeps have been using the fire 8 as a hub (with actiontiles and smartthings) since it's an inexpensive tablet that can sit on the wall and display information. I'm trying to home automate an old alarm system and I need a tablet to become a hub to replace the panel. It can also act as a media room tablet too...if you are so lucky to have a media room.
Exactly this!

People want the performance $1000 iPad pro. It's a $89 tablet so get your expectations in line.

Show me another tablet remotely close to this price. Heck, I was going to build a home automation hub like the one you suggested and I couldn't even buy the official raspberry Pi 7" touchscreen for this price. Say what you will about Amazon fire tablets but this is by far the best deal in tablets unless you have a demanding use case in which case you should get an ipad
Apr 23, 2008
81 posts
117 upvotes
I'm getting older and my eye won't focus on my little phone as it used to... I'm considering HD10 so I can use it for doing web searches instead of my phone that's getting small.. IPads are way too expensive just to do web searches and occasional YouTube.. so I'm also considering cheap hd8 or hd10 for this purpose. Value is unbeatable... You don't have to use amazon's services even if they push for it..

Here is a link to sideload play store if you worried.. within 10 mins:
https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/06/0 ... ablet/?amp

I just hope hd10s also on sale.. Somehow doubt it..
Oct 13, 2016
538 posts
664 upvotes
In a galaxy far far …
goozy1 wrote: Exactly this!

People want the performance $1000 iPad pro. It's a $89 tablet so get your expectations in line.

Show me another tablet remotely close to this price. Heck, I was going to build a home automation hub like the one you suggested and I couldn't even buy the official raspberry Pi 7" touchscreen for this price. Say what you will about Amazon fire tablets but this is by far the best deal in tablets unless you have a demanding use case in which case you should get an ipad
These consistently last approximately two years before the screens are cracked enough the kids can't use them. And I'm very happy with that!
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1445 posts
2015 upvotes
Waterloo Region
ukrainiandude wrote: Before you buy this piece of ... technology.
Can’t access google play store
Dude!! Come on!!! It's a $90 tablet.
Do you know how much it costs to replace the screen on a cracked 2 year old galaxy S9? I'll give you a hint, it's more than $90.

This does not compare to a Galaxy tab S series or an ipad, for serious productivity (if such a thing exists). But throw on YouTube Vanced and a $20 kids case and this is an absolute beast for a 3 year old. I love these tablets. Super rugged and does its job, and now that they've got USB-C, I don't have to worry about chargers any. I'm always buying these and sending back home for nieces and nephews. Nothing fancy about these, just good old fashioned tableting. Grinning Face
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2012
2837 posts
1010 upvotes
Saskatoon
Gangsta101 wrote: absolute beast for a 3 year old.
Your 3 old eyes deserve better.
Too many kinds nowadays wear glasses.

Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2018
6485 posts
20641 upvotes
Kitchener
How good would this be for use with Moonlight gamestream? What kind of battery life can we expect ?
Phone: iPhone 8 64gb
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2002
3091 posts
291 upvotes
GTA
I have two of these, for the price they are decent but like other posters have said, they get sluggish over time and the screen is just ok.
Google store is easy to install but I found it made it slower.
And you still have to deal with the Amazon version of Android.
At the end, we use them for Netflix and as Ereaders. Web browsing is just not enjoyable at all on the device.
That said I'm looking for a better tablet, anyone has experience with the 8" Galaxy Tab A, for $199?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)