Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] [The Source] TP-Link EAP245 Ceiling Mount Access Point - $89.99 | EAP225 - $69.99

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2020 12:01 pm
Jan 1, 2015
591 posts
469 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sexyj wrote: Cause mesh sucks ?

Since its just automatic network extender.
and powerline doesn't suck?
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
11927 posts
3046 upvotes
Better than mesh

Which is why I also suggested if he could run a ethernet then do that.... :facepalm:
FrugalConsumer wrote: and powerline doesn't suck?
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6551 posts
1176 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
For what's its worth, I had an EAP225 facing upward on a shelf on the main floor, and I can get a good signal in the basement right underneath it.
projectman44 wrote: My main EAP245 - with the most devices using it - is only on a Cat5 line running about 40ft. Should i try to switch it out with a Cat6 line?
Replace it if you can, but CAT5 can supposedly support gigabit if it's short and straight enough, if it is in good condition and it's up to spec.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Jun 1, 2017
382 posts
249 upvotes
Mississauga
Im also wondering if its worth getting the controller. Right now i have 2 points (will be getting a 3rd soon), and i'm just using the app to manage them.
I understand that with the controller, I can access them from outside my network. But are there other advantages?
Mar 17, 2005
487 posts
184 upvotes
projectman44 wrote: Im also wondering if its worth getting the controller. Right now i have 2 points (will be getting a 3rd soon), and i'm just using the app to manage them.
I understand that with the controller, I can access them from outside my network. But are there other advantages?
I think the most relevant feature is that fast/seamless roaming requires a controller. Having a controller has additional benefits like monitoring, guest network portal, batch configuration/upgrade, etc. If you use mesh and the mesh network contains 3 or more APs, then auto adjusting mesh network requires a controller.

If you happen to have a Windows or Linux server running already or a device like raspberry pi or a device can run docker, you can go with the software route.
Nov 2, 2007
296 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
For those that are using Raspberry Pi as the Omada controller, have you upgraded from the previous version 3.2.1 to the new 4.1.5? Is there a guide for this upgrade?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
1278 posts
1410 upvotes
GTA
a4kel wrote: For those that are using Raspberry Pi as the Omada controller, have you upgraded from the previous version 3.2.1 to the new 4.1.5? Is there a guide for this upgrade?
There are upgrade guides. Search.
I haven’t upgraded yet, but plan to soon for my 5 (so far, 8 in future) APs.

edit: I have seen guides, but do not have any links handy and would have to search myself again. Sorry.

edit2: This may help if you use docker. Let me know if it works, as I have not tried it. some RPi are arm7, some are arm8 https://github.com/mbentley/docker-omada-controller
Dec 24, 2011
92 posts
28 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Can anyone speak from experience what the found better - Omada vs Ubiquiti?
Aug 20, 2004
127 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
iTomHD wrote: Can anyone speak from experience what the found better - Omada vs Ubiquiti?
Ubiquiti is better for performance and variety of products/applications but it's a lot more money. The current Omada in-wall AP is limited to 10/100 on the Ethernet, whereas the Ubiquiti is Gigabit. The Omada EAP235 will be Gigabit so worth considering then. Both work decently well. The latest Omada update really makes it look like a decent clone of the Ubiquiti interface.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
1278 posts
1410 upvotes
GTA
a4kel wrote: For those that are using Raspberry Pi as the Omada controller, have you upgraded from the previous version 3.2.1 to the new 4.1.5? Is there a guide for this upgrade?
upgrade guide: https://community.tp-link.com/en/busine ... pic/222120
tl;dr backup your existing setting and restore them

running 4.1.5 on rpi, after you shutdown your existing EAP controller: docker run -d --network host --restart unless-stopped docker.io/ronaldo1965/omada-sdn-controller:latest
you download and run the docker image listed
it's run as a daemon (-d)
you want host networking (--network host)
you want it to keep running, even after a reboot (--restart unless-stopped)

If you need to stop it:
docker container ls (get a list of the containers running, to find the id of this one. id = first cryptic number)
docker container stop <id from above>

to restart, repeat the command to start it, or reboot the rpi
Jun 8, 2012
129 posts
46 upvotes
Toronto
Najeeb wrote: The Omada EAP235 will be Gigabit so worth considering then. Both work decently well.
I see the 235 has finally been released, I can't find it in Canada yet.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6551 posts
1176 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
projectman44 wrote: Im also wondering if its worth getting the controller. Right now i have 2 points (will be getting a 3rd soon), and i'm just using the app to manage them.
I think that if you setup a TP-LINK account and link it in the app you can also get cloud access that way. My understanding is that the app and the hardware controller have all the same features.

The only thing the hardware controller is good for is that you don't need a machine to run 24/7 and will not be affected if the computer shutdown/restarts for whatever reason. Also use less power.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
1278 posts
1410 upvotes
GTA
evilsee wrote: I see the 235 has finally been released, I can't find it in Canada yet.
The wall mount Omada APs are really designed for hotel/dorm rooms, where one is placed in each room. You can use them in residential as well, but they don't have all the features, such as mesh and 802.11k/v/k. seamless roaming. Check out their features and antenna patterns before buying, as the antenna patterns and signal strength are designed to be limited to a single room
Ceiling mount APs will likely work better in most circumstances.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2012
1188 posts
833 upvotes
VANCOUVER
karlb wrote: There are upgrade guides. Search.
I haven’t upgraded yet, but plan to soon for my 5 (so far, 8 in future) APs.

edit: I have seen guides, but do not have any links handy and would have to search myself again. Sorry.

edit2: This may help if you use docker. Let me know if it works, as I have not tried it. some RPi are arm7, some are arm8 https://github.com/mbentley/docker-omada-controller
I upgraded on my Synology NAS with this docker image.

Tbh, I tried, got flustered, and started fresh on 4.1.5. Once you configure and adopt/provision the AP identically to what it was before, you don't really have any downtime. I just took that time to tweak and optimize my settings. I don't have any data points but my family noticed the internet being snappier overall when the AP firmwares were updated.
Sep 7, 2006
914 posts
563 upvotes
Hey guys, just received my 245 and had a few questions for those who own one.
I just set up the AP connected to a fido CGN3U modem (which isn't in bridge mode yet since im waiting for my 150GC to come in to purchase an edgerouter 6) and ran a DSL report test and finding that I have a B to C bufferbloat. Is there a particular reason this is occurring with the one device connected to it? since QOS isn't a present feature the wifi connection is peaking at max speed and im wondering if this is the cause? Like itll keep pushing for more, but gets pushed back from the cap the line is set at.

Is this a thing?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

GadgetShopper