Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] [The Source] TP-Link EAP245 Ceiling Mount Access Point - $89.99 | EAP225 - $69.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2020 4:46 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2005
2810 posts
203 upvotes
GVR
FalconR wrote: I just ordered the Ubiquiti Unifi Ap-AC Lite from Amazon for around $110. Should I get this instead since it's cheaper?

Go with EAP245. You won't regret it. Comes with secondary Ethernet port as well. Software and setup are easier too.
My Heatware - My Heatware
Jan 14, 2007
731 posts
243 upvotes
Toronto
Najeeb wrote: It won't roam properly. You're better off buying another Deco. You can actually use another Deco other than an M4 and it will still work.
thank you for your quick response.
Oct 12, 2017
14 posts
3 upvotes
should I get tp link deco m4 (3 packs) for around $170 or should I reuse my old asus 68u + 3 eap 245? My house is 3100 square sq.ft (first floor) + 1100 sq.ft (second floor). Right now, I set up my 68u in the center of house and wifi coverage is not bad. Every room has ethernet port. Thank you.
Mar 1, 2008
168 posts
30 upvotes
I think 2 EAP and your current router should give you approximately the needed coverage.

With 3 properly planned out given you have wire everywhere you can probably strategically place them to cover a piece of your front and your back yard too.

I haven’t tried Deco so I won’t comment on the coverage of that.
Oct 12, 2017
14 posts
3 upvotes
A_guy wrote: I think 2 EAP and your current router should give you approximately the needed coverage.

With 3 properly planned out given you have wire everywhere you can probably strategically place them to cover a piece of your front and your back yard too.

I haven’t tried Deco so I won’t comment on the coverage of that.
I will turn off wifi on my asus router, and use Eaps' wifi only to create mesh wifi for seamless roaming ?
Mar 1, 2008
168 posts
30 upvotes
You can turn it off and then install the software onto a computer somewhere (or your server or pi or something if you want to keep it running).

If you want you can also keep it on under a different name for guests or in an additional out of the way place for additional emergency coverage (like basement or whatever). Remember to forget the wifi on your devices so you don’t pick it up by accident and hook into it when you need it and forget it again after. Just put it in a channel that you aren’t using for your other wifi so there’s less interference.
Oct 12, 2017
14 posts
3 upvotes
A_guy wrote: You can turn it off and then install the software onto a computer somewhere (or your server or pi or something if you want to keep it running).

If you want you can also keep it on under a different name for guests or in an additional out of the way place for additional emergency coverage (like basement or whatever). Remember to forget the wifi on your devices so you don’t pick it up by accident and hook into it when you need it and forget it again after. Just put it in a channel that you aren’t using for your other wifi so there’s less interference.
Thank you for explanation, Can I just place Eap on the desk or shelf instead of mounting on the ceiling, not sure about the single strength difference.
Feb 25, 2006
174 posts
137 upvotes
Calgary
sexydaddy wrote: Thank you for explanation, Can I just place Eap on the desk or shelf instead of mounting on the ceiling, not sure about the single strength difference.
I've got 3 sitting on shelves on different floors. They work fine.
Apr 30, 2017
39 posts
11 upvotes
I’ve been waiting for the UBiquiti line to go on deeper discounts for this holiday season for my 3 story house. However this seems much cheaper and would allow me to install two... just not sure if it’s worth going TPLink tho
Mar 1, 2008
168 posts
30 upvotes
I have it on a desk for one of them and I don’t notice too much difference in terms of speed. But it is meant to be mounted on ceiling so I am sure it would be better in terms of area of coverage due to less items high up blocking the signal and all that.

The only way to tell really is for you to do your own wireless survey as the location, the walls, material around it all matters. At least in normal household, a reasonable location should give you acceptable result (like not behind concrete walls and under a pile of other electronics etc.) You currently cover your entire place with one router, I doubt having two on a desk will give you that much worse coverage.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
1137 posts
1242 upvotes
GTA
Basically all ceiling mounted APs have an antenna radiation pattern that is pretty much a hemisphere, downwards. There is some radiated power upward, but not a lot.
Works well on a ceiling, or if you have it near the floor, place it on its back, so it radiates upwards, as well as sideways.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2018
1052 posts
1036 upvotes
Blainville, QC
Picked up 1 AP from Staples using the $10 off coupon, Thanks OP!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6447 posts
1092 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Kursor17 wrote: Can these APs be restarted remotely?
Through the controller yes.
There's a sucker born every minute.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Idlehands