Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] [The Source] TP-Link EAP245 Ceiling Mount Access Point - $89.99 | EAP225 - $69.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2020 4:46 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1711 posts
634 upvotes
Oakville
For home use, Assuming I don't care about usage analytics, what would I gain from getting a unifi or Aruba instant on ap vs this ap?

I'd want separate SSIDs, remote rebooting. Vlans I assume I'd setup on pfsense router or at a managed switch level?
Mar 12, 2012
320 posts
242 upvotes
Ottawa
fizz1234 wrote: Eap + edge router
I'll throw another option: Eap (one, two, three) + OC200 + edge router

That's what I have at home, very highly recommended.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4143 posts
2133 upvotes
sexydaddy wrote: should I get tp link deco m4 (3 packs) for around $170 or should I reuse my old asus 68u + 3 eap 245? My house is 3100 square sq.ft (first floor) + 1100 sq.ft (second floor). Right now, I set up my 68u in the center of house and wifi coverage is not bad. Every room has ethernet port. Thank you.
If every room has an ethernet port, yes! Wired backhaul makes a huge difference for the M4. I have it and it's great.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2008
3295 posts
687 upvotes
Toronto
Can I use this EAP without the software if I just need stronger wireless connection?

Going to have wifi on my min router and then have this in the basement connected via an Ethernet switch to the main router.

Just need better wifi in the basement so was wondering if this would work or I should be looking for something else
Oct 12, 2017
14 posts
3 upvotes
bhrm wrote: If every room has an ethernet port, yes! Wired backhaul makes a huge difference for the M4. I have it and it's great.
Thank you. M4(3 packs) is cheapr than 3 eap225 or 245. No sure about the performance difference, I will place them on the desktop.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
1956 posts
344 upvotes
Central Ontario
Kursor17 wrote: For home use, Assuming I don't care about usage analytics, what would I gain from getting a unifi or Aruba instant on ap vs this ap?

I'd want separate SSIDs, remote rebooting. Vlans I assume I'd setup on pfsense router or at a managed switch level?
I can't speak to Aruba but compared to my Unifi at home, I find the EAP245 pretty comparable.

Just curious, why is remote rebooting so important? I've never had to remote reboot my Unifi APs nor the EAP245s I've installed for clients.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4143 posts
2133 upvotes
sexydaddy wrote: Thank you. M4(3 packs) is cheapr than 3 eap225 or 245. No sure about the performance difference, I will place them on the desktop.
Performance wise, the EAP will do way way way better....and as some say you may need to turn down the signal power. However they're ceiling mount so probably not ideal unless you have ethernet wired that way.

M4 is insanely easy to setup....but offers little control over it. For 90% of the population, you'll be fine.
Oct 12, 2017
14 posts
3 upvotes
bhrm wrote: Performance wise, the EAP will do way way way better....and as some say you may need to turn down the signal power. However they're ceiling mount so probably not ideal unless you have ethernet wired that way.

M4 is insanely easy to setup....but offers little control over it. For 90% of the population, you'll be fine.
Thank you. I have already ordered two EAP 245 two days ago from Staples. Nobody in the family play games, just stream some videos. Let's test it out to see how the EAP works.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2010
1284 posts
298 upvotes
undacova wrote: Can I use this EAP without the software if I just need stronger wireless connection?

Going to have wifi on my min router and then have this in the basement connected via an Ethernet switch to the main router.

Just need better wifi in the basement so was wondering if this would work or I should be looking for something else
You can use it without the software
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2005
2810 posts
203 upvotes
GVR
sassysue wrote: Can you please tell me how good is this modem and how fast it is and what about the strength of the signal
It's not a modem.
It's an access point. Basically an unit that connects to the router and provides wifi.

Speeds advertised are below but these are max speeds.
5GHz 1300Mbps
2.4GHz 450Mbps
Obviously it depends on your internet plan, access point location, number of walls to pass thru, etc.

Consensus is that it is easy to set up, decent signal and coverage, and not many issues.

It may be easier to describe the issue you are having, what your layout is like and what you intend to do.
My Heatware - My Heatware
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2006
1363 posts
215 upvotes
Can this mesh with existing UniFi Ac pro or will I run into problems? Thx!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
5925 posts
2426 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Got it recently but yet to setup.

Had question on install options.

The manual says 3 options to install with fist being with rail kit.
The quick booklet says 2 options to install and have instructions same as manual options 2 and 3.

Did not receive rail kit... did anyone receive option 1 of 3 rail kit?

Would not have asked but noticed that invoice in box has order date that is 1 day after I ordered and completely different name and address!! But shipping box has correct address!!
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Dec 29, 2016
145 posts
11 upvotes
Two questions:

1) Does anyone have these with gigabit internet? What kind of speeds do you get on wifi?
2) How are these deployed on walls instead of ceiling?