Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] [The Source] TP-Link EAP245 Ceiling Mount Access Point - $89.99 | EAP225 - $69.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2020 4:46 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2018
1052 posts
1036 upvotes
Blainville, QC
Fardashian wrote: Two questions:

1) Does anyone have these with gigabit internet? What kind of speeds do you get on wifi?
2) How are these deployed on walls instead of ceiling?
About #2. I have mine sitting on the floor of my condo since I can't mount on either wall or ceiling. No coverage issues at all. 100% signal in entire 1200sqft space.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
2623 posts
1282 upvotes
Fardashian wrote: Two questions:

1) Does anyone have these with gigabit internet? What kind of speeds do you get on wifi?
2) How are these deployed on walls instead of ceiling?
I don't have Gigabit internet, but copying large files from my NAS typically runs between 400Mbps and 500Mbps via my EAP245 connected @ 5GHz. I've got my EAP245 wired to a Gigabit switch in the basement which is also wired to the NAS.

The other thread talks about ceiling vs. wall mounting - the signal is directional and you will get optimal speeds if ceiling mounted, though I'm not sure how much 'loss' there would be if wall mounting. I'd originally planned to mount mine inside a wall (cold air return), but decided to instead mount it on the ceiling in a closet immediately beside the cold air return.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2008
1586 posts
290 upvotes
Just installed 2 of these. Going to see over the next couple of days how they perform, and if they’re better than the consumer crap I have dealt with for years. From preliminary testing tho, they’re fairly stable but slow. I got faster throughput on my aging R7000’s 5Ghz wifi vs these where I average 200-400. 500 if I’m lucky.
Dec 29, 2016
145 posts
11 upvotes
sid8tive wrote: About #2. I have mine sitting on the floor of my condo since I can't mount on either wall or ceiling. No coverage issues at all. 100% signal in entire 1200sqft space.
Is it mounted on a wall on one “side” or is it more central with devices “behind” the AP? Mostly trying to understand how it would do directionally.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2018
1052 posts
1036 upvotes
Blainville, QC
Fardashian wrote: Is it mounted on a wall on one “side” or is it more central with devices “behind” the AP? Mostly trying to understand how it would do directionally.
Sitting on the floor with its top upwards. Not sideways.
Jun 24, 2005
582 posts
81 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Fardashian wrote: Is it mounted on a wall on one “side” or is it more central with devices “behind” the AP? Mostly trying to understand how it would do directionally.
Yes, I'd like to know if it would work well mounted on the wall as I want to put one on a wall on the 2nd storey of my house.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34150 posts
3891 upvotes
Winnipeg
AstonM wrote: This deal was quite popular awhile ago: amazon-ca-tp-link-eap245-ac1750-wireles ... 9-2367474/

Back on at the source, also includes the EAP225.

EAP225
EAP245

Amazon Link (thanks to @paaji )

Recent thread on the same: t-p-link-eap-245-2404199/#p33155583

I have 2 of the EAP245 + OC200 cloud controller. Been quite happy with them and usually average 200-300mbps in a 2200sqft townhouse (3 story).
How does this work? Can I buy as many EAP as I want in my mesh and they all work together? Then what is the purpose of CO200 cloud controller?
Aug 26, 2018
10 posts
7 upvotes
divx wrote: How does this work? Can I buy as many EAP as I want in my mesh and they all work together? Then what is the purpose of CO200 cloud controller?
The cloud controller is not necessary but is more convenient and energy efficient than running the software controller on a PC or Server. You need the controller for advanced configuration, diagnostics, firmware upgrades and statistics monitoring. These are small business grade Access points so setting them up properly is not as simple as some of the off the shelf consumer grade devices such as eero etc...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9672 posts
2206 upvotes
Winnipeg
divx wrote: How does this work? Can I buy as many EAP as I want in my mesh and they all work together? Then what is the purpose of CO200 cloud controller?
without mesh no your good to go after setup with controller. In mesh they say its best to run a controller software 24/7. By it oc200 or your pc, or thru an rpi2/3/4 or quadcore tvbox which supports modern dockers too.

I run only 2 instances of eap. 1) is an outdoor eap225. It was so powerfull I turned off the wifi inside altogether at the lake(cottage walls are thin of course) as it was pointless the dam thing worked excellent for around 200ft radius in 5ghz treed property right to the water. The other was inside a house top floor central ceiling mounted on 2 story. But I used the main routers wifi in basement on separate channels same ssd half tx/rx power just for basement coverage and I have no issues with coverage overall myself.

I recommend start with 1 first. If it doesn't cover well enough. You then add another etc.

I liked to here from people running 2 or more in mesh to reply, if its worth it or not to go mesh with controller at all?

I do believe these are high attenuated for proper mounting for their desired functions to work optimally.
Last edited by lead on Oct 17th, 2020 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
5459 posts
5070 upvotes
Downtown Canada
Placing an order as this is a cheaper alternative vs Ubiquity that I currently have.
Images
  • Annotation 2020-10-17 162652.png
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9672 posts
2206 upvotes
Winnipeg
TransporterSD wrote: Placing an order as this is a cheaper alternative vs Ubiquity that I currently have.
what else powering? you don't really need the poe switch as it comes with poe power adapter with each eap?
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2010
1284 posts
298 upvotes
rngun wrote: Yes, I'd like to know if it would work well mounted on the wall as I want to put one on a wall on the 2nd storey of my house.
It will work fine, I have 1 of these wall mounted and it works fine.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
5459 posts
5070 upvotes
Downtown Canada
lead wrote: what else powering? you don't really need the poe switch as it comes with poe power adapter with each eap?
my cisco voip phone, I am trying to cut the wires. Thanks for noticing and pointing it out. Gonna start with 1 EAP on third floor and probably add another one on 1st floor. 3 story house.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9672 posts
2206 upvotes
Winnipeg
TransporterSD wrote: my cisco voip phone, I am trying to cut the wires. Thanks for noticing and pointing it out. Gonna start with 1 EAP on third floor and probably add another one on 1st floor. 3 story house.
oh gotcha it will be cleaner. You'll Probably save a watt or 2 less power loss at every psu at plug for each poe device. I was looking at trying that out with some rpi's and poe hats. Its on the my huge "want to try list" that never gets smaller.LOL
Jul 20, 2011
227 posts
237 upvotes
NORTH YORK
sassysue wrote: Can you please tell me how good is this modem and how fast it is and what about the strength of the signal
The EAP245 wireless access point is business grade product, with solid quality and better than home-use products performance and efficiency, also better security( high security VPN and WPA3) the wireless signal is very strong, I have it mounted at the 1st floor ceiling, I have 3 bars of signal at he end of my drive way( about 50 feet from my front door).

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 0 guests)

mx-5, Art, TheEar