Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] [The Source] TP-Link EAP245 Ceiling Mount Access Point - $89.99 | EAP225 - $69.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2020 4:46 pm
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 24, 2005
582 posts
81 upvotes
Richmond Hill
fizz1234 wrote: It will work fine, I have 1 of these wall mounted and it works fine.
Hi Fizz,

Could you please elaborate and tell us how many storeys, sqft, approximately where you mounted the AP vertically?

It appears that mounting it vertically will have a dead zone behind it? They sell wall mounted AP's that fit into your standard electrical light switch box, but I'm not sure if these ones are powerful enough.

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2005
2493 posts
1130 upvotes
Surrey
I have mounted vertically as well on the wall. I hate signal up the street. You can use the net Analyzer to check.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 24, 2005
582 posts
81 upvotes
Richmond Hill
paaji wrote: I have mounted vertically as well on the wall. I hate signal up the street. You can use the net Analyzer to check.
Same question I asked Fizz:

Could you please elaborate and tell us how many storeys, sqft, approximately where you mounted the AP vertically?

It appears that mounting it vertically will have a dead zone behind it? They sell wall mounted AP's that fit into your standard electrical light switch box, but I'm not sure if these ones are powerful enough.

Thanks!
Newbie
Dec 24, 2011
76 posts
20 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Najeeb wrote: Definitely the EAP245 + edge router
Why an 'edge' router, and how would it compare to a regular router? Any particular edge router that would pair best with an EAP245?
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2010
1284 posts
298 upvotes
rngun wrote: Hi Fizz,

Could you please elaborate and tell us how many storeys, sqft, approximately where you mounted the AP vertically?

It appears that mounting it vertically will have a dead zone behind it? They sell wall mounted AP's that fit into your standard electrical light switch box, but I'm not sure if these ones are powerful enough.

Thanks!
My situation might not be for everyone. I have 3 covering reach floor appox 3000sqft in total. Due to overlap in Coverage I won't be able to confirm "signal behind the ap".
To be honest I have read people just putting them facing up on a table, tv stand etc and be fine.
Newbie
Dec 24, 2011
76 posts
20 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
lead wrote: without mesh no your good to go after setup with controller. In mesh they say its best to run a controller software 24/7. By it oc200 or your pc, or thru an rpi2/3/4 or quadcore tvbox which supports modern dockers too.

I run only 2 instances of eap. 1) is an outdoor eap225. It was so powerfull I turned off the wifi inside altogether at the lake(cottage walls are thin of course) as it was pointless the dam thing worked excellent for around 200ft radius in 5ghz treed property right to the water. The other was inside a house top floor central ceiling mounted on 2 story. But I used the main routers wifi in basement on separate channels same ssd half tx/rx power just for basement coverage and I have no issues with coverage overall myself.

I recommend start with 1 first. If it doesn't cover well enough. You then add another etc.

I liked to here from people running 2 or more in mesh to reply, if its worth it or not to go mesh with controller at all?

I do believe these are high attenuated for proper mounting for their desired functions to work optimally.
How high up did you mount the outdoor eap225? I mounted mine on the upper balcony of my home and have very little signal on the porch below it. Wondering if I would be better mounting it on the lower porch closer to head height?
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 24, 2005
582 posts
81 upvotes
Richmond Hill
fizz1234 wrote: My situation might not be for everyone. I have 3 covering reach floor appox 3000sqft in total. Due to overlap in Coverage I won't be able to confirm "signal behind the ap".
To be honest I have read people just putting them facing up on a table, tv stand etc and be fine.
Thanks. I want to mount mine on the 2nd floor, kind of central location in the open hallway, but I don't want to crawl into the attic (I had the blown insulation topped up a few years ago, so it's pretty thick). That's why I want to mount it vertically on a wall. I guess I'll try putting the AP on a ladder near the wall. I'll try vertically and horizontally and test the wifi strength.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2006
1363 posts
215 upvotes
TransporterSD wrote: Placing an order as this is a cheaper alternative vs Ubiquity that I currently have.
@TransporterSD are you buying one to mesh with your UniFi AP? I have a UniFi AP but coverage not that great for the house so thinking of adding another one. Wanting to try this one out if it can co-exist with the UniFi.

Thx!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2015
5459 posts
5069 upvotes
Downtown Canada
crustydragon wrote: @TransporterSD are you buying one to mesh with your UniFi AP? I have a UniFi AP but coverage not that great for the house so thinking of adding another one. Wanting to try this one out if it can co-exist with the UniFi.

Thx!
I am going to be removing my unifi ap, I've been having disconnect issues where is my tp link router has no issues. I've updated the firmware but it keeps happening, I had this issue with rogers modem and with bell. So I know it's not connection problem.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 21, 2002
9672 posts
2206 upvotes
Winnipeg
iTomHD wrote: How high up did you mount the outdoor eap225? I mounted mine on the upper balcony of my home and have very little signal on the porch below it. Wondering if I would be better mounting it on the lower porch closer to head height?
I could see that happening it uses dipole antennas which are meant for further but omni directional but are very weak directly above and below. Dipole can be worse the closer to it the way the beam spreads.

Mine is about 12 to 15ft depending where you stand but I wager its equal to the level of the main floor since the main cottage is built on a hill.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
5925 posts
2426 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
rngun wrote: Thanks. I want to mount mine on the 2nd floor, kind of central location in the open hallway, but I don't want to crawl into the attic (I had the blown insulation topped up a few years ago, so it's pretty thick). That's why I want to mount it vertically on a wall. I guess I'll try putting the AP on a ladder near the wall. I'll try vertically and horizontally and test the wifi strength.
When get chance also going to put on second floor and then maybe just close wifi on router or keep wifi5 on router and see if eap245 can give wifi2.4 signal from second floor to first floor to basement!!

Gonna try just putting on second floor but on floor [maybe a cheap plastic tray under desk to keep off floor] or perhaps put on far wall aimed bit down towards basement which has trouble with wifi.
.......
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 21, 2002
9672 posts
2206 upvotes
Winnipeg
georvu wrote: When get chance also going to put on second floor and then maybe just close wifi on router or keep wifi5 on router and see if eap245 can give wifi2.4 signal from second floor to first floor to basement!!

Gonna try just putting on second floor but on floor [maybe a cheap plastic tray under desk to keep off floor] or perhaps put on far wall aimed bit down towards basement which has trouble with wifi.
I was in the same predictment and so far since my main router was in the basement anyway.Instead of disabling wifi I set it at same ssid but different non competing channels as the eap. But I set the main router at half wifi tx/rx transmit power and that was enough for just the basement and room just above it. The eap at the top floor did the rest of the residence well enough.
rngun wrote: Same question I asked Fizz:

Could you please elaborate and tell us how many storeys, sqft, approximately where you mounted the AP vertically?

It appears that mounting it vertically will have a dead zone behind it? They sell wall mounted AP's that fit into your standard electrical light switch box, but I'm not sure if these ones are powerful enough.

Thanks!
the only thing about the wall version I don't like. Its wired port is 100lan.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
1137 posts
1242 upvotes
GTA
Any “ceiling mount” access point like these, or Cisco/Ubiquiti/etc. basically radiate their antenna in a hemisphere down. Think of a half sphere, from the ceiling downward and outward.
If you put one on a floor/desk, it radiates upward and outward.
If you put one on a wall, by now you should be able to figure out how the antenna pattern goes.
There is some to the back (top) of the United, but that is far less than to the front/down.

Most WI-FI routers are omnidirectional. Think of a sphere, in all directions.

And for any WI-FI, how good signal is depends not only on distance, but anything between you and the access point/router. And the construction of that “anything” has a lot to do with how much the signal is degraded. Various materials degrade the signal more or less than others. YMMV.

We have a few EAP245 and EAP225, with the controller software running on a Raspberry Pi.
They work well. Power level on all is quite low, as they just cover a portion of the house.
Newbie
Dec 24, 2011
76 posts
20 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
So these access points take the Wi-Fi burden off your modem; but what about doing so with wired connections? I picked up 2 eap245s and will shut off wifi on my bell modem, but it will still have 30 something hard wired devices it needs to handle. Most routers tout their Wi-Fi capabilities which is a moot point when using these access points; so is there a tp-link router that blends in with the Omada software you guys use? Or any other such router suggestions?

Top