Nov 18, 2006
3006 posts
1772 upvotes
Pothole city

[Amazon.ca] Sous Vide Cooker with circulator - was 70$ coupon gone now 100$

Amazon's Choice
tons of reviews.
100$ - 30$ coupon. No tax . Free shipping
Last edited by typer100 on May 18th, 2020 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
42 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10246 posts
6523 upvotes
Looking at the 1-star reviews... construction might be an issue. Cookbook...if you're lucky, and if you do get it, don't expect much.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
3006 posts
1772 upvotes
Pothole city
One lady gave it a 3* because sous vide cooking takes too much time... lol
Last edited by typer100 on May 17th, 2020 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
2255 posts
1818 upvotes
Markham
typer100 wrote: One lady gave it a 3* because sous vide cooking take too much time... lol
Probably a Karen who 1* resorts because there’s too much sand at the beach.

No experience with this sous vide cooker but my cousin has it and doesn’t seem to have any complaints.

Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Jan 1, 2007
291 posts
95 upvotes
For $30 more I’d rather stick to an Anova
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
2255 posts
1818 upvotes
Markham
leungsta wrote: For $30 more I’d rather stick to an Anova
That must had been a heck of a deal... I got my Anova for just under $200.... on sale.

Koodo $40/8GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Sep 23, 2007
197 posts
266 upvotes
Toronto (Downtown)
Thanks OP. I have an Anova and ordinarily I'd stick with a known brand, but for the money I'm willing to take a chance on a second circulator for when I need a second bath running a different temp.

I'll let you all know what I think when it arrives.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
1881 posts
1359 upvotes
Surrey
In for one too, thanks OP! Great price and with a try. Always wanted one
Apr 12, 2016
138 posts
205 upvotes
BC
where are you getting a Anova for $100? the cheapest one is $130
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1370 posts
1489 upvotes
These stuff has been increasing in price lately. I remember getting a Chefman one for like $50 at walmart just a few years ago, which still works after a few dozen or so usage.

Now everything is $100+ unless on sale. I wonder what is going on.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2787 posts
2388 upvotes
Richmond Hill
This is cheapest Vours Vide i ever see so far.
It is not that complicated to "Copy" :)
Bright side of RFD: 4 X Koodo $40/8GB plan
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
1387 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
I have an anova wifi but never use it. Sure it makes a great steak but ask yourself am I going to really use this thing? Some people will love it and use it a ton I thought I was but it never happened.

Also reading the description etc they haven't put much time into translating to English I'm not sure I would want to trust the safety of this knockoff.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1931 posts
1622 upvotes
Toronto
InstantPot branded sous vide is 99 at bb&b, not sure if it applies that 20 off or 20% coupons..

Not sure if they have the same features, but it's defo an option for a name (and Canadian) brand...
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/store/p ... ck/5230090
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
2719 posts
709 upvotes
Thornhill
crazdefool wrote: I have an anova wifi but never use it. Sure it makes a great steak but ask yourself am I going to really use this thing? Some people will love it and use it a ton I thought I was but it never happened.
So you don't like a great steak?
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
1387 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
nosnoop wrote: So you don't like a great steak?
I can make a great steak without it in a fraction of the time. If I'm going to spend all day cooking meat I would rather have roast or ribs on my rotisserie. You will never experience collagen breaking down into the most delicious thing on earth with sous vide.
Apr 14, 2002
536 posts
235 upvotes
crazdefool wrote: I can make a great steak without it in a fraction of the time. If I'm going to spend all day cooking meat I would rather have roast or ribs on my rotisserie. You will never experience collagen breaking down into the most delicious thing on earth with sous vide.
Then you clearly don't know what your sous vide is capable of.
Heat/Beerology: akira112
Jan 15, 2015
621 posts
362 upvotes
paulcbz wrote: where are you getting a Anova for $100? the cheapest one is $130
NineOne wrote: Thanks OP. I have an Anova and ordinarily I'd stick with a known brand, but for the money I'm willing to take a chance on a second circulator for when I need a second bath running a different temp.

I'll let you all know what I think when it arrives.
neonic wrote: InstantPot branded sous vide is 99 at bb&b, not sure if it applies that 20 off or 20% coupons..

Not sure if they have the same features, but it's defo an option for a name (and Canadian) brand...
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/store/p ... ck/5230090
Anova Nano was selling at London Drugs for $119.99 a few months ago. Unfortunately they no longer carry it. They presently carry Instant Pot model SSV800 at $119.99 (seen on sale for $99.99 in the past).

I decided on Anova because it has a known reputation for reliability and accuracy though not the cheapest brand. It also comes with Bluetooth on the lowest priced Nano model. My experience is that temperature control is quite precise to within 0.1 deg C. Anova also has a low water level alarm which won't allow the immersion heater to turn on unless there is enough water. It's not clear whether the other brands have this feature.

One reviewer on Amazon had a bad experience with the Instant Pot failing after accidental immersion of the display in water (this is apparently safe to do with Anova although I don't recommend).

Judging from photos of the VPCOK unit, it appears the clamp mechanism is more suited for a flat walled container. Instant Pot and Anova models both have screw clamps which appear more robust and can adjust to a round cooking container. VPCOK clips appear thin and more likely to break with accidental drop or frequent usage.

Although the VPCOK is a good deal at $70, look beyond price if you intend to use this for a long time. I've had my Anova for several months, and used 2-3 times per week with no complaints.
Apr 12, 2016
138 posts
205 upvotes
BC
SAM3674 wrote: Judging from photos of the VPCOK unit, it appears the clamp mechanism is more suited for a flat walled container. Instant Pot and Anova models both have screw clamps which appear more robust and can adjust to a round cooking container. VPCOK clips appear thin and more likely to break with accidental drop or frequent usage.
there's pictures of the VPCOK being used in a round pot similar to IP pots, so that won't be a problem. I have also heard of Anova's crapping out often as well, and their customer support being hit or miss.