Amazon.ca

Sous Vide Cooker with circulator - was 70$ coupon gone now 100$

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2020 8:03 am
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
4554 posts
429 upvotes
currently making wings in my anova - LOVE my sous vide / probably are most used kitchen device
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1955 posts
1409 upvotes
Vancouver
The steak they use to showcase the product looks like they didn't use the sous vide to cook it. For anyone who is new to sous vide, this steak is not the result you want.

Here's an example of a recipe I followed that shows a nice consistent interior all the way through and a nicely browned exterior: https://www.reddit.com/r/sousvide/comme ... 212_hours/
Last edited by Sypsy on May 17th, 2020 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 24, 2011
540 posts
536 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
I've gotten the Instant Pot sous vide for around $77, seems like it goes on sale at this price pretty often as I've seen it at that price a few times. Seems more reputable than this brand.
Aug 24, 2014
114 posts
223 upvotes
West St Paul, MB
i missed out on the last instant pot sous vide sale... might pull the trigger on this one
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
3315 posts
2156 upvotes
Pothole city
SAM3674 wrote: Anova Nano was selling at London Drugs for $119.99 a few months ago. Unfortunately they no longer carry it. They presently carry Instant Pot model SSV800 at $119.99 (seen on sale for $99.99 in the past).

I decided on Anova because it has a known reputation for reliability and accuracy though not the cheapest brand. It also comes with Bluetooth on the lowest priced Nano model. My experience is that temperature control is quite precise to within 0.1 deg C. Anova also has a low water level alarm which won't allow the immersion heater to turn on unless there is enough water. It's not clear whether the other brands have this feature.

One reviewer on Amazon had a bad experience with the Instant Pot failing after accidental immersion of the display in water (this is apparently safe to do with Anova although I don't recommend).

Judging from photos of the VPCOK unit, it appears the clamp mechanism is more suited for a flat walled container. Instant Pot and Anova models both have screw clamps which appear more robust and can adjust to a round cooking container. VPCOK clips appear thin and more likely to break with accidental drop or frequent usage.

Although the VPCOK is a good deal at $70, look beyond price if you intend to use this for a long time. I've had my Anova for several months, and used 2-3 times per week with no complaints.
Wow man, you talking things seriously. I've been using a digital thermometer on the side of a big pot for years.
This how I do my sous vide. Just did 1 3lbs tomahawk yesterday. 2 hours at 55C.
Apr 30, 2006
3256 posts
2722 upvotes
Markham
crazdefool wrote: I can make a great steak without it in a fraction of the time. If I'm going to spend all day cooking meat I would rather have roast or ribs on my rotisserie. You will never experience collagen breaking down into the most delicious thing on earth with sous vide.
My beef ribs I had tonight would disagree.
D17E8D03-3772-4360-8B2E-BBDEAC4B3A0E.jpeg

Freedom Mobile $40/20GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2006
1257 posts
650 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
typer100 wrote: Amazon's Choice
tons of reviews.
100$ - 30$ coupon. No tax . Free shipping
Deal dead? Seeing $99 when I check out. There's no specific coupon code, is there?
Beware the RFD Effect
Oct 5, 2011
176 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
Love my Anova. It never disappointed me since day one. And after that i rarely go out to order steak in restaurant....Having said that, if i don't have my Anova, I may give it a try...
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
1402 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
akira112 wrote: Then you clearly don't know what your sous vide is capable of.
Actually forgot it can hit the temps to break down collagen. I stand corrected.
Jul 16, 2019
117 posts
90 upvotes
Had one from Showcase for $39.99 - $3.99 ($40.68 total) free ship when they had one on sale. Works like a charm, has H2O circulation too... even measured the temp maybe +/-1C off but otherwise no complaints. It's called Power Precision. I think these other brands are way overpriced, all the bells and whistles which are nice to have and you probably are using out of curiosity in the beginning and then just get tired of those features and then revert back to it's basic use: to cook food well...

(Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with showcase or any other seller, just giving some info for others in case it helps)
Apr 14, 2006
870 posts
344 upvotes
Toronto
HDawg wrote: My beef ribs I had tonight would disagree.
D17E8D03-3772-4360-8B2E-BBDEAC4B3A0E.jpeg
Looks good. What did you use to finish it off? bbq, broil?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2433 posts
1514 upvotes
London
sooksook wrote: Deal dead? Seeing $99 when I check out. There's no specific coupon code, is there?
There was a $30 coupon, available at the time the deal was posted, and for at least the next 10 hours (last time I looked).
It appears you were too late.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2007
1162 posts
589 upvotes
nosnoop wrote: So you don't like a great steak?
I never had a good steak sou vide even searing it afterwards. I like it to warm up left over medium rare meat. I had more success cooking more delicate meat like full rack of lamb because I'm guaranteed medium rare. Steak though no when there are better options like cast iron pan or BBQ my number 1 choice.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
3256 posts
2722 upvotes
Markham
Simo wrote: Looks good. What did you use to finish it off? bbq, broil?
Broiled for 8 min with a home made BBQ sauce I whipped up with a bit of tomato paste and bag drippings. Originally I had planned for a 3 hour smoke after cooking but I lost track of time and forgot to remove it from the sv. They were fall off the bone tender, lots of flavour and still moist.

Freedom Mobile $40/20GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2016
1267 posts
704 upvotes
crazdefool wrote: Sure it makes a great steak but ask yourself am I going to really use this thing?
I was asking myself the same thing. Not only I will have to buy the sous-vide cooker I have to buy the bags and the thingy which takes the air out.
My BBQ makes a great steak, sear it a bit on each side and than cook to perfection. And I fail to see how to get a medium rare steak with sous-vide. Also he quality of the ingredients themselves count for a whole lot when cooking.
What's the advantage of this?
Sep 23, 2007
330 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto (Downtown)
SAM3674 wrote: Anova Nano was selling at London Drugs for $119.99 a few months ago. Unfortunately they no longer carry it. They presently carry Instant Pot model SSV800 at $119.99 (seen on sale for $99.99 in the past).

I decided on Anova because it has a known reputation for reliability and accuracy though not the cheapest brand. It also comes with Bluetooth on the lowest priced Nano model. My experience is that temperature control is quite precise to within 0.1 deg C. Anova also has a low water level alarm which won't allow the immersion heater to turn on unless there is enough water. It's not clear whether the other brands have this feature.

One reviewer on Amazon had a bad experience with the Instant Pot failing after accidental immersion of the display in water (this is apparently safe to do with Anova although I don't recommend).

Judging from photos of the VPCOK unit, it appears the clamp mechanism is more suited for a flat walled container. Instant Pot and Anova models both have screw clamps which appear more robust and can adjust to a round cooking container. VPCOK clips appear thin and more likely to break with accidental drop or frequent usage.

Although the VPCOK is a good deal at $70, look beyond price if you intend to use this for a long time. I've had my Anova for several months, and used 2-3 times per week with no complaints.
I agree completely. I have an Anova from a few years ago that's still going strong and working perfectly. I wanted to get a second unit because sometimes I have a few things on the go, need a keep warm, or want to do something for a long time (e.g. black garlic) without tying up my only circulator. I figured for $70 I'm willing to gamble, but we'll see how it goes. Also I'm out in Ontario and we don't have London Drugs. I'm surprised how much I miss it since I moved!
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
3256 posts
2722 upvotes
Markham
govas19 wrote: I was asking myself the same thing. Not only I will have to buy the sous-vide cooker I have to buy the bags and the thingy which takes the air out.
My BBQ makes a great steak, sear it a bit on each side and than cook to perfection. And I fail to see how to get a medium rare steak with sous-vide. Also he quality of the ingredients themselves count for a whole lot when cooking.
What's the advantage of this?
You don’t need a vacuum sealer. Freezer Ziplock bags and water displacement works also.

Medium rare steak on sous vide is easy. Assuming a 1.5” steak, you cook with a sous vide at 130F for 2 hours. Remove it, dry it, then sear it.

Look, making a steak is more involved than simply grilling or pan frying it. Anyone who uses a sous vide regularly will admit this as well. However, a sous vide takes all the guess work out of getting meats to temperature and if edge to edge doneness is the goal, a sous vide makes it easier to do this. I wouldn’t cook any steak less than an inch thick with sous vide, but will bust it out with thicker steaks.

Also, anyone who thinks sous vide and only steak just doesn’t know what the device is for. It’s like, why use an Instant Pot instead of a slow cooker or pressure cooker? Why use an air fryer instead of a deep fryer? It’s all about having tools for different jobs.

End of the day, you don’t need a sous vide cooker. I’ve been a home cook for over 30 years and went this long without a sous vide cooker. Got mine in March and I’ve been using it a minimum once a week, usually 2-3 times. It’s a game changer.

Freedom Mobile $40/20GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2016
1267 posts
704 upvotes
HDawg wrote: Medium rare steak on sous vide is easy. Assuming a 1.5” steak, you cook with a sous vide at 130F for 2 hours. Remove it, dry it, then sear it.
I can do it in about 45 min on a gas BBQ. But I know sous-vide main strong points is not for cooking steaks, so this is a bad example especially if you compare a steak cooked sous-vide and one done on a wood grill. Also I want to reiterate that if someone is cooking some low-quality meat sous-vide will be disappointing compared to a decent quality meat cooked on a regular BBQ.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
3256 posts
2722 upvotes
Markham
govas19 wrote: I can do it in about 45 min on a gas BBQ. But I know sous-vide main strong points is not for cooking steaks, so this is a bad example especially if you compare a steak cooked sous-vide and one done on a wood grill. Also I want to reiterate that if someone is cooking some low-quality meat sous-vide will be disappointing compared to a decent quality meat cooked on a regular BBQ.
I am not saying sous vide is easier, or faster for steaks. Also agree you can’t make an eye of round done in a sv taste like a rib steak on the grill.

Keep in mind you can still grill or pan sear a steak done via sous vide.

I also pointed out that a sous vide is more involved and multi-stepped compared to a grill.

However, a steak done on a grill or pan will always have more grey banding than a sous vide steak, even when doing a reverse sear.

Anyhow, I do still grill steaks, so to me it’s just a matter of my mood. I like the process of smoking ribs but it doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy ribs done in an instant pot.

Freedom Mobile $40/20GB
Public Mobile $38/5GB