Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Sous Vide Cooker with circulator - was 70$ coupon gone now 100$

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2020 8:03 am
Nov 10, 2017
30 posts
27 upvotes
govas19 wrote: I can do it in about 45 min on a gas BBQ. But I know sous-vide main strong points is not for cooking steaks, so this is a bad example especially if you compare a steak cooked sous-vide and one done on a wood grill. Also I want to reiterate that if someone is cooking some low-quality meat sous-vide will be disappointing compared to a decent quality meat cooked on a regular BBQ.
Whoa! 45 minutes to cook a steak on a grill?!? Damn, must be tough as heck. I don’t own a sous vide cooler but I can do a 1.5” steak in about 10-12 minutes for medium rare.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2016
1267 posts
704 upvotes
Arstech wrote: Whoa! 45 minutes to cook a steak on a grill?!?
Well duh... Do you want me to fire up the grill and throw the meat on it? What's next fight the mammoths while waiting for it to be ready?
First the grill must reach the right temp, I put it on low so that's around 300F which will take 5 min -10 min or so. Than I sear it a couple of minutes max on each side on the grill sear burner, it's not really of matter of how many minutes but it must reach a certain color. Then I throw it on the grill, which will take around 30 min, 15 min on each side. Again is a matter of color and texture, I like it medium rare, I like the juices, but not dripping blood and when ready will have a certain texture and outer color.
But yes, overall will be 40-45 min.
With fresh high quality meat that thing will literally melt in your mouth.
Sep 23, 2007
330 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto (Downtown)
govas19 wrote: Well duh... Do you want me to fire up the grill and throw the meat on it? What's next fight the mammoths while waiting for it to be ready?
First the grill must reach the right temp, I put it on low so that's around 300F which will take 5 min -10 min or so. Than I sear it a couple of minutes max on each side on the grill sear burner, it's not really of matter of how many minutes but it must reach a certain color. Then I throw it on the grill, which will take around 30 min, 15 min on each side. Again is a matter of color and texture, I like it medium rare, I like the juices, but not dripping blood and when ready will have a certain texture and outer color.
But yes, overall will be 40-45 min.
With fresh high quality meat that thing will literally melt in your mouth.
The benefit of sous vide for a steak (where it absolutely shines, even though I think fish is the best use of a sous vide) is that it's totally foolproof and gets you a perfect result every single time with almost no hands-on activity. The selling points of sous vide have never included "shorter cooking time".

Also I don't understand how you fail to see how to get a medium rare steak with sous vide? You choose the temperature and it brings the entire cut to exactly that temperature. So if you want medium rare you can set it to 130f, and voila: medium rare steak.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)