534 upvotes
Vancouver
I see ghibli, I up vote.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3409 posts
2100 upvotes
SW ON
OP, you could have spelled out OST. I was wondering how a cartoon can be on vinyl.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2009
1760 posts
1569 upvotes
Ottawa
alpovs wrote: OP, you could have spelled out OST. I was wondering how a cartoon can be on vinyl.
OST is a common term used though, it is fine, especially with the vinyl there as well.
Aug 21, 2019
135 posts
29 upvotes
Now I just need to find a vinyl player on sale.
Sep 9, 2021
7 posts
8 upvotes
Anyone else find these movies overrated? Not sure why adults are so obsessed with them.
Nov 20, 2008
397 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
bussy123 wrote: Anyone else find these movies overrated? Not sure why adults are so obsessed with them.
Nope. Great movie, my entire family loves it as well as the other Ghibli movies but this one is their number 1. A close second place is Ponyo.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2016
1132 posts
2210 upvotes
bussy123 wrote: Anyone else find these movies overrated? Not sure why adults are so obsessed with them.
Absolutely. But only slightly overrated, they are good enough for me to understand WHY people love it
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1771 posts
1981 upvotes
West GTA
I don't like all of them, but they are largely great for a few reasons:

- Great animation. By stellar I don't just mean in terms of the big spectacles, though there are some movies that have plenty of that. It's stellar in the sense that they really try to make their animations feel 'human', they focus a lot on expressions and natural movement. Most studios up until fairly recently used less expressive animation - I'd argue that few do even now.
- Detail. The studio's headed by an obsessive perfectionist and it shows.
- Stories that feel grounded, in the sense that it feels kind of like you're watching people doing things that (within the context of the created universe) feels somewhat consistent.
- Often good soundtracks.

So there's a certain artistry to it, a focus on detail that makes you better immersed in the world presented. Not every movie is intended to be targeted to mature audiences (Ponyo is for kids, Totoro is for kids, several others have audiences in that age range), but all are done well. I don't like all of their movies, some just didn't grab me, but I sure like Spirited Away!
[OP]
Nov 15, 2013
962 posts
643 upvotes
Ottawa
alpovs wrote: OP, you could have spelled out OST. I was wondering how a cartoon can be on vinyl.
Sorry, my OCD hates seeing long thread titles if I can avoid it, thought OST was a commonly used term
leadhead wrote: Nope. Great movie, my entire family loves it as well as the other Ghibli movies but this one is their number 1. A close second place is Ponyo.
Ponyo is also at the top of my list, followed by Howl's Moving Castle and then Spirited Away closely behind. Cheers!
[OP]
Nov 15, 2013
962 posts
643 upvotes
Ottawa
koukone wrote: Expired? Don't see the price anymore :(
Looks like it, sadly. Price/stock held longer than I expected.
Jun 28, 2020
123 posts
92 upvotes
Chihiro san
All the way from +62
Dec 20, 2018
460 posts
681 upvotes
Princess Mononoke is better.

Things I like include an amazing art style. No jellybeans here. Lots and lots of days spent. Female characters are written better in Ghibli than in Disney/Pixar. I like Pixar a lot, but there seems to be things that take you out of the experience. Kind of like this is the part for adults, this is an Easter egg, this is meant to elicit a particular reaction. Kind of like you can see the strings. I like that Ghibli movies seem confident in what they are and what they want to be.

That being said, if you don't like Ghibli, you shouldn't feel like you should. Just be yourself.
[OP]
Nov 15, 2013
962 posts
643 upvotes
Ottawa
koukone wrote: Expired? Don't see the price anymore :(
$59.09 currently (look for Amazon.ca as seller)