• Last Updated:
  • Aug 28th, 2018 7:24 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
8549 posts
8919 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] Square Reader for Contactless and Chip - A-SKU-0507 $47.99

Decent price for anyone looking to accept Square. Don't forget your favourite cashback site & check if your account has the $5 bonus for $100 GC refill offer.

Comes with Contactless / Chip Reader (Debit & Credit) as well as the original Mag Swipe dongle. $47.99 vs Regular $59.99

DOES NOT INCLUDE THE STAND for the Contactless Reader

https://www.amazon.ca/Square-Reader-Con ... 077HZB22K/

Contactless (NFC) payments take just seconds-customers simply hold their card or device near the reader to trigger payment
• Insert chip credit cards into the reader and leave in place for the duration of the sale
• Pay 2.65 Percent per transaction for Visa, MasterCard and American Express credit cards-no surprise fees. Accept INTERAC Flash for 10 cents per transaction
• Take contactless debit cards and devices with INTERAC Flash for transactions under 100 Dollars
• Magstripe reader in the box: Both readers can be connected to your device simultaneously, so you can keep swiping magstripe credit cards as long as your customers are carrying them

Last edited by Wizard1 on Aug 25th, 2018 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3672 posts
2820 upvotes
Toronto
FYI, it works differently than you would expect for debit. For debit, you CAN'T use PIN (i.e. insert and enter PIN). You can only tap and only up to $100. Therefore, if someone only wants to use debit, it'll have to be with a newer debit card that has tap, and only if the purchase is less than $100.

Most people will probably use credit cards but you still might get an occasional person who only wants to use debit and the restriction above isn't 100% obvious.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
8549 posts
8919 upvotes
jm1 wrote:
Aug 25th, 2018 10:19 am
FYI, it works differently than you would expect for debit. For debit, you CAN'T use PIN (i.e. insert and enter PIN). You can only tap and only up to $100. Therefore, if someone only wants to use debit, it'll have to be with a newer debit card that has tap, and only if the purchase is less than $100.

Most people will probably use credit cards but you still might get an occasional person who only wants to use debit and the restriction above isn't 100% obvious.
Thanks for the insight. I guess will have to split it into multiple tap transactions for Interac. But for credit, you can use PIN yes?
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3672 posts
2820 upvotes
Toronto
Wizard1 wrote:
Aug 25th, 2018 10:22 am
Thanks for the insight. I guess will have to split it into multiple tap transactions for Interac. But for credit, you can use PIN yes?
If the debit card can tap, then yes, you can split it up into smaller $99 transactions in theory, However, I wouldn't be surprised if fraud detection systems kick in and stop you from doing multiple $99 transactions with the same card a minute apart... In fact, I would personally be disappointed if someone steals my debit card and does multiple taps under the authentication limit at the same location a minute apart and the system doesn't stop them.

Everything works with credit (PIN, swipe, tap). Basically, Square had worked things out with the credit card companies and Interac Flash, but can't use non-Flash Interac (PIN with debit card).
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2007
1673 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto
jm1 wrote:
Aug 25th, 2018 10:32 am
If the debit card can tap, then yes, you can split it up into smaller $99 transactions in theory, However, I wouldn't be surprised if fraud detection systems kick in and stop you from doing multiple $99 transactions with the same card a minute apart... In fact, I would personally be disappointed if someone steals my debit card and does multiple taps under the authentication limit at the same location a minute apart and the system doesn't stop them.

Everything works with credit (PIN, swipe, tap). Basically, Square had worked things out with the credit card companies and Interac Flash, but can't use non-Flash Interac (PIN with debit card).
Thank you.
OP - thank you as well
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1135 posts
576 upvotes
Ottawa
How secure are these device?
How do I know if "merchant" isn't using a modified app where they can steal from you by charging you more
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1135 posts
576 upvotes
Ottawa
jm1 wrote:
Aug 25th, 2018 10:19 am

Also, considering only CC has protection against unauthorized transactions, there are people who disable the contactless feature of their debit
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2010
3820 posts
1178 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
NoCountry4RFDer wrote:
Aug 26th, 2018 8:36 am
Also, considering only CC has protection against unauthorized transactions, there are people who disable the contactless feature of their debit
Guess people with bad credit is stuck with debit. It feels a lot more nervous to use debit company to cc.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Nov 22, 2010
189 posts
27 upvotes
Our youth charity group uses it and got it free from the square company.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2006
1931 posts
125 upvotes
OTTAWA, Canada
NoCountry4RFDer wrote:
Aug 26th, 2018 8:36 am

Yea once in a while we get people that have disabled tap and have to pay with cash. Otherwise I like the square device.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
8549 posts
8919 upvotes
NoCountry4RFDer wrote:
Aug 27th, 2018 8:08 pm
Thanks, didn't know that. I thought I asked my bank and they told me I would be responsible for any theft due to contactless. I might remember wrongly.
Better switch banks if that's the case
Apr 17, 2012
268 posts
229 upvotes
CALGARY
jm1 wrote:
Aug 25th, 2018 10:32 am

The only issue is that you will have to pay the fix portion of the fee for every time you run a transaction. In the long run, might not be a good idea.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
8549 posts
8919 upvotes
EuroTrance88 wrote:
Aug 27th, 2018 9:06 pm
The only issue is that you will have to pay the fix portion of the fee for every time you run a transaction. In the long run, might not be a good idea.
Or you can fork over the same amount of fees plus a few hundred dollars on top to lease / buy an actual POS machine. That's the allure of square, they offer low price point of entry without having to sign a contract