Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Stainless steel egg cooker, 7 egg capacity, poached/hard boiled/omelet, $20

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2019 6:19 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2003
3089 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
What about the poached egg function? to me that would be the selling point since poached eggs are the hardest to cook compared to boiled
Koodo: $50 6GB plan
Public Mobile: $23 1GB plan
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
7037 posts
1740 upvotes
This is literally the most used thing in our kitchen. My Boys LOVE medium boiled eggs, and love them while they are still warm. The issue is, getting them that way in a pot, is hit or miss, and peeling them can be a nightmare, and they can't be made in advance, because if you re-heat them, you over cook the yolk.

That's where this comes in. We just do a 1/2 dozen every morning for breakfast, and they come out perfect, soft in middle with hard whites that peel just like a hard boiled egg.
Images
  • Capture.JPG
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
7580 posts
4106 upvotes
North York
Denkel wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 11:52 am
I am a simple person, I just hard boil my eggs in the microwave...
Be careful of microwaving eggs. They tend to explode easily.
Mar 23, 2017
104 posts
65 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 10:48 am
Don't understand the Instant Pot hard boiled egg fascination.

Please do try the steam method instead. Even soft boiled eggs are peelable.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/201 ... ecipe.html

1. If serving eggs cold, add 1 tray of ice cubes to a large bowl and fill with water.

2. Add 1 inch of water to a large pot. Place steamer insert inside, cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Add eggs to steamer basket, cover, and continue cooking, 6 minutes for soft-boiled eggs or 12 minutes for hard-boiled.

3. Serve immediately if serving hot. If serving cold, immediately place eggs in bowl of ice water and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before peeling.

4. To peel, first gently tap hard-boiled eggs all over to thoroughly crack the shell, then remove shell under a thin stream of running water. (The water helps get under the shell and lift it off the egg.)
All that is much more work than just throwing them in the IP. I don't bother cooling them and don't need to remove the shell under running water and they peel perfect every time.

Afterwards, I just rinse the pot and the steamer insert and it's all done.
Apr 25, 2014
130 posts
93 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
DragonRider wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 1:36 pm
Be careful of microwaving eggs. They tend to explode easily.
Thanks for the warning, I always use the same microwave, with the same amount of eggs and the same time, so I should not get surprises; sometimes one of the eggs breaks, but so far, no explosions... In any case it's work's microwave, so if it explodes, meh! Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
7580 posts
4106 upvotes
North York
Snowcrash01 wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 1:46 pm
All that is much more work than just throwing them in the IP. I don't bother cooling them and don't need to remove the shell under running water and they peel perfect every time.
Eggs are easy to peel if you have already stored it for a long period.
Fresh eggs are supposedly more difficult to peel.
Dec 24, 2017
102 posts
101 upvotes
Kaida9 wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 12:05 pm
They peel soooooooo much easier and no whites stuck to the shell.
3 minutes for runny yolks.
4 minutes for perfect hard boiled eggs.
Interesting never considered that they would be easier to peel
Mar 23, 2017
104 posts
65 upvotes
DragonRider wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 2:01 pm
Eggs are easy to peel if you have already stored it for a long period.
Fresh eggs are supposedly more difficult to peel.
90% of the time I do hard boiled eggs it's for my potato salad recipe, I might let them cool for 30 minutes or so while preparing other ingredients but when I used to do it just in a pot it was always a frustrating mess.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24036 posts
9548 upvotes
Sure it's only $20, but personally I'd rather invest that $20 into a pressure cooker because it does more things.
gr8dlr wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 10:48 am
Don't understand the Instant Pot hard boiled egg fascination.

Please do try the steam method instead. Even soft boiled eggs are peelable.
Why not?
You're basically just pressure steaming them.
Unless someone is actually for some reason using a full pot of water.
I steam eggs in a regular pressure cooker all the time mostly because I don't have a regular steaming setup (at least one that's small enough to be practical for my home stove.
koalajoe wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 11:37 am
I got a similar one for the office and people are happy to make egg salad and sandwiches for lunch.
Does your office smell like egg farts?
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2012
1176 posts
910 upvotes
Hongcouver
I used to think this is the most useless appliance ever, and then I started doing the KETO Diet...... then I realize how convenient an egg cooker is.

For those of you who can't shut up about how useless this is, first of all, you clearly never owned one...
Second of all, throw away your rice cooker, coz you can make rice with a regular pot just as fast as a rice cooker.

Upvote for me, thanks for sharing Op.
CheapBuddy wrote:
Sep 4th, 2013 2:34 pm
thanks you, i like this balls a lot, at Tin Horton... i got balls before at walmart and where all dry and old
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
7580 posts
4106 upvotes
North York
Gutty96 wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 12:20 pm
This is literally the most used thing in our kitchen. My Boys LOVE medium boiled eggs, and love them while they are still warm.
Yes especially if you have young kids, I highly recommend giving this a try. It'll make breakfast preparation so much easier.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24036 posts
9548 upvotes
DealPanda wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 2:51 pm
For those of you who can't shut up about how useless this is, first of all, you clearly never owned one...
I have owned one actually. Ended up tossing it when I moved because it was taking up space when I switched to pressure cooking eggs.
Second of all, throw away your rice cooker, coz you can make rice with a regular pot just as fast as a rice cooker.
Same deal. Switched to a pot when I moved then to a pressure cooker.
I started doing the KETO Diet...... then I realize how convenient an egg cooker is.
I don't know how many eggs are involved in a keto diet, but my 6qt can do like 15 eggs racked and FAR more just sitting inside stacked.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
7037 posts
1740 upvotes
DragonRider wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 3:43 pm
Yes especially if you have young kids, I highly recommend giving this a try. It'll make breakfast preparation so much easier.
Yup. Wifey laughed when I bought it, now she uses it more than anyone.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
7474 posts
2688 upvotes
Markham
Snowcrash01 wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 1:46 pm

Since I don't use the Instant Pot method:
Questions: How much water do you use? Trivet or no trivet, Do you bring water to a boil and then add eggs or do you use cold water and eggs + manual pressure at same time? how do you time eggs in the IP...is it manual high pressure, isn't there some variation in time to pressure depending on amount of water/eggs? Natural release or quick.

If you boil the water and then add eggs into the IP, it's really the same as steaming, in which case you aren't really instant pot'ing.

I really don't think steam method is more work. Take any pot you have, add 1 inch of water, put on stove with trivet, bring water to boil [or add boiling hot water to 1 inch level of the pot] => add eggs and hit timer according to doneness preference. Timer rings, turn off heat and run eggs under cold water [eggs under water is not required but if you're making anything but hard boiled ie soft/medium boiled eggs you want to stop cooking immediately], There is absolute precision in the timing...it's not only about the peel (steamed is also easy peel) it's more about the exact doneness to me.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!