Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Starfrit Securimax Auto Can Opener (45% off) - $9.97

  • Last Updated:
  • May 31st, 2020 9:44 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 1, 2009
1952 posts
3526 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Starfrit Securimax Auto Can Opener (45% off) - $9.97

This Starfrit 093008 Securimax Auto Can Opener in Grey is at its lowest price to date on Amazon: $9.97. Note: this is an Amazon.ca "Add-on" item, meaning to get free shipping your cart must have at least $25 before checkout even for Prime users.

This can opener is widely reviewed as one of the best can openers on the market, even compared to electric openers. My family replaced our electric opener with this one years back and have been very satisfied. This opens a can by gripping it from the top, not the side. Doing so allows it to take the top and top edges of the can off, leaving no sharp edges to deal with like a traditional opener. Because of this you can even put the lid back on and it'll somewhat seal again for storage in the fridge (for a limited time). See the video below for an example in use.

Image
41 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 13, 2007
1170 posts
132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Best can opener I have ever used! We got it at Walmart couple of months ago for the same price
Newbie
Nov 27, 2017
32 posts
104 upvotes
t_mo_t wrote: Best can opener I have ever used! We got it at Walmart couple of months ago for the same price
I second this.
Also bought it from Walmart during that deal

Great minds think alike!
Member
User avatar
Jan 1, 2007
473 posts
49 upvotes
nobatterygiven wrote: I second this.
Also bought it from Walmart during that deal

Great minds think alike!
I agree! Best can opener ever. Paid $15 though. Pensive Face
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 23, 2004
12151 posts
141663 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

Wow, I got it for 15$ last year during Prime Day. :P

Ju Leon...
Newbie
Oct 20, 2009
46 posts
16 upvotes
GTA
Best can opener ever! Cant ever go back to using the traditional one
Member
Jan 25, 2010
264 posts
323 upvotes
Winnipeg
Only downside of these is the lid doesn't fit inside to drain the items such as tuna / legumes, other than that a great can opener.
Sr. Member
May 29, 2008
778 posts
302 upvotes
Hamilton
I had this can opening a long time ago and I hated it. I may have gotten a defective one but it wouldn't open anything. It couldn't clamp on and you can't adjust that aspect of it at all.

IMO, the MightiCan and Little Beaver are much better can openers. Even if you got a Securimax that worked perfectly as intended, the removal of the top comes naturally on the MightiCan and Little Beaver, while the Securimax is awkward and more work with the gripper. The MightiCan and Little Beaver just hold the top of the can to the can opener after you finish a full cut, and you release it by opening the handles.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 1, 2009
1952 posts
3526 upvotes
IanHam wrote: Only downside of these is the lid doesn't fit inside to drain the items such as tuna / legumes, other than that a great can opener.
While the lid doesn't fit inside, its still easy to drain liquids by holding the lid with a finger and holding upside down at an angle... the lack of sharp edges makes it pretty simple and safe to do so. I agree with you when it comes to tuna and the like where you may want to squeeze the juice out of something more than drain it, however.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 1, 2009
1952 posts
3526 upvotes
toomuchpie wrote: I had this can opening a long time ago and I hated it. I may have gotten a defective one but it wouldn't open anything. It couldn't clamp on and you can't adjust that aspect of it at all.

IMO, the MightiCan and Little Beaver are much better can openers. Even if you got a Securimax that worked perfectly as intended, the removal of the top comes naturally on the MightiCan and Little Beaver, while the Securimax is awkward and more work with the gripper. The MightiCan and Little Beaver just hold the top of the can to the can opener after you finish a full cut, and you release it by opening the handles.
You must have gotten a defective unit as we haven't had any issues opening anything with ours for the couple years we've had one. With my early onset arthritis this Securimax (who comes up with these over the top branding names!?) makes opening cans easy as it does the gripping I sometimes cannot. I had a MightiCan before and it was too hard to squeeze some days. I'd highly recommend the Securimax for anyone, but even more so for those with hand issues and definately children.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 13, 2015
3741 posts
3762 upvotes
Alberta
I have a similar starfrit can opener. To drain tuna, I simply press one half of the lid down into the can, then rotate 180 degrees and press down into the opposite side. I'm always able to drain it dry using this method.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Dec 23, 2003
14962 posts
3330 upvotes
Toronto
Why do they call it an AUTO can opener? I was expecting something that was battery operated and you press a button to remove the lid. This is pretty much like other handheld openers where you turn the knob to open a can.

Decent product but the AUTO label is misleading.
Car Batteries - FAQ, General Information, Tips & Tricks

Car Buying Tips & Tricks

My Cell Phone Providers: Koodo Mobile and Zoomer Wireless
Sr. Member
User avatar
May 26, 2011
835 posts
188 upvotes
Montreal
joshmxpx wrote: Hint: Paper Mario doesn't come out until July...
Yeah, I definitely love my pre-orders when it comes to add-on items Smiling Face With Sunglasses

Top