[Amazon Canada] Sun Joe Lawn Dethatcher $163.95 WARM

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2019 11:08 am
[OP]
Jan 18, 2017
216 posts
161 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] Sun Joe Lawn Dethatcher $163.95 WARM

I’ve been waiting for this dethatcher to go back on sale to the $140 mark but at least it’s drop enough for me to pick it up before the seasons up just in time for fall cleanup and reseeding.

WARM deal since it did go down to $140 four months ago but I couldn’t keep waiting because I needed it for fall.

$226 on Home Depot
Normally $189.99 on amazon.ca

Hope it can help others in similar situations
62 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
1484 posts
786 upvotes
Kitchener
Not sure why the downvote.

But yes this is only warm, but good for the person that needs it.

Works great, but lil bag is useless
Jul 28, 2010
493 posts
404 upvotes
Montreal
Lawn is all dried up and can't be revived by watering. Should I dethatch and reseed now or wait for Fall, if want it back green for next year?
Feb 7, 2016
265 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto, ON
klamyo wrote:
Aug 12th, 2019 6:55 am
Lawn is all dried up and can't be revived by watering. Should I dethatch and reseed now or wait for Fall, if want it back green for next year?
don't worry, the grass will come back next year!
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
2813 posts
12229 upvotes
Saint-Eustache
For those who are reseeding in fall, any specific seed you can recommend or should i make a visit to my local gardening center?

are you testing your ph level before reseeding?
Rogers Unlimited Province, 7gb $39/month! Thanks RFD!!
Jun 27, 2012
744 posts
1075 upvotes
Bought this 4 months ago when it was $139. Haven't really used it yet, but tested it on a strip of my lawn. Holy it pulls up a lot of dead grass. I'm planning to use it on my entire lawn mid-September and overseed after.
2010-2019 Contest Winnings = $0
Sep 7, 2014
721 posts
784 upvotes
Gud Ol' Ontariuh Boy
Rlcky wrote:
Aug 12th, 2019 9:14 am
For those who are reseeding in fall, any specific seed you can recommend or should i make a visit to my local gardening center?
I used a TSC in-house mix (one of the more expensive ones) and with some soil, fertilizer and watering about twice a day for two weeks it EXPLODED. I was seriously shocked with how well it came up and how thick.
My mix:
1 (almost full leveled off) wheelbarrow of soil
2 yogurt containers of the seed (this size)
1 yogurt container of spring fertilizer
Mixed it all up and spread where needed.
Rlcky wrote:
Aug 12th, 2019 9:14 am
are you testing your ph level before reseeding?
I personally didn't.
Jan 31, 2018
402 posts
653 upvotes
Winnipeg
Just as an alternative, I picked up the Greenworks sort-of-equivalent (14in, 10A, no bag) for $90 from Walmart. Unfortunately, I can't find it on the website right now, so it is very YMMV for local stock, but might be worth a look...
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1357 posts
144 upvotes
Lévis
Saukrates wrote:
Aug 12th, 2019 10:02 am
Bought this 4 months ago when it was $139. Haven't really used it yet, but tested it on a strip of my lawn. Holy it pulls up a lot of dead grass. I'm planning to use it on my entire lawn mid-September and overseed after.
Isn't it better to leave that so if feed your soil?
Pourquoi pas?
Jan 31, 2018
402 posts
653 upvotes
Winnipeg
SPARTACVS wrote:
Aug 12th, 2019 11:08 am
Isn't it better to leave that so if feed your soil?
No. The whole point of dethatching is to remove the dead rhizomes and grass blades that are low quality organic material with no nutrients. They present a barrier to healthy new grass, and add no value as fertilizer.
Jun 27, 2012
744 posts
1075 upvotes
simplypop wrote:
Aug 12th, 2019 11:29 am
How often should someone dethatch?
I read you should only do it once every 1-2 years or when the thatch gets to a certain thickness.
2010-2019 Contest Winnings = $0
Sep 15, 2015
243 posts
158 upvotes
Mooooonnn
klamyo wrote:
Aug 12th, 2019 6:55 am
It is normal that the lawn will go dormant during summer drought and it will come back by themselves during fall when temperature drops and more rain comes.

The best time to reseed is fall, if your issue is more than dried up, such as patches, or weeding, I would suggest address the issue in late Aug, and do the aeration dethatchinh and top dressing and overseed it in early fall. Otherwise just wait and see it comes back.

Lastly dethatch should not be done frequently, maybe once every 2-3 years, check the thickness of the thatched layer probably give you a good idea. Core aeration can done frequently (1-2 times a year) before over-seeding.
Last edited by anshiren on Aug 12th, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One punch, ouch man
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
2813 posts
12229 upvotes
Saint-Eustache
ChippewaBarr wrote:
Aug 12th, 2019 10:07 am
I used a TSC in-house mix (one of the more expensive ones) and with some soil, fertilizer and watering about twice a day for two weeks it EXPLODED. I was seriously shocked with how well it came up and how thick.
My mix:
1 (almost full leveled off) wheelbarrow of soil
2 yogurt containers of the seed (this size)
1 yogurt container of spring fertilizer
Mixed it all up and spread where needed.

I personally didn't.
you didn't use starter fertilizer?

We don't have TSC in QC, what's the percentage mix of your seed (Kentucky\Red and Ryegrass)
Rogers Unlimited Province, 7gb $39/month! Thanks RFD!!