• Sep 1st, 2020 6:52 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3739 posts
2346 upvotes
SW ON

Amazon.ca switched to British English?

Before a few days ago the emails from Amazon always said "Your Amazon.ca order has shipped." Now I get "Your Amazon.ca order ... has been dispatched."
27 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4363 upvotes
alpovs wrote: Before a few days ago the emails from Amazon always said "Your Amazon.ca order has shipped." Now I get "Your Amazon.ca order ... has been dispatched."
It's just Amazon appeasing to a certain type of stubborn Canadian you'll see in this old thread, to try to make you forget they're an American company:

anyone-else-much-prefer-using-american- ... s-2340158/

Similarly my Android phone has the flashlight icon labelled "Torch"...definitely the British word for it.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2006
1065 posts
774 upvotes
Ottawa
Well... the language is English, not American. Now excuse me while I relax on my chesterfield with a cup of tea.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
2340 posts
2614 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Who cares? Who even notices stuff like this? British english is real english anyways. I've seen many carriers use the word dispatched from years ago, it isn't uncommon...
😎Thanks RFD😎
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3739 posts
2346 upvotes
SW ON
First, this website has a problem with its security certificate: "Invalid name of certificate. Either the name is not on the allowed list, or was explicitly excluded."

Second I ordered something from the UK Amazon a couple of years ago. The exact subject of shipping email was "Your Amazon.co.uk order of "..." has been dispatched". And the email body had this: "Dispatch Confirmation".

Don't trust random websites.

And... "the American version, and it retains the standard form used since the 1500s." LOL! I refer you to the American history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_o ... lonization First settlements that started to appear in the 1500s were Spanish, Dutch, French, Swedish. British settlements started from the 1600s.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3739 posts
2346 upvotes
SW ON
blackbirdman wrote: Who cares? Who even notices stuff like this? British english is real english anyways. I've seen many carriers use the word dispatched from years ago, it isn't uncommon...
I have never seen "dispatch" being used in the US or Canada. Not in emails, anyway. Maybe I am not old enough.

Real english is English :)
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
11015 posts
5996 upvotes
Markham
alpovs wrote: Before a few days ago the emails from Amazon always said "Your Amazon.ca order has shipped." Now I get "Your Amazon.ca order ... has been dispatched."
Did you get shipping tracking number? Someone mentioned before "dispatched" might mean the package is in the near warehouse, not necessarily in carrier's hand
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
23853 posts
19659 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
alpovs wrote: First, this website has a problem with its security certificate: "Invalid name of certificate. Either the name is not on the allowed list, or was explicitly excluded."
Who cares? I'm not going to do e-commerce with them or providing any personal information.

In any case I got there by doing a Google search on "dispatch vs. despatch." There are lots of other results that provide essentially the same etymology. Feel free to use one of them.
Second I ordered something from the UK Amazon a couple of years ago. The exact subject of shipping email was "Your Amazon.co.uk order of "..." has been dispatched". And the email body had this: "Dispatch Confirmation".
Both forms of the word are valid and in use in the UK. Perhaps Amazon wanted to use a term that would be more familiar to non-UK shoppers, e.g. those in other EU countries.
Don't trust random websites.
I don't. That's why I looked at other Google search results. I posted from the one I did because their answer was concise and to the point.
And... "the American version, and it retains the standard form used since the 1500s." LOL! I refer you to the American history:
There's no need to be nasty or patronizing.

Now, since you're looking for a reason why Amazon switched from "shipped" to "dispatched," consider "As nouns the difference between shipment and dispatch is that shipment is a load of goods that is transported by any method (not just by ship) while dispatch is a message sent quickly, as a shipment, a prompt settlement of a business, or an important official message sent by a diplomat, or military officer.

As a verb dispatch is to send a shipment with promptness.
"

Based on these distinctions, Amazon's choice of "dispatch" over "shipped" seems more professional and more accurate.
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2013
3739 posts
2346 upvotes
SW ON
smartie wrote: Did you get shipping tracking number? Someone mentioned before "dispatched" might mean the package is in the near warehouse, not necessarily in carrier's hand
Yes, every Amazon shipping email comes with a tracking number. At least for as long as I remember.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
36403 posts
22562 upvotes
Center of Universe
Language setting?

My recent shipping notification doesn't use the word dispatch.

"Hello Vkizzle,

Thank you for shopping with us. We thought you'd like to know that your item has shipped, and that this completes your order. Your order is on its way, and can no longer be changed. If you need to return an item from this shipment or manage other orders, please visit Your Orders on Amazon.ca."
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
23853 posts
19659 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
vkizzle wrote: Language setting?

My recent shipping notification doesn't use the word dispatch.

"Hello Vkizzle,

Thank you for shopping with us. We thought you'd like to know that your item has shipped, and that this completes your order. Your order is on its way, and can no longer be changed. If you need to return an item from this shipment or manage other orders, please visit Your Orders on Amazon.ca."
What does the Subject of your email say?

Mine reads, "Your Amazon.ca order #702-182****-047**** of 2 items has been dispatched"

But the body reads, "We thought you'd like to know that your items have shipped,... "
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
36403 posts
22562 upvotes
Center of Universe
bylo wrote: What does the Subject of your email say?

Mine reads, "Your Amazon.ca order #702-182****-047**** of 2 items has been dispatched"

But the body reads, "We thought you'd like to know that your items have shipped,... "
"Your Amazon.ca order of "..." has shipped!"
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
19385 posts
17071 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Our Amazon.ca account is set to English / Canada
Most recent orders (this month)
Are worded the same as they’ve been in the past
Both Subject Line & Email body
“Your Amazon Order has shipped ... “
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
23853 posts
19659 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
PointsHubby wrote: Both Subject Line & Email body
“Your Amazon Order has shipped ... “
And yet...

So yeah, it's weird. FWIW the items in question were "sold by [3rd party], fulfilled by Amazon." I thought that might be significant. So I checked another order that was "Ships from and sold by Amazon.ca." Its email used the same terminology.

Also as I recall one package came by Intelcomm and another by Canada Post.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
11015 posts
5996 upvotes
Markham
bylo wrote: And yet...

So yeah, it's weird. FWIW the items in question were "sold by [3rd party], fulfilled by Amazon." I thought that might be significant. So I checked another order that was "Ships from and sold by Amazon.ca." Its email used the same terminology.

Also as I recall one package came by Intelcomm and another by Canada Post.
So could third party instead amazon sent message?
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
13825 posts
10985 upvotes
GTA, ON
?

This thread should be filed under 'who cares'

The most important thing is that your package is on it's way, shipped, dispatched, sent or carried, regardless of the language.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
11015 posts
5996 upvotes
Markham
chimaican wrote: ?

This thread should be filed under 'who cares'

The most important thing is that your package is on it's way, shipped, dispatched, sent or carried, regardless of the language.
Fair enough

But could we have a little bit fun and curiosity?
Dec 8, 2009
633 posts
657 upvotes
I don't see a problem, I buy all my trousers and torches from Amazon.