• Oct 14th, 2020 8:26 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2582 posts
2293 upvotes
Montreal

[Amazon.ca] Synology 5bay NAS DS1019+ $700

DS1019+, Synology 5 Bay NAS, 8GB RAM, $700 sold and shipped by Amazon.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07NF9XDWG

Excellent model, lowest price ever by far according to CCC.

This is not for people who would enjoy building their own from scratch.
32 replies
Sep 23, 2014
125 posts
185 upvotes
Oakville
Got this unit for about $800 from Newegg via eBay in July. Fantastic unit, would recommend to anyone. I have 5X 4TB IronWolfs and 2x 480GB NVMe cache drives.
Sep 9, 2014
622 posts
492 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Thank you OP! Missed yesterday's Newegg 699$ deal. First come, 5 left!
May 10, 2006
89 posts
78 upvotes
Toronto
I was in the market for a NAS. I didn't really want to spend so much but ... Ordered! Haha thanks Op!
Sep 9, 2014
622 posts
492 upvotes
Montreal, QC
whileheavenwept wrote: I was in the market for a NAS. I didn't really want to spend so much but ... Ordered! Haha thanks Op!
I bought the Synology 2Bay NAS for $150. It has 1-core processor and 800Mb RAM. It's BAD - super slow! I mainly use the NAS for storage and viewing movies, and yet it's super slow! dell-ca-synology-ds216se-2-bay-nas-165-99-a-2011501/

Trust me, if you need a NAS, get a good one and it'll last you a while! I believe it can easily last you 10 years without the need to upgrade.
Last edited by ericli007 on Oct 8th, 2020 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2003
2271 posts
765 upvotes
looks like this is on sale because it's discontinued for a newer model that isn't significantly better. DS920+ isn't significantly better than ds918+ either. I'd call that hot
Last edited by Loomy on Oct 8th, 2020 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
3824 posts
2352 upvotes
Toronto
ericli007 wrote: I bought the Synology 2Bay NAS for $150. It has 1-core processor and 800Mb RAM. It's BAD - super slow! I mainly use the NAS for storage and viewing movies, and yet it's super slow!
Trust me, if you need a NAS, get a good one and it'll last you a while! I believe it can easily last you 10 years without the need to upgrade.
it's a great price, but it all depends on needs - if you are just using this to stream and hardware transcode for plex, it's extreme overkill

however if you plan to use it for docker, automation, VMs, managing surveillance cameras, etc. and will actually populate and utilize all the drive bays, knock yourself out this is a no brainer
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2582 posts
2293 upvotes
Montreal
apattee wrote: 2x 480GB NVMe cache drives.
Be careful, this could cause a problem because consumer NVMe drives are not meant for caching and so may fail causing data loss.

Remedies: 1, use read only cache, not read write. 2- even if you do #1, be sure to provision cache to half or even a third of drive size. So a 480GB drive could yield 150GB cache.

This is to avoid premature death by write amplification. Technical details available by googling.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2522 posts
2402 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
This is a great price... I'm tempted to upgrade my 2 bay one. These units are great little docker servers.
FrancisBacon wrote: Be careful, this could cause a problem because consumer NVMe drives are not meant for caching and so may fail causing data loss.

Remedies: 1, use read only cache, not read write. 2- even if you do #1, be sure to provision cache to half or even a third of drive size. So a 480GB drive could yield 150GB cache.

This is to avoid premature death by write amplification. Technical details available by googling.
It's frustrating how Synology doesn't let you disable caching and use those SSD slots as normal storage. Someone hacked it together but its not really stable or a longterm solution.
Sep 9, 2014
622 posts
492 upvotes
Montreal, QC
chadw01 wrote: it's a great price, but it all depends on needs - if you are just using this to stream and hardware transcode for plex, it's extreme overkill

however if you plan to use it for docker, automation, VMs, managing surveillance cameras, etc. and will actually populate and utilize all the drive bays, knock yourself out this is a no brainer
Thank you for educating me. I did think it was overkill too lol.
I'll read up more on your suggestions and see what else I can do with it. In the meantime, I think it's a HOT deal and don't want to miss on this golden opportunity.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2003
9339 posts
1509 upvotes
Richmond Hill
sold out, that's fast. wallet safe for me Smiling Face With Open Mouth
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2582 posts
2293 upvotes
Montreal