Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Tactical Flashlight 14.97$

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2020 6:34 am
May 28, 2007
349 posts
328 upvotes
CALGARY
Richfields wrote: Looking for a reasonably affordable and consistent quality 18650 battery. Anyone have a good site/source? I have also experienced inconsistencies in quality and capacity.
I break open the broken battery packs from power tools, vacuums or whatever.
These packs are made of 4 to20 18650 cells and most of them are still good. If the pack is genuine OEM, the cells are usually decent quality Samsung/LG/Sony

Edit: Don't electrocute yourself. These packs can potentially deliver really high current so treat it as if you were wiring a live 120V outlet.
Last edited by milkmilk on Aug 10th, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
2751 posts
2992 upvotes
archon6784 wrote: The pic in review represents Cree XM-L or something similar, like Chinese imitation product. In that case, it could reach 1000Lm, as long as you don't mind it gets hot. And if they do wanna cut budget, they could use some old-fashioned "driver" solutions such as AMC7135.
The thing I'm more concerned about is the battery, as "Ultrafire" itself is not a reputable brand, and you can find those heat shrink tubes at almost no cost...so only god knows what batteries it is.
There is only one photo in the reviews, and it shows a square shape of the emitter. Kinda thin ground to conclude that it is a Cree XM-L or imitation.
Also, LED emitters used in these cheap flashlights are often "bottom bin" or even QC rejects from LED manufacturers. As such, 1000 lumens will definitely be out of reach (according to Cree's own specifications, a genuine and top-bin Cree XM-L T6 emitter driven at 1000mA can only produce maximum 338 Lumens). It they used the AMC7135 current regulator chip (which you mentioned), rated for 350mA constant sink current, the output would barely exceed 100 lumens...
Last edited by ahoroba on Aug 10th, 2020 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
PR0BLEMZ wrote: Can someone recommend me a better flashlight? Going camping this week and need something durable and long lasting.
Don’t bother with this cheap shit, especially with supplied 18650 batteries. 18650 fires are no joke. Lumintop Tool is a great light and can use 14500 cell as well if you want more lumens. Also comes with a diffuser so would be extremely handy for camping.

Lumintop Tool 2.0
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
3793 posts
2427 upvotes
West Coast
milkmilk wrote: I break open the broken battery packs from power tools, vacuums or whatever.
These packs are made of 4 to20 18650 cells and most of them are still good. If the pack is genuine OEM, the cells are usually decent quality Samsung/LG/Sony

Edit: Don't electrocute yourself. These packs can potentially deliver really high current so treat it as if you were wiring a live 120V outlet.
Interesting, never thought about that.

I have all Ridgid stuff, so my batteries have a lifetime warranty, which means the dead ones get exchanged for new ones so I can't carve any open. I like the idea though.
Please don't ask or beg for "thanks". Don't act like this is Facebook. If someone found your post helpful, let them decide if they want to make that click. The more you beg, the less you'll get. Cheers
Nov 4, 2014
448 posts
457 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ahoroba wrote: There is only one photo in the reviews, and it shows a square shape of the emitter. Kinda thin ground to conclude that it is a Cree XM-L or imitation.
Also, LED emitters used in these cheap flashlights are often "bottom bin" or even QC rejects from LED manufacturers. As such, 1000 lumens will definitely be out of reach (according to Cree's own specifications, a genuine and top-bin Cree XM-L T6 emitter driven at 1000mA can only produce maximum 338 Lumens). You mentioned the AMC7135 current regulator chip, which is rated for 350mA constant sink current...
1A is just for high efficiency, but not the maximum current for this led, I've had mine at 2.8A with no problem...yes, it's hot.
And if you check Cree's site, "Maximum Drive Current" is labeled at 3A. https://www.cree.com/led-components/pro ... xlamp-xm-l
Jun 8, 2008
724 posts
182 upvotes
I want a strategy flashlight. Tactical sounds short term...
Nov 4, 2014
448 posts
457 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ahoroba wrote: There is only one photo in the reviews, and it shows a square shape of the emitter. Kinda thin ground to conclude that it is a Cree XM-L or imitation.
Also, LED emitters used in these cheap flashlights are often "bottom bin" or even QC rejects from LED manufacturers. As such, 1000 lumens will definitely be out of reach (according to Cree's own specifications, a genuine and top-bin Cree XM-L T6 emitter driven at 1000mA can only produce maximum 338 Lumens). It they used the AMC7135 current regulator chip (which you mentioned), rated for 350mA constant sink current, the output would barely exceed 100 lumens...
And also, AMC 7135 could be stacked......one for 350mA (Kinda remember there's different versions, from 315mA to whatever), two for 700mA, three for......
For example, this attached pic (from google) has four 7135s
Images
  • 7135.jpg
Feb 11, 2019
420 posts
457 upvotes
ON
Richfields wrote: Interesting, never thought about that.

I have all Ridgid stuff, so my batteries have a lifetime warranty, which means the dead ones get exchanged for new ones so I can't carve any open. I like the idea though.
Could try cracking open a spare Tesla, the energy density on those 18650s is about as high as you can get
Feb 13, 2008
606 posts
684 upvotes
Hamilton
PR0BLEMZ wrote: Can someone recommend me a better flashlight? Going camping this week and need something durable and long lasting.
If you have Prime to get it before the weekend:
I have this and it's amazing. Great quality and bright. - https://www.amazon.ca/ThruNite%C2%AE-TN ... ref=sr_1_2

This is a nice little flashlight and it will be reliable - O-Light is a good name brand.
https://www.amazon.ca/Olight%C2%AE-Flas ... ast_sto_dp
Nov 4, 2014
448 posts
457 upvotes
Toronto, ON
overtask wrote: Could try cracking open a spare Tesla, the energy density on those 18650s is about as high as you can get
18650 and 21700 as well.
And people actually do use those Tesla batteries. Don't think they would have spare Tesla, but could be some rejected units from the line or testing units too.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2004
2069 posts
1026 upvotes
Nepean
Stay away from any seller that describes their product as tactical, unless you are actually buying military grade equipment. There are so many better options than this, especially if you want reliability and longevity. Buy a good light once, not cheap ones every year. If you want to know more about flashlights, hang out at CandlePowerForums

I suspect most reviews are fake, especially since the first one that some up says: " ...this is the first time that I've had the honour and privilege of dealing with this seller, and I must say that, like Long Run Technologies, E Tronic Edge has been added to one of the places I'd definitely come again and purchase with pride! " Who has an honor and privilege of dealing with an amazon reseller? The rest of the review doesn't get any better.
Wrocky
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Wrocky wrote: Stay away from any seller that describes their product as tactical, unless you are actually buying military grade equipment. There are so many better options than this, especially if you want reliability and longevity. Buy a good light once, not cheap ones every year. If you want to know more about flashlights, hang out at CandlePowerForums

I suspect most reviews are fake, especially since the first one that some up says: " ...this is the first time that I've had the honour and privilege of dealing with this seller, and I must say that, like Long Run Technologies, E Tronic Edge has been added to one of the places I'd definitely come again and purchase with pride! " Who has an honor and privilege of dealing with an amazon reseller? The rest of the review doesn't get any better.
I find CPF way too slow now unless one is going there for specific manufacturers or for customer lights. Budgetlightforums is a much better place, especially for Anduril based lights.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2008
1126 posts
1793 upvotes
Blips & Chitz
alexttp wrote: For camping, I would recommend a headlamp. Keeps your hands free. There are some pocket flashlights that come with an attachable "rigging" to turn them into headlights too, when needed, but they all look pretty awkward to me.
Do yourself a favour and stick to dedicated tools. Headlamp + pocket light (just in case) + a lantern for those late-night smores ;-)
As for a concrete model, it doesn't really matter. If you are an occasional camper, staying outdoors for 2-3 nights at a time, 2-3 times per season - anything would do. Even battery life doesn't matter too much in this scenario, 3 AAA batteries should be good for a couple of hours for 2-3 evenings. Just make sure you have fresh/recharged ones before heading out.
Also, you can always head to a sporting goods store (such as SAIL, MEC, Cabela's, Bass Pro, etc.) and try a few on, just to get a better idea of what you may like, what fits your head better, and so on.
Nailed it.

Headlamp all the way. I've been rockin this set for almost a decade now for car camping. Highly recommend if you're only using it occasionally. Plenty of light for in/around the tent and trips to the can. Won't easily blind others. I keep one in my truck for "just in case" use.
Jun 28, 2015
24 posts
8 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Wrocky wrote: I suspect most reviews are fake, especially since the first one that some up says: " ...this is the first time that I've had the honour and privilege of dealing with this seller, and I must say that, like Long Run Technologies, E Tronic Edge has been added to one of the places I'd definitely come again and purchase with pride! " Who has an honor and privilege of dealing with an amazon reseller? The rest of the review doesn't get any better.
Wow. That review is laying it on super thick! Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
2812 posts
3878 upvotes
Any recommendations around $10 for a super bright flashlight?