Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] TaoTronics 4L Cool Mist Ultrasonic Humidifier $48.74 ($44.83 after 8% ebates)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2019 12:50 pm
May 30, 2017
317 posts
121 upvotes
nosnoop wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 11:43 am
Just a word of caution about ultrasonic humidifier.

Ultrasonic humidifier works very well as a humidifier, and maybe too well.
It throws basically everything from the water into the air - including all the minerals (causing white dust), any contaminants or toxins in the water, bacteria and viruses.

So make sure you use clean water (distilled water recommended), change the filter regularly, and clean the humidifier regularly to prevent bacteria and mold growing.

I personally prefer the steam or evaporation type which are safer (though the steam type may be a problem if you have young kids in the house).
What are the consequences if you don't clean it all the time? Could you get for example a flu from the virus in the water as the worse outcome?
May 30, 2017
317 posts
121 upvotes
nosnoop wrote:

It throws basically everything from the water into the air - including all the minerals (causing white dust), any contaminants or toxins in the water, bacteria and viruses.

So make sure you use clean water (distilled water recommended), change the filter regularly, and clean the humidifier regularly to prevent bacteria and mold growing.

I personally prefer the steam or evaporation type which are safer (though the steam type may be a problem if you have young kids in the house).
What are the consequences if you don't clean it all the time? Could you get for example a flu from the virus in the water as the worse outcome?
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2111 posts
344 upvotes
arcty5 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 12:25 pm
Yes, the EPA has found that ultrasonic humidifiers tend to spread biological material more than evaporative humidifiers, so not cleaning your humidifier regularly could potentially create a risk of worsening your environment.

That being said, run some vinegar through your humidifier with some water (or as the manufacturer recommends) once a week and you should be ok.

Personally I find the evaporative coolers get grosser much faster due to the higher heat and actually need cleaning more often.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2012
1205 posts
1003 upvotes
Hongcouver
spiralspirit wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 12:38 pm
Yes, the EPA has found that ultrasonic humidifiers tend to spread biological material more than evaporative humidifiers, so not cleaning your humidifier regularly could potentially create a risk of worsening your environment.

That being said, run some vinegar through your humidifier with some water (or as the manufacturer recommends) once a week and you should be ok.

Personally I find the evaporative coolers get grosser much faster due to the higher heat and actually need cleaning more often.
When you say "Run some vinegar through your humidifier with some water", does that mean actually turning it on? or just letting it sit in the container? I have tempted to do this many many many many many many times but I was worried I was going to kill the machine (and of course, I am a typical man, so I never read the manual and it was in the trash within seconds of unpacking........................)
CheapBuddy wrote:
Sep 4th, 2013 2:34 pm
thanks you, i like this balls a lot, at Tin Horton... i got balls before at walmart and where all dry and old
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1356 posts
481 upvotes
Toronto
spiralspirit wrote:

Same, the wick gets disgusting a month in, then you start to wonder if you should somehow clean the wick or buy expensive replacement wicks, or DIY some cheap wicks.
I'd suspect the wick ones blows out more mold then ultrasonic ones.
May 30, 2017
317 posts
121 upvotes
spiralspirit wrote:

Would you still need to clean the filter frequent if you add vinegar once a week?
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2111 posts
344 upvotes
DealPanda wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 12:42 pm
When you say "Run some vinegar through your humidifier with some water", does that mean actually turning it on? or just letting it sit in the container? I have tempted to do this many many many many many many times but I was worried I was going to kill the machine (and of course, I am a typical man, so I never read the manual and it was in the trash within seconds of unpacking........................)
My machine (the taotronics higher end one I linked a couple posts back) specifically says to run it with vinegar for 15 minutes (they give how much vinegar/water) to clean it.

It doesn't have a filter.
Nov 4, 2009
206 posts
100 upvotes
Calgary
My girlfriend has had one for about 2 years now. Uses it almost every night. I'd recommend using distilled water if you live somewhere with lots of minerals in your water. It's so loud now that I can't sleep with it on.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
2779 posts
2104 upvotes
Toronto
nosnoop wrote:

yes that is true, i have a xiaomi air purifier 2s that tells me the PM2.5 level in the room on a screen. Whenever I leave this humidifier on all night, the next day it would record a PM2.5 level of over 200! for reference, it is usually under 10 in my room, 150 when I am searing a steak.
Apr 15, 2014
252 posts
64 upvotes
Montreal
It's been on my list for a while.
Thanks OP!
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
2312 posts
645 upvotes
Thornhill
jasonchewy wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 12:43 pm
Same, the wick gets disgusting a month in, then you start to wonder if you should somehow clean the wick or buy expensive replacement wicks, or DIY some cheap wicks.
I'd suspect the wick ones blows out more mold then ultrasonic ones.
No, for evaporative type humidifier, only pure water evaporates. Everything else is left behind - that's why you see all those deposits and gunk on the wick. OTOH, ultrasonic humidifier pumped all those gunk directly into the air.

So for other types of humidifiers (steam or evaporation), maintenance is mainly to keep the machine working well, as scale build up decreases its efficiency. Using distilled water is optional (just to reduce the frequency of maintenance). Contaminants or dirty water won't affect the air.

For ultrasonic humidifier, maintenance is a MUST to prevent bacteria and mold overgrown, and using clean water is also a MUST to prevent inhaling contaminants.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1356 posts
481 upvotes
Toronto
nosnoop wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 3:53 pm
No, for evaporative type humidifier, only pure water evaporates. Everything else is left behind - that's why you see all those deposits and gunk on the wick. OTOH, ultrasonic humidifier pumped all those gunk directly into the air.

So for other types of humidifiers (steam or evaporation), maintenance is mainly to keep the machine working well, as scale build up decreases its efficiency. Using distilled water is optional (just to reduce the frequency of maintenance). Contaminants or dirty water won't affect the air.

For ultrasonic humidifier, maintenance is a MUST to prevent bacteria and mold overgrown, and using clean water is also a MUST to prevent inhaling contaminants.
The evaporative ones I've used has air that blows at the wick (I'd imagine they all do), and I remember one time the wick was so badly molded, as soon as I turn it on, it stinked up the whole room.
Now if only pure water is out in the air, it wouldn't smell that bad.
Not saying you're wrong about the ultrasonic airboring everything in the water. Probably depends on how clean your tap water is.
But those wicks (no matter how antibacterial it is), is a very good incubator for mold. Compared to just smooth plastics of the ultrasonic ones.
So I did find evaporative humidifier requires much more frequent maintenance than ultrasonic.
Both has their pros and cons, just a matter of which you can put up with.
Sep 12, 2007
483 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP, ordered one.

Consumers reports tested the anti-bacterial properties of the different types of humidifiers and provides some insight...

Mar 20, 2016
590 posts
398 upvotes
lowest price is $16.55 on May 31, 2017 as per triple camel
I will pass
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2006
2005 posts
337 upvotes
Anyone know why when using a brand new humidifer my Dyson air purifer says the air goes from great to poor?