Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] TaoTronics Active Noise Cancelling Bluetooth Headphones (TT-BH22)

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9423 posts
450 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] TaoTronics Active Noise Cancelling Bluetooth Headphones (TT-BH22)

With all the headphones threads I read up on "best" headphones lists.
This one often came up as the best budget ANC wireless headphones.

Reviews
https://www.techradar.com/reviews/taotr ... headphones
OUR VERDICT
The Taotronics TT-BH22 offer comfort, long battery life, and good sound for a bargain-bin price. They’re far from refined and its ANC leaves a lot to be desired, but for those looking to get into noise-canceling headphones without breaking the bank, you can’t go wrong with the TT-BH22.
4.3 Stars on amazon.com with over 1,200 reviews
https://www.amazon.com/d/Over-Ear-Headp ... B075CBHN9M
39 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2003
1987 posts
556 upvotes
I’m done with cheap headphones. I just came here to say that.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2006
7864 posts
2743 upvotes
Washington, DC
HailHydra wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 2:13 pm
Chinese seller with paid reviews.
Exactly, stay away
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
1436 posts
259 upvotes
Toronto
Nothing wrong with Chinese headphones/earbuds. Brands like Superlux and KZ offer great products for the price.

Having said that, I never tested these. Best to cross reference with Head-Fi or r/headphones before ruling it out because it's Chinese.
Feb 11, 2016
305 posts
196 upvotes
DarkReaper wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 2:27 pm
Nothing wrong with Chinese headphones/earbuds. Brands like Superlux and KZ offer great products for the price.

Having said that, I never tested these. Best to cross reference with Head-Fi or r/headphones before ruling it out because it's Chinese.
I used to hang out/post on head-fi and /r/headphones. It is a place for rettarded audiophiles. The same group of people keep posting non-stop for years. Some threads have more than 1000's of posts. All of those posts are about claims of soundstage, imaging and audiophile qualities that don't any scientific evidence behind them.

STAY AWAY FROM THOSE WEBSITES

rtings.com is a Canadian website that provides objective reviews and allows you to compare different headphones. It is my only source for audio news right now.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
1436 posts
259 upvotes
Toronto
frugalfruit wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 2:34 pm
I used to hang out/post on head-fi and /r/headphones. It is a place for rettarded audiophiles. The same group of people keep posting non-stop for years. Some threads have more than 1000's of posts. All of those posts are about claims of soundstage, imaging and audiophile qualities that don't any scientific evidence behind them.

STAY AWAY FROM THOSE WEBSITES

rtings.com is a Canadian website that provides objective reviews and allows you to compare different headphones. It is my only source for audio news right now.
Rtings is a good option too. Not sure what you have against an active community, and why you feel the need to blanket entire communities in such a way. There are many posts that involve frequency responses if you want a science behind it.

Keep an open mind. The best thing to do is to compare multiple reviews and see what overlaps.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2008
1784 posts
542 upvotes
I gave OP thumbs up. IMO, the benefit of Amazon headphones is that you can try and return them-to my knowledge. You cant' do that with Bestbuy
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
1940 posts
1429 upvotes
Vancouver
The Tao's are surprisingly good, though I ended up returning them and keeping my SoundCore (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07H96 ... UTF8&psc=1) as I managed to get them for $79.99.

That being said, I would've kept the Tao's vs paying $95 for the Soundcore Life 2's.

Both of them had decent NC, and pretty clear audio.

I use the Sony WH-900N as my main NC pair, but if I am out in the rain with the dog, or travelling, I use the SoundCores, the Tao's would be perfect for that as well.

I had also tried:
https://www.primecables.ca/p-368926-cab ... headphones

And they were absolute and utter garbage, I could not return them fast enough. The Tao or the Soundcores are 1000x better than the shit prime cables ones.

Overall, you will be happy for $59 for a throw-around pair of ANC cans.

Also to the idiots saying 'Chinese Seller' pretending like that is the only thing that matters - who gives a shit, it's fullfilled by amazon. You get 100% of amazons protection and coverage and returns. There is literally 0 risk to this, even if for some reason you think every single review out there is fake, there is no risk to trying yourself than a small bit of hassle to return them worst case. But there is nothing else in this price sector that compares beyond the Tao TH22 and the Soundcore Life 2. That's it.
Last edited by evanwier on Jan 28th, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 8, 2008
377 posts
377 upvotes
My honest review, after recently (over the holiday season) shopping for mid-range Bluetooth ANC headphones:

For $60, these aren't bad. Anything from a name brand in the $120-150 range (sale prices - namely, the Sennheiser HD 4.50 BTNC, the Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2, Sony XB-950N1) are going to be better in every way, but not two times better.

The ANC works decently well. It reduces office HVAC noises, the din of traffic, and plane engine noise by about 70-80%, subjectively. It cancels lows and mids better than it cancels treble, and it does introduce white noise that's noticeable. Still, I like having it and it's a useful feature. My Bose QC15's are better though.

Sound quality is decent for $60. I enjoy listening to music on these. The abovementioned headphones all sound slightly better in various ways, but honestly for my use (office, commute, occasional plane) it doesn't matter a ton. Turning on the ANC does impact the sound quality, enough that in a quiet environment I don't use ANC. The trade-off is still well worth it wherever there's some background noise though.

There is no aptX so if you're looking for high-resolution audio or low-latency audio (e.g. watching movies) over the Bluetooth connection, forget about it. It sounds good enough in SBC mode on my MacBook and iPhone though. There's no AAC (for Apple devices) support either.

The battery life is great, I'd ballpark it at 20-25 hours with ANC on. The build quality is alright. They're comfortable for sure - moreso than the Sennheisers, I found, and pretty on-par with the Plantronics. I don't know how well the earpads will hold up, but I don't have any concerns that these won't last at least a couple years of regular use. The hard case pack-in is nice as well.

I ended up getting these after deciding that none of the $120-150 ANC headphones had what I want - will save my money for future mid-range models, or maybe one day bite the bullet and get the 1000XM3 or QC35. Cliffnotes:
  • Sennheiser HD4.50 BTNC - good sound quality and ANC, but no AAC (for Apple devices) and kind of uncomfortable (earcup design and clamping force)
  • Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2 - I probably would've kept this of the bunch, they were comfortable, have aptX and AAC, sounded good, and were well priced; wasn't crazy about the looks though and the ANC wasn't as good as the Senns or the Sonys
  • Sony XB-950N1 - also have aptX and AAC, sounded good, and had decent ANC, but felt kind of cheap and were the bulkiest of the lot
Feb 11, 2016
305 posts
196 upvotes
DarkReaper wrote:
Jan 28th, 2019 3:09 pm
Rtings is a good option too. Not sure what you have against an active community, and why you feel the need to blanket entire communities in such a way. There are many posts that involve frequency responses if you want a science behind it.

Keep an open mind. The best thing to do is to compare multiple reviews and see what overlaps.
I have observed both of those communities for the last 6 years by peeking in from time & time. They are trash and a waste of time. head-fi was actively deleting threads at one point who brought any scientific view point.
Aug 12, 2015
205 posts
115 upvotes
Concord, ON
I bought a pair of noise cancelling earbuds from Taotronics. The cable came with it is unreplaceable and very fragile. The earbuds broke in a month when they caught by a doorknob. The sound wasn't bad, but the built wasn't worth the $50 I paid for.
Jan 19, 2013
243 posts
83 upvotes
I tried a couple of cheap headphones too , they are all thrash unfortunately .. better pay for a good headphone like the bose qc 25 for 150 $ ( it went on sale earlier , should go again soon since its not a bluetooth model ), or there is a sony headphone that used to go on sale on costco mdx-zx7 80dc ( it sold for around 130 $ last . now they sell another model which is good too with better noise isolation , retails around 200 $ when on sale or 250 $ otherwise ) .. no need to go for super expensive headphones, rather in the 150 - 200 $ range you can get a good headphone ( I am not an expert just mentioned a few headphones I know about , there are many good ones out there others can comment )..

its fine if you have not heard a good headphone before but once you hear these you realize that the cheaper headphones are mostly thrash .. I used a few cheap ones too before I came to realize this , a good headphone is an investment that lasts a long time .. ( its actually worth it to spend around 150 $ on a good headphone than 60 $ for a piece of thrash ) ..