• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2020 1:48 pm
[OP]
Sep 12, 2006
376 posts
29 upvotes
Brantford

[Amazon.ca] TaoTronics Air Purifier $72.99 after discounts

TaoTronics Air Purifier for Home. Clip the $15 coupon, then add APDEI2DZ when checking out to bring the total down to $72.99. Regular $107.99
11 replies
Sep 9, 2012
218 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone who has this can comment on quality and filters availability/ pricing? How long do filters last?
Jan 13, 2013
79 posts
62 upvotes
AURORA
Have this. Don't know if it's making a difference, can't tell at all.
Jun 4, 2007
44 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks Op, will give it a try, decent price with discos
Feb 24, 2018
435 posts
205 upvotes
Wait they make air purifiers? I bought a wired/bluetooth computer soundbar from them a few weeks ago on sale for $50 and I'm now questioning if it was such a wise choice lol. Probably just some rebranded generic Chinese electronic then. Then again, it was only $50.
Mar 21, 2005
130 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto
PHuth2 wrote: Wait they make air purifiers? I bought a wired/bluetooth computer soundbar from them a few weeks ago on sale for $50 and I'm now questioning if it was such a wise choice lol. Probably just some rebranded generic Chinese electronic then. Then again, it was only $50.
Most likely they make nothing. They are just a marketing branding reseller company for chinese manufacturers. This is about the same for 95% of the brands out there. maye 99%, never really researched to get accurate numbers.

Some better brands, might offer some quality control for what they buy or at least give good after sale service and replacement.

Very few, will actually work with the manufacturers to develop or modify the design/materials/process and try to sell something more exclusive (usually gets copied and re-sold by all the others).

So no need to feel bad.
Dec 16, 2020
14 posts
27 upvotes
Hi guys

I have been lurking RFD for a while and decided to create an account to tell you guys do NOT buy this air purifer. If you're looking for actionable results this is not going to do you justice.
Do yourself a favour and research the industry standards on air purifying. If you really just want cheap air purification, buy a box fan, and get a HEPA filter from your HVAC system rated MER 13 and stick it on the back.
If you want something fancy, like this one, but is truly functional and purifies air at a reasonable wattage, noise volume, and effectiveness - then this is not the one.

Also you're stuck buying the HEPA filters for this unit at an exortbent cost.
Mar 21, 2005
130 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto
Luquinho wrote: Hi guys

I have been lurking RFD for a while and decided to create an account to tell you guys do NOT buy this air purifer. If you're looking for actionable results this is not going to do you justice.
Do yourself a favour and research the industry standards on air purifying. If you really just want cheap air purification, buy a box fan, and get a HEPA filter from your HVAC system rated MER 13 and stick it on the back.
If you want something fancy, like this one, but is truly functional and purifies air at a reasonable wattage, noise volume, and effectiveness - then this is not the one.

But the cool design and graphics makes this model look so high quality... can we just assume that all air purifiers are basically just a good filter strapped to a fan, or is there more to be expected or desired?
Jul 27, 2015
133 posts
60 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Thank you +1
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2008
1405 posts
731 upvotes
Hamilton

Good call :)

Agreed, anyone with a central air systems should be good if they have high MER rated air filters (Theoretically and if your HVAC support it?).

I have a Honeywell electronic air filter and don't feel we need any higher rated filter. Once I tried a 3M 2200 series air filter and it's almost chocked my furnace hence had to back to electronic filter.

Anyone consider to upgrade(!) their filter, make sure your HVAC is designed for that. Furnace may pause operation due to air flow bottleneck which may trigger heat switch and you may get chilly on extreme cold days.